Skip to content

Any Information On What the Story Would Have Been Had Imoen Been Killed?

This question stems from the thread started by @Wandering_Ranger about Nalia "the Lady of the Rings".
It's common knowledge that the decision to make Imoen a Bhaalspawn and keep her alive was quite late(?) and is often used as a reason why the character development is so unfinished.

I am constantly amazed about the information people have managed to dig up about BG, so just wondering if anything has been found relating to what the story was going to be had they stuck to the original outline.

Comments

• AttalusAttalus Member Posts: 156
    I don't have any, sorry, but I sure am going to follow this thread in case somebody else does. :)
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    I think the game would pretty much be the same except more FF7-y (SoA-wise) and a lot less cheery/optimistic.

If Imoen dies, Yoshimo sticks around and becomes a ToB NPC. The rest of the story doesn't need to change much at all since the only time Imoen is really important post-Spellhold is during Sarevok's bargain, and you can just offer a portion of your soul to give to him instead.
    It would be interesting to see how Yoshimo would react to Sarevok though, they'll probably try to kill each other at some point unless you convince Sarevok to change.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Nuin

I think a lot would change.

There's some buried stuff that has been mentioned here about how the Shadow Thieves were the main instigators of the kidnap, that they knew Irenicus or that perhaps that he was working for them?

Some of the dialog that still appears in the game doesn't add up at the moment and it stems from that. Irenicus saying "they act so soon" right at the beginning as if he expected them. Also some bits of the Aran Linvail dialog. (I'm sorry I can't remember what thread that discussion appeared in to give you a link.)

It would change Bodhi's motivations, perhaps being a vampire did countract the curse? (it's always seemed a bit dodgy/convenient that vampirism wouldn't counteract the curse seeing that vampires are always considered souless)

And Yoshimo would either have to be killed as now or some way to remove the geas (which would be a much better resolution to the Tamoko story in BG if you added him to TOB with Sarevok).

There's lots of ways the story could change, I was just hoping there might be some knowledge that's floating around as to what was the original outline.
    For Imoen to be so under developed (according to those who play with her) there must have been quite some length of time when the assumption was that she would die.

edited May 2017
    I don't think any of those things have to change drastically if Imoen was supposed to die in Spellhold. Or did you mean that you read that she was supposed to die earlier?
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    She was originally supposed to die at Spellhold while the player was trying to rescue her. If I remember correctly, playtesters complained about working half the game to free her only to have their efforts auto-fail, so the decision was made shortly before release to let Imoen live. However, the game was nearly content-locked at that point so there wasn't time to write or record the usual interactions with other party members, which is why she's essentially mute once rescued (at least until Throne of Bhaal which was written later).

jsaving said:

She was originally supposed to die at Spellhold while the player was trying to rescue her. If I remember correctly, playtesters complained about working half the game to free her only to have their efforts auto-fail, so the decision was made shortly before release to let Imoen live. However, the game was nearly content-locked at that point so there wasn't time to write or record the usual interactions with other party members, which is why she's essentially mute once rescued (at least until Throne of Bhaal which was written later).

Thanks for that.

So that would affect the Bodhi storyline we have now?
    Unless it was the removing soul that killed her?

Another question would be was Imoen always a Bhaalspawn?
    Or was that added as well when it was changed that she would die?

One of the problems I have with Imoen is the whole "she's so good and wholesome and bloody cheerful the Bhaaltaint isn't manifested".
    If you are going down the road of nature versus nuture, which is a central theme of BG with Charname and emphasised in TOB, Imoen throws that out of window as it comes down completely to nature. It undermines all the hell trials, conversations with the Solar ect., no point if it comes down to nature.

• fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    I don't remember anything clear about her being a bhaalspawn or not origionally. Though it is an easy base assumption for why Irenicus would have interest in her. it may have been tacked on as part of it. Either way It's made pretty clear that she's much weaker than charname in these respects so it may well be something Irenicus just stumbled on trying to capture Charname.

But otherwise not much would change. you just wouldn't be able to recruit her from Spellhold. She'd still have been captured and all of that stuff in the beginning of the game.

