Skip to content

Wish list; what should Beamdogs next project be?

DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
Perhaps Beamdog have started a new project, perhaps they havent. In any case, I thought it would be good to let the devs know what their loyal fans want to see in the future.

Please motivate your choice.
  1. Wish list; what should Beamdogs next project be?16 votes
    1. Arcanum
      18.75%
    2. Arcanum
        0.00%
    3. Arcanum
        6.25%
    4. Arcanum
      12.50%
    5. Arcanum
      12.50%
    6. Arcanum
      37.50%
    7. Arcanum
        0.00%
    8. Arcanum
      12.50%

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Dang, this will be difficult. I'm torn between Arcanum, Arcanum, Arcanum, Arcanum, Arcanum, Arcanum, Arcanum and Arcanum. Ah well...

Arcanum, I choose you!

Arcanum's one of the best RPG's out there. And given my love for anything steampunk, I'd buy an EE in an heartbeat. Female Half-Orc Bride of Frankenstein with an unhealthy interest in therapeutics? Yes, please!
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Kurona said:

Something NEW.

There is Pillars of Eternity, Eschalon 1,2 & 3, Kotor 1&2, Tyrant, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, The Witcher, UnderRail, Tahira, Balrum, Darkest Dungeon, The Age of Decadence, Legends of Grimrock, Avadon and Aarklash Legacy (lol, ok fine, kidding, Arklash Legacy sucks major donkey balls)... among other titles. Surely, there is room for one company that instead polishes old titles!!?

Though, with that said, I would not mind something completely new... it is just that I prefer Arcanum enhanced edition b4 pretty much anything else. Well, except a new Shadowrun of course, but we already have one company working on those. Oh, and I would be willing to kill... uh... a gerbil... for Red Steel 3.
    1. Aquire the rights of the Arcanum IP
    2. Publish Arcanum: EE
    3. Plan an all-new Arcanum sequel
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT

Given that Beamdog's division is actually called 'Overhaul Games', I see no problem in the timeline above. ;)
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I'd rather someone just kickstarted an Arcanum sequel, since they already had an outline for that. And I think Tim Cain and Obsidian would be a better fit for Arcanum enhanced edition imo.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    As I have never played Arcanum, I cannot address that question. However I would like to thank you for the grin, Sir. :)
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I feel like I'm the last person who actively wants IWD2ee.

I suppose that ship has sailed long ago. Not much reason left to visit here I am afraid.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    IWD2
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited May 2017
    Please, don't bother creating polls like these.
    Post edited by O_Bruce on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Not interested in re-buying any old games unless they include new content.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    If it ain't true D&D style, take it on back, and leave it in the black. B)
    Zaghoul said:

Oh puh-lease. The biggest merit DND has was that for a time they were king of the hill (if they were first, I cannot say, but I know they dominated). But now there is a gazillion alternative role playing systems.

It's like claiming McDonalds is better than Subway, because they were first.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited May 2017
    DrakeICN said:

Zaghoul said:

Oh puh-lease. The biggest merit DND has was that for a time they were king of the hill (if they were first, I cannot say, but I know they dominated). But now there is a gazillion alternative role playing systems.

DrakeICN said:

Zaghoul said:

@DrakeICN Well since the thread was what a wish list would be for BEAMDOGs next project, I figured it was opinion. It is just what I prefer and like over the last 40+ years, nothing since has really grabbed my attn. That is why. I don't care about firsts or even mind what others may like better. Fair enough? I am getting the feeling you love Arcanum ;) To each his own :)B)
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
    DrakeICN said:

Zaghoul said:

D&D was first, and it spawned many imitatiors, especially in the early 80s, most of which are largely forgotten.

So it's like comparing McDonalds to [insert name of defunct fast food chain that no one remembers].
    Just like White Castle was there before McDonalds, Chainmail existed before D&D. The train of thought that tabletop games other than D&D should be compared with defunct businesses is also quite a wanky one.

Most actually grew in size and successfully established themselves into various countries even to this day. RuneQuest, MERS, Midgard, Das Schwarze Auge and Drakar och Demoner, anyone? The list is steadily growing each year. All with their own unique appeal. Like everything else, it all comes down to a matter of taste.
    Chainmail was a tabletop wargame, not an RPG.

There where a lot more than that in 1982, and you didn't have to look to non-English language games for examples.
    Actually I did have to. Me being a German gamer who grew up playing DSA. Some actually prefer games in their mother language you know. I learned to play Drakar och Demoner just by chance though via a fan translation. After that, I took an interest in the Swedish language as a whole and self-studied it a bit for fun.

As for Chainmail. It is actually listed as an fantasy tabletop wargame, which is almost identical to the very first D&D. In Germany it is simply known as just another fantasy tabletop game.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    This is the funniest poll in a while! I would love an Arcanum EE since I've been itching to play it but my GOG version doesn't work without the annoying stuttering and reduced framerate issue which is unfortunately too common.

