Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

tweak idea to hit enchantments

DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 372
I always seem the enchantment only hit system from weapons is not the balanced things in bg2, despite only a low amount of enemies need +4 or higher weapon to hit. But what if a tweak, that only leaves two type of enchantment in monster mean, the magical and non- magical weapons. And top of that the stronger monsters gain damage reduction. The weapons keep their enchantments to gain to hit bonuses but a dozens of weapons will be valid until the end of game.

What do you think ?
lolien

Comments

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 7,155
    edited May 19
    Figuring out which creatures need to be changed would be an minor unholy nightmare.

My personal solution (in a publicly available mod, if you're interested) is:

+1 weapons are barely enchanted at all; more like expertly crafted and with some exotic/superior/semi-magical materials. They are called "mastercraft weapon" but no change to what they can hit.

No-name, generic +2 and +3 weapons are all converted to +2 and called simply "enchanted weapon." (While they have +2 bonuses to thac0 and damage, I could see an argument that their Enchantment level, for purposes of what they can hit, should be +3, just to simplify things.)

Weapons with names and history and lore keep their original stats (some only have +1 to thac0/damage, like mastercraft weapons), but their enchantment level is +3 for purposes of being able to hit enemies. Every 4th-wall-breaking "+" is stripped out of their names; all you have to remember is, if it has a name it can hit as a +3 weapon.

End-game weapons, including all +5 and +6 weapons, and all upgraded weapons, can hit as +5.

By and large, this allows me to basically ignore the question of what can hit who, and instead focus on how useful different weapons are for different characters in different circumstances. This is especially so if you combine my mod with Item Revisions.

EDIT - maybe I should simplify it. Make all normal + mastercraft hit as +1, all enchanted weapons hit as +3, and all artifact-level weapons hit as +5.
    Post edited by subtledoctor on
    Danacm
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 409
    Danacm said:

I always seem the enchantment only hit system from weapons is not the balanced things in bg2, despite only a low amount of enemies need +4 or higher weapon to hit. But what if a tweak, that only leaves two type of enchantment in monster mean, the magical and non- magical weapons. And top of that the stronger monsters gain damage reduction. The weapons keep their enchantments to gain to hit bonuses but a dozens of weapons will be valid until the end of game.

What do you think ?

I think this is a great idea. The whole "I need +1 to hit x, +2 to hit y, +3 to hit z and +4 to hit a" is horrible.
    Frankly, I'd remove the "non-magical weapon immunity" as well. Why would one use a regular 1d8 longsword if you have 1d8+1 longsword which is better in every single aspect anyway? Simpler = better imo.
    Danacm
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 372
    Yes, it sad to need meta the items to kill some foes, even in bg1. If you can use any weapon to hit any creature you the whole game would be more user friendly, and fun to use whatever weapon you find.