As for the issue between Irenicus and the Shadow Thieves. I'd have to go looking but I believe there is some information in his lair... Or maybe it was after that basically suggested he's been stepping on their toes and causing them problems with his wanton disreguard of anybodies authority. He's even imprisoned a few of them (or worked to have them replaced). His comments about them attacking a bit sooner than he expected is simply because he knew they would retaliate eventually. He just made preperations for that inevitability and so his statements add up quite fine in that reguard.

As for Bodhi. I'm not sure what your looking for here. There really isn't anything I know of for her part in the story to change at all. For the most part she's a separate storyline taking place in tandem with the rest of the events of SoA... but gets involved heavily in the main storyline because of her involvement with the Shadow Thieves/As an alternative route to get to Spellhold. A diversionary boss to be dealt with along the way.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Was Imoen "always" intended to be a Bhaalspawn? Depends how far back you're looking. In Shadows of Amn, yes, because there needed to be a reason for Irenicus to capture her. In the original Baldur's Gate, no. In fact, Imoen didn't even exist in early builds of BG1 and was only added to give players a good-aligned thief at early levels.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    jsaving said:

Was Imoen "always" intended to be a Bhaalspawn? Depends how far back you're looking. In Shadows of Amn, yes, because there needed to be a reason for Irenicus to capture her. In the original Baldur's Gate, no. In fact, Imoen didn't even exist in early builds of BG1 and was only added to give players a good-aligned thief at early levels.

Just imagine what the series would have looked like if the devs only gave her 15 INT.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    jsaving said:

Well there could be more than one reason for which Irenicus would capture Imoen.
    For example, he may use the fact you want to retrieve her because she is the only family (or what's closest to that since family aspects are rather complex in BG) you have left. And once you get to spellhold and Irenicus captures you again, there'd be no better way to "trigger" your Bhaalspawn essence than by killing your childhood friend right in front of you after you've been pursuing her for so long before the cutscene where you lose your powers triggers.
    @fateless

In the game (of course this is subjective) Bodhi comes across as a bit of a douche, she's all talk and it's very much Irenicus in control, of just about everything, she sounds quite pathetic when she suggests the hunting in Spellhold, "oooh look at me defying my big bro". Then you get to Suldenesselar and are told that she was maybe worse than him? more ambitious?
    Now I don't usually go down this road but that just struck me as sexist claptrap, always has to be an evil woman somehere driving these innocent men to do horrible things.

But the thing is, I can go with that, I can go with Bodhi being worse but then lets see it in game. Bodhi as more ruthless, more ambitious, just more evil if you like. Irenicus slightly overshadowed by his sister because he chickened out of the whole vampire thing.

To remove that inconsistancy, I'd like to see Bodhi as pure vampire, happy to be vampire, enjoying being a vampire, souls are for pussies. Her ambition and drive allowed her to take the ultimate step, who needs a soul, watch me wreck havoc, f*** you elves. But instead they basically nerf her.

It just brings a bit of balance and makes the Suldenesselar remarks more believable. It would also fit the "no elf would" speech as that's a thing (embracing vampirism) that they really wouldn't believe an elf would do surely?

It also would have opened up the possibility that Bodhi survives SOA and carries on to TOB, and having that continuation mixing up the oft complained about linear TOB would be an improvement.

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Probably horrible for me to say but I wish they stuck with this. SoA needed a good mid-game shake up to keep things interesting.
    jsaving said:

There were also objections from players the testing group who (like me :blush: ) loved Immie and were horribly disappointed to find her dead. I remember several comments about this on the old Bioware boards.
    jsaving said:

I distinctly remember David Gaider or one of the other devs commenting on the Bioware boards that Immie was only injected at the last minute into BG to provide a way for a first-level mage to make it alive to the Friendly Arm.

@Attalus

So you were there for the testing, the beginning, with Imoen still dying?

Was anything else different?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

Probably horrible for me to say but I wish they stuck with this. SoA needed a good mid-game shake up to keep things interesting.

losing your soul an becoming the sslayer was int enough for you?

@Attalus

So you were there for the testing, the beginning, with Imoen still dying?