Some people should learn to not take everything so seriously though.

Actually I did have to. Me being a German gamer who grew up playing DSA. Some actually prefer games in their mother language you know. I learned to play Drakar och Demoner just by chance though via a fan translation. After that, I took an interest in the Swedish language as a whole and self-studied it a bit for fun.

As for Chainmail. It is actually listed as an fantasy tabletop wargame, which is almost identical to the very first D&D. In Germany it is simply known as just another fantasy tabletop game.

That makes quite a difference, since the huge 80s RPG boom was almost entirely in English, with the hobby spreading to (non-English speaking) Europe at the end of the 80s, as it was starting to decline in the USA.

D&D originally used the same rules as Chainmail, yes. But it repurposed them from a war-game to a storytelling game.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Hmmmmm.... It's a difficult choice but I think I'll go with Arcanum, since you forgot to add Arcanum, Arcanum, ToEE, and Arcanum to the list of options. :wink:

On a serious note, I'd actually love to try out Arcanum but I'm worried it might not work well under Windows 10. Does anyone have experience with this?
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Some Russian fans of Arcanum have actually made what amounts to Arcanum:EE. Haven't tried it out yet, so I have no opinion on this. Apparently it works with the GOG version as well.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760410053
    edited May 2017
    Just tested this so-called Arcanum Multiverse Edition on my GOG copy with Win10. So far so good. Basically, it's an install package of all the most popular old Arcanum mods, combined with an custom launcher, widescreen mod, fixes and then some.

It's handy and gets the job done for new folks and old players who recently did a fresh OS install. But I still wouldn't call it an unofficial Arcanum:EE. For that I'd at least expect a quality UI for higher resolutions or something.
    Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
    But they rip out the broken combat system and replace it with something similar to Shadowrun? Because that is what needs to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFsDIXEJ5RQ
    No. :worried:
    Which is a good thing. Because I prefer Arcanum's battles over Shadowrun's. Mainly because Arcanum lets me switch between Realtime, Turn Based and Fast Turn Based on the fly. The list of games allowing such a thing is incredible short.
    Rip out the dreary graphics and replace them with something that looks nice too.
    procco said:

Some Russian fans of Arcanum have actually made what amounts to Arcanum:EE. Haven't tried it out yet, so I have no opinion on this. Apparently it works with the GOG version as well.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760410053

Thanks @Procco! Didn't know about this and I really want to play a full playthrough but the stuttering drove me mad! Will try this version asap. I guess I have to create a new char though.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Talking about steampunk, did you know that CD Projekt, creators of Witcher trilogy, are already working on RPG Cyberpunk 2077 https://youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

It's my native company, so I had to commend

Which is a good thing. Because I prefer Arcanum's battles over Shadowrun's. Mainly because Arcanum lets me switch between Realtime, Turn Based and Fast Turn Based on the fly. The list of games allowing such a thing is incredible short.

Sorry must disagree with you there. The one and only reason I have never done a rerun of Arcanum is because the combat is so dreary.
    Fardragon said:

Rip out the dreary graphics and replace them with something that looks nice too.

Certainly wouldnt mind a retouch of the graphics, but they arent outright ugly. The graphics have never been an issue for me, for any of the Fallout engine games. In fact, they are rather stylish - using a flamethrower is nice graphically. I'd say that is the last priority - first the combat system have to pimped, then all the broken quests have to be fixed, then all the loose ends have to be tied, then more quests should be added, then more areas have to be added (after midgame, there is very very little point in exploring the maps, at all), then they should add more prostitutes to the existing brothel and more brothels, and then add more flavours of coffee for the coffee/nicotine energy pills... and then they could fix the graphics.
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183

Probably because it's almost impossible to make work? Real time in Arcanum was incredibly broken. Shouldn't be in the game at all.

Probably because it's almost impossible to make work? Real time in Arcanum was incredibly broken. Shouldn't be in the game at all.
    Wasn't all combat in Arcanum 'broken'? I haven't played so much, just one almost full playthrough many, many years ago and a new one now (put on hold due to the graphics lag), but IMHO the game seem unreasonably biased towards melee/"APR" builds. Maybe other builds are equally strong in actual combat but I can't see how other builds can net the same amount of EXP as the high attack-rating melee build does with the game's odd EXP-per-hit config. This means builds with low attack speeds will fall behind considerably in levels by comparison and thus be "weaker" even if their actual skills are better.

But as said, I am far, far from an expert and might be completely wrong in my assumptions. But when we compared my halforc speed sword melee/dodge character (8-10 attacks per round?) vs my brothers rifle (1 attack per round) my guy gained levels like crazy whilst his was stuck as low level and he had to grind bears in the woods relying on his NPCs to do most of the job.