Skip to content

Infinity Engine vs 3D environment

ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
I made a poll to know the preference of people around here. So, do you prefer IE pre-rendered backgrounds to 3D environment ?

I for one much prefer IE aesthetic to 3D environment. Maybe that's because I studied history of art in college, but I think pre-rendered background are much more beautiful than 3D environment, because they kind of remind me of the work of past masters. I just can't seem to care much about 3D environments.

It might be because I'm an older gamer who's use to simpler aesthetic (I like the Wizardry series, for example), but I think it's also because I like how pre-rendered represent a universe. The style appeals to me.

So, what's your personal preference ?
  1. Infinity Engine vs 3D environment24 votes
    1. Pre-rendered background.
      91.67%
    2. 3D environment.
        8.33%
Post edited by Arctodus on

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    My favourite style of exploring involves a lot of jumping, climbing and swimming. A 3D world environment simply allows more freedom of movement.

The biggest plus side of an 3D environment however is that people can generally reskin all meshes with custom landscape textures on the fly. Thanks to that even old games like Morrowind can look like modern triple A titles.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Technology is really cool, but IWD might be the single most beautiful game I've ever played. Lovingly, painstakingly hand-drawn backgrounds FTW.