Was anything else different?

I was on the Bioware boards just after the introduction of BG2. Not that I was a tester or anything (worse luck), but there were sure comments a flying

edited May 2017
    You got that Bodhi was underpresented from...? Because I was already pretty sure from the way her agents treated her enemies and any nearby innocents that she was obviously worse than the Shadow Thieves.

You can argue that she does seem a bit more tame around big brother, but Irenicus isn't really very stable where his past is concerned.
    Nuin said:

You got that Bodhi was underpresented from...? Because I was already pretty sure from the way her agents treated her enemies and any nearby innocents that she was obviously worse than the Shadow Thieves.

You can argue that she does seem a bit more tame around big brother, but Irenicus isn't really very stable where his past is concerned.

You speak for me, also. I always think of Bodhi as the incarnation of Chaotic Evil

edited May 2017

@fateless

In the game (of course this is subjective) Bodhi comes across as a bit of a douche, she's all talk and it's very much Irenicus in control, of just about everything, she sounds quite pathetic when she suggests the hunting in Spellhold, "oooh look at me defying my big bro". Then you get to Suldenesselar and are told that she was maybe worse than him? more ambitious?
    Now I don't usually go down this road but that just struck me as sexist claptrap, always has to be an evil woman somehere driving these innocent men to do horrible things.

But the thing is, I can go with that, I can go with Bodhi being worse but then lets see it in game. Bodhi as more ruthless, more ambitious, just more evil if you like. Irenicus slightly overshadowed by his sister because he chickened out of the whole vampire thing.

To remove that inconsistancy, I'd like to see Bodhi as pure vampire, happy to be vampire, enjoying being a vampire, souls are for pussies. Her ambition and drive allowed her to take the ultimate step, who needs a soul, watch me wreck havoc, f*** you elves. But instead they basically nerf her.

It just brings a bit of balance and makes the Suldenesselar remarks more believable. It would also fit the "no elf would" speech as that's a thing (embracing vampirism) that they really wouldn't believe an elf would do surely?

It also would have opened up the possibility that Bodhi survives SOA and carries on to TOB, and having that continuation mixing up the oft complained about linear TOB would be an improvement.

I was speaking purely in reguards to Imoen. There is nothing really between Imoen and Bodhi that I can think of that comes to mind in the story.

And As I stated in my post. Bodhi is a diversionary boss. Should she have been given a bit more? I could certainly agree with that. Might have been interesting to actually have to deal with her at the end with Irenicus or have had to deal with her After Irenicus as your actual final boss instead of before. But as she is set up in the game. She's simply a stop your forced to make on the way to Irenicus even though you already know where he is and could be more interested in going after him than dealing with her since she's basically secondary story.

Myself. I could have found it interesting to have to deal with both but you would have to choose which to deal with first. And based on which one you dealt with first would change the battle with the second in some way. having to deal with both as part of the Hell Encounter wouldn't have been that big of a switch up either because even though on the surface it looks like your final encounter with Irenicus. It's really all about Charname as the Bhaalspawn and self discovery.

It's arguable that technically the Irenicus you face there isn't actually Irenicus but simply a form that has been taken by some remnant piece of Bhaal instead and your facing a piece of your own heritage/inner turmoil come to life in a pocket hellscape so facing Bodhi there wouldn't be a stretch because if it is Irenicus the kind of shared fate they are supposed to have could have drawn her in. And if it isn't it would just be another representative form of Bhaal's power your conquering in yourself like the figures that you face in that end encounter really are.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I think the stuff about the connection between the thieves and Irenicus is likely what we missed out on. If you think about it really the whole reason for the guild war never seems to add up in the game. Bodhi may as well have lay low, and brought weaker prey over for Irenicus to play with so they never made enemies of the thieves to begin with. My guess in the original story was that Irenicus promised them a great payment for kidnapping charname but reneged or summing. And also that Imoen was not a Bhaalspawn originally, but merely bait to ensure you came to Spellhold. But the world may never know. ^^
    you could be right. That would mean the stuff about torturing her because of her heritage in Irenicus Lair was added in but that is a reasonable assumption that I can agree with you on.

