Skip to content

Nostalgia for each portion of the BG series

ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
I just thought I would ask a question concerning moving on to each new portion of the BG series.

I often find myself not wanting to move on from the land of BG. There is just something about it that is extra special.
It is not that I don't look forward to going into SoD and esp. BG2. But I always go into that last battle with Saervok thinking it will be missed.
Same with moving on from BG2 to ToB. Maybe because it brings that particular character closer to the end of the game, and having to move to another character. Maybe because it is where CHARNAME cuts his teeth on getting stronger. Those first forays out of CK always seem the most exciting. I know I, and I imagine others get attached to certain characters, but there is something else to it as well. It may just be because it was the first as well.
I have always enjoyed the little mods that add a little more adventure to the land of BG.

Anyone have similar thoughts? Just curious.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Gorion's encounter at the ambush rings the nostalgia bell hard for me everytime. I'd be surprised if I didn't occasionally recite it in my sleep.
  • CabushaCabusha Member Posts: 8
    Yeah, I get it. Baldur's Gate is very much a traditional D&D adventure. BG2 changes the scope to something more "magnificent" as you gain power, unravel a more personal story, and attain power to take on some of the most powerful forces (Dragons, Illithid, Beholders, etc). And then TOB things just go full insane. Any pretense of mere mortality is pretty much stripped as you become a true power of the realm, with Powe akin to the gods.

Each very much had their place and their own special charm.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    The bridge to Baldur's Gate. Its daytime music is my favorite track in the whole game, plus the anticipation of crossing the bridge into the city.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHhD6Kzq5PY
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2017
    Probably the hell trials in SoA.. Short but really fun segment and I enjoyed the manifestations of Fear, pride, wrath, greed and selfishness..Before the final showdown with Irenicus.

And yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH3F6C8Wo6M
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    It's not nostalgia for BG, it's the way BG has a nostalgia for "Merrie Olde England". It celebrates for me my cultural upbringing.
    I know it's Canadian, but the accents, the Monty Pythonesque humour, the towns/villages, it's an England that perhaps never really existed but we want to believe it did.

Would anyone be that surprised if you bumped into Robin Hood, Will Scarlet or Little John in the Wood of Sharp Teeth?
    Or met a knight from Camelot?
    Or a pilgrim on their way to Canterbury?
    You could put them all into BG and they would fit seamlessly.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @ThacoBell I always wanted to see some artwork on, that encounter, from CHARNAMEs point of view, as the opposition comes strolling out of the woods. I still enjoy that bit as it really seems to signify the real start.

@cabusha Yeah, ToB really gets crazy on a power lvl, probably my least favorite, but entering Saradush is kinda interesting each time. Sort of the beginning of the end for me. I tend to enjoy low to mid lvls the best it seems.

@Flashburn Agreed, the crossover at the bridge is like the opening of a new half of the game for me, in a sense. So many places to look into.

@batoor I do like the trials and the choices to make. The scrape with Irenicus and his bad of demons that join in is always a bit of excitement as well, happens so fast. The fight music does seem to liven one up for it.

@UnderstandMouseMagic That's part of the reason I like these fantasy settings the most, pretty close to RL at those times, well, sans magic. I always took a liking in school to medieval studies. But even with that, I can imagine ppls views on magic and other worldliness were more open than we are now.

We each seem to have our favorite bits, which is good, and probably helped keep the game going for so long. :)
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The satisfaction I felt when I beat that arrogant Irenicus bastard for the 1st time was probably the best moment in any RPG I've ever played. I jumped out of my chair and gave a fist pump when I saw those demons dragging him down to Hell! Throne of Bhaal never gave me the same feel because Mellisan just wasn't around long enough for me to hate her like that.

Beating Werdna in Wizardry was close but I was much younger then...
    @Balrog99 That was an enjoyable scene, with Mr. Big's magic failing and him taking a full dive into a lava pool. Yeah, Ifeel a bit of the same with Mellisan, she is to new a character at the end of the series. I like the guys that keep hounding a character over and over again in BG and in PnP. Gives ya time to build up a real negative feeling to them, as they are always just out of reach most of the time.
    @tbone1 Yeah, that is a pretty monumental moment in the game, always. Mean and nasty lil hobbits >:) those are to.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited May 2017
    I feel nostalgia when crossing the Bridge to Baldur's Gate. At that time, the free roaming through wilderness areas is pretty much over. There's still a final patch of wilderness to be found on Balduran's Isle, but I like most the wandering through forests as a low-level character, with the apprehension that any encounter might spell your doom, when even a kobold or xvart is an enemy that shouldn't be underestimated as when they hit a critical hit on you, it hurts bad.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Low level is always more fun to me as well. At that level all spells make sense. The higher up you go the less the fun spells matter (colour spray for instance).
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

I feel nostalgia when crossing the Bridge to Baldur's Gate. At that time, the free roaming through wilderness areas is pretty much over. There's still a final patch of wilderness to be found on Balduran's Isle, but I like most the wandering through forests as a low-level character, with the apprehension that any encounter might spell your doom, when even a kobold or xvart is an enemy that shouldn't be underestimated as when they hit a critical hit on you, it hurts bad.

