Skip to content

NPCs behave as though my reputation is much lower?

KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
I've noticed that certain NPCs behave as though my reputation is very low, despite being at 14 according to my character record. Garrick, Kivan, Aldeth Sashenstar, that dude who keeps talking about karma in the wilderness area with the red mages, among others, just dismiss my PC as though they want nothing to do with me. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Post edited by Knettgummi on

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Does your CHARNAME (or NPC in the leader slot) have low Charisma? Both Charisma and Reputation affect NPC reactions (in fact, low Charisma will easily nullify any Reputation bonus). Try putting a high Charisma character in the leader (first) slot.
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    Not particularly low. I think 8 or 9, though I'll have to check. I've never noticed this effect before, though. A lot of the NPCs, like Garrick, Xan and Kivan never gave me a chance to recruit them. I'm on a solo run anyways, so it's not really a problem, but it seems strange to me. I can post a savegame here later.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    To determine an NPCs reaction, take the base value of 10 and apply the Reputation and Charisma modifiers. A result of 7 or less results in "hostile" reaction.

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/files/2da/2da_bgee/rmodchr.htm
    https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/files/2da/2da_bgee/rmodrep.htm

With a 14 Reputation (+1 modfier), a Charisma of 7 or lower (-4 modifier) will skew reactions to Hostile.

• KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    Wow, I never realized charisma had such a big impact on reactions. I can't count how many times I've played this game, and this is the first time I've noticed NPCs flat out not wanting to talk to my character.

I just checked​, and my charisma is indeed 7, which explains what's going on. That drop from 8 to 7 is very noticeable. Thanks for clearing it up for me. :-)