The guild war is almost entirely between Bodhi and the Shadow Thieves. I'm not sure that Irenicus really plays any part in that. It seems to be mostly the secondary story that you get involved in purely as part of getting to SpellHold. I think it was meant to be part of Bodhi's own ambitions and plots outside of what Irenicus was doing and maybe a glimpse about that so called more evil and ambitious nature but it doesn't play that way to me.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    SomeSort said:

Just imagine what the series would have looked like if the devs only gave her 15 INT.

She'd have stayed a pure Thief. (Like I Keeper her back to. I have trouble seeing her with the dedication and exactingness required for spellcraft)

She wouldn't have been given the Irenicus special torture just prior to BG2 start.

She wouldn't have been captured by the Cowled Wizards. She'd have been with you throughout the first part of the game.

Irenicus would have been the only one taken away to Spellhold.

The CHARNAME wouldn't have been forced to go to Spellhold.

Irenicus' plot wouldn't have been stopped vis a vis the CHARNAME getting forced all up in his business.

Irenicus would have siezed Sudanessellar, killed all the elves, merged with the Tree of Life before anyone knew there was a problem (damn those insular elves).

Everybody dies? (bit fuzzy on what that tree is supposed to do if tampered with)
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

Then you get to Suldenesselar and are told that she was maybe worse than him? more ambitious?

Rule of thumb, when men commit crimes of violence, look for a woman behind it. When women commit crimes involving money, look for a man behind it.

When a crime involves stealing a soul... I dunno, I guess look for an elf behind it?
    A wizard did it!
    edited May 2017
    Aran Linvail made it seem like Bodhi intended to usurp his position in the city in order to further Irenicus' goals, which required quite a bit of manpower/bodies/financial backing (which should be obvious in retrospect, starting with the relative complexity of the starting dungeon).
    And so Bodhi decided to go all the way and start her own guild while Irenicus did most of the planning/research.

Regardless, Imoen's survival shouldn't affect any attempt to expand on the Shadow Thief vs Irenicus or Bodhi-should-have-been-a-more-compelling-boss angle.

It's also very simple to just change the lore so that vampirism IS a guaranteed way to counteract Ellesime's curse (so Imoen would no longer need to be a Bhaalspawn). Irencius, however, is obviously intent on fighting gods so it makes perfect sense that he wouldn't settle for just being a vampire.
    That's why he's interested in YOUR godly spark.

Like I said, the general flow of the story is very FF7-y, which makes sense given the time the game was developed.
    I suppose that's one reason why they decided to move away from that direction.
    Nothing actually says that she's escaped the curse. Just mitigates it. That alone would never be enough for an egomaniac like Irenicus.

I myself don't remember anything about Aran Linvail really pointing at Irenicus or the fact that Bodhi is simply doing it for him. I only remember the feel and impression that it's her trying to take over in Aran's place and push his guild out with her own.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

SomeSort said:

She'd have stayed a pure Thief. (Like I Keeper her back to. I have trouble seeing her with the dedication and exactingness required for spellcraft)

She wouldn't have been given the Irenicus special torture just prior to BG2 start.

She wouldn't have been captured by the Cowled Wizards. She'd have been with you throughout the first part of the game.

Irenicus would have been the only one taken away to Spellhold.

The CHARNAME wouldn't have been forced to go to Spellhold.

Irenicus' plot wouldn't have been stopped vis a vis the CHARNAME getting forced all up in his business.

Irenicus would have siezed Sudanessellar, killed all the elves, merged with the Tree of Life before anyone knew there was a problem (damn those insular elves).

Everybody dies? (bit fuzzy on what that tree is supposed to do if tampered with)
    I was thinking more like:

Everyone doesn't dual-class her to Mage in BG1 (more specifically, to Conjurer because you could do that back then).
    She gets played far less and maybe even gets passed by Safana in popularity.
    She doesn't become part of the canon BG2 party.
    Bioware is forced to retcon Minsc into being a Bhaalspawn.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I always miss set traps most when I ran these low level dual classed thief mages.