^So this! BG is one of the few games I have replayed a lot ('cause sadly I don't have the time to play the many good games out there even once), and crossing that bridge into the city is typically where I end my replay because those early levels, early chapters, and the glorious wilderness areas are what I love so much about that game.
    @Son_of_Imoen I do like the massive forest travel as well. It's a real bummer when you get a new CHARNAME going and then some lousy xvart ganks you with one hit. I think I have had one of those low lvl critters of some sort do a critical of over a dozen HP of damage.

@lroumen That does seem to be a common thing we share with many here. After a point it gets to where in the ToB portion that every man, brother, cousin and his dog has magic weapons and smack down potential. By the time we get to the end of BG we are pretty powerful, then t is start over again as the low man in the field in BG2, a little similar, but way more dangerous than BG start.

@kanisatha That has been one of turning points if I don't like a CHARNAME, the bridge. Honestly though, years ago when I first started out with PnP, we rarely got past 10th lvl because it was more roleplay and less constant fighting, and certainly not littered with magic items. That may be why I tend to enjoy the lower lvls. Seems like one has to put more careful thought into surviving.

Shoot, I remember being around age 12 or so and even the giant rats in the Caves of Chaos module (one of THE best) scared the dickens out of us, hehheh. :) But for any who started at a young age and it was all new, just about everything seemed dangerous as all get out.
    @Artona Im hearin ya. Although ToB is not my favorite part of the series by far, it does have that epic lvl thing going on. The city attacked by giants was pretty awesome, I will say that. Biblical scale, yep, Id say that's a pretty good way to describe it. B) A dad that played BG, that's pretty cool.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    The Iliad eh? I was thinking more of the Odyssey when I first met a cyclops!
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I 100% agree here, BG is filled with all sorts of minor quests and little hints of things here and there and all sorts of things to explore that you wont find even after 20 runs or more. Just a totally less rigid experience then in BG2/TOB so its not at all uncommon for me to do BG1/SOD only runs.

I still havent done a whole BG2EE run actually.
    @WarChiefZeke Since I started adding mods last year I rarely get to BG2 myself lately. So many new things to try out. I added Herbs and Potions tonight and it adds lots of little goodies to tinker with. Seems like BG took the time to make just about every building accessible, even if it did not have much inside.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @Zaghoul - both my parents played BG. ;)
    Artona said:

@Zaghoul - both my parents played BG. ;)

@artona Mine only played bridge, worked, and went out dancing, back in the day before the home computer. Although I do have one uncle near 80, a die hard marine in Vietnam, that got into fantasy literature some how, big time :) it was my older brother that brought D&D back from Duke one weekend and got us hooked before high school years.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Probably my most nostalgic memory in vanilla BG was entering the titular City of Baldur's Gate for the first time. I don't know exactly why. Maybe it's because the city shares a name with the game itself. Maybe because of animaiton when entering the city. Or maybe because of the music in the city itself (although the track is named "Candlekeep", and is not used in the first area of BG in Enhanced Editions for some reason).
    Or maybe it's because I was eager to explore the city, since I couldn't access it earlier.

I have other fond memories as well, but that one sticks the most. Nonetheless, I try to keep healthy distance from feeling nostalgic while playing. While nostalgia is beautiful feeling, it is also a terrible advisor, reality filter and can bring out the worst in people, if my experience iwth internet is anything to go by.
    @O_Bruce Yeah, that always seems like the 'going to the big city for the first time' in RL kinda feeling.

Would you speak a little more on the worst of ppl , regarding nostalgia, please? I'm interested in that concept. :) Is that regarding prejudices regarding certain games or bias's ppl can develop?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    First I need to state that what I said about nostalgia is not limited only to videogames as a medium. Before I start, sorry for my message being longer than I wanted, but I think that some examples are required.

When speaking "dark side" of nostalgia, I mean mostly:
    1. Nostalgia can prevent people from moving on and experience other games/shows. Example: "I was raised on X. X is the best, and Y, Z and other ones are inferior by default".

2. Nostalgia can create a strong bias, which can make people go ballistic if next game/show/book is somehow different than others. I can understand that one if the difference is drastic, but not about small insignificant changes. As an example, there was an topic on this forum which title suggested the OP is going to talk about huge problems of Enhanced Editions. Turned out, he meant minor things like monster spawing system or thieving mechanics (which sucks, regardless if we talk about vanilla or EEs).

Example2: Genwunners in Pokemon.

3. Further about bias, it can make person to ignore obvious, glaring flaws in work of culture they enjoy. Examples: the stash space in Diablo 3 is too small and need sorting system, but stash in Diablo 2 is perfect, despite being several times smaller, had no sorting system and you couldn't safely transfer items from one character to the other.

Example 2: "Lightsabers duels in prequel trilogy of Star Wars are bad and are lacking any mood or substance", but Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader in Episode IV is excelelnt, despite everything being wrong with it: pacing, choreography, montage, mood etc. I cannot literally point of worse lightsaber fight scene.

Example 3: The ending scene in Godzilla (2014). Many people who were raised on watching movies featuring the titular monster appreciated people (in the movie) cheering that Godzilla was alive, I found that scene insulting to my intelligence. People lost their homes, many died and they still cheered that this huge monster that contributed in destroying their city was alive? And naming it a hero? Sorry, in-universe avarage citizen doesn't know a damn about Kaijus and has every reason to be afraid of his/her future at that point.

4. Also that bias can make a person unable or unvilling to acknowledge good features of choosen product of culture. The opposite of point 3. Let's take me as an example. I can hate the living daylights of Fallout 4 and the company behind it, but even I can accept that it has some good features, like improved gunplay or graphic in comparison to Fallout 3 and Fallotut New Vegas.

5. And finally, I experienced that (at least I think so) due to nostalgia people can put themselves in higher position than you in conversation ("I watched/played original xyz so I know better. You're stupid, the new xyz is for retards"). I don't need to explain why thinink yourself as superior because you have memories of playing/watching particual entry in the franchise is stupid and rude. Worst yet if such person insults other people and all of 4 previous points are applied.

And lastly, which is related to points 3 and 4. I do think that if a person truly considers himself/herself a great fan of something (due to nostalgia or not), he or she should be able to notice both advantages of disadvantages of their beloved franchises. Abillity to take notice of both is important when giving a feedback, which can affect next entry in the franchise. If person who is blinded by nostalgia gives feedback and demands a features that were not-so great or ignore new solutions, it's not good. Feedback like that is worthless.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @Mantis37 - tbh, Saradush and Iliad bear way too many similiarities. I mean - siege of the city with giants and demigods, and the best warrior of attacking forces was made invulnerable by his mother... Coincidence? Don't think so. ;)
    @O_Bruce That is what I was thinking you meant. To sum it up, change, it is often hard for people, in many different things and parts of life. But I always figure if ppl like something and are connected to it in a way that is interesting as well.Sometimes there are just preferences, not bad in and of itself. But yeah it can sometimes interfere with seeing new things, although I don't necessarily see that as a negative thing all the time. With time and older age, that nostalgia can often keep ppl feeling young sometimes, and connect with others,kinda like the ol guys that sit around "wherever' and reminisce about old times.
    High School seems to be where we often have many likes that stick with us for a long time, formative period it is and all.

But I'm hearing ya. I just see positive and negative aspects is all. Interesting comments, thanks for expounding on them. :)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Going to pitch in here with my thoughts on nostalgia.

It seems to me that "nostalgia" used as a negative is only used when something new needs selling.

Nobody suggests that listening to the Beatles is "nostalgic", or that a person who says "Beatles, greatest band ever" is suffering from nostalgia. It's recognised as legitimate opinion. It can be argued with, fair enough, but the argument is not dismissed with a catch all phrase that belittles the person holding that opinion.
    (and don't believe for an instant that those selling wouldn't use "nostalgia" if they could get away with it about the Beatles, just that they would sound like a dick)

We live in an age where consumerism rules everything, selling is the holy grail.
    Don't be taken in by the idea that just because something is new, it has some intrinsic value. It can be judged objectively against what has come before, and it can be lacking, objectively.
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Right, new is not always better for each person, or even everyone in general. And regards consumerism right on. BUT, good points brought up by each of you here. Thanks for getting in on the idea. :)