Skip to content

ISO questions for a newbie

AlzirDuneAlzirDune Member Posts: 2
Hi. Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place, maybe someone can point me in the right direction if I am??

I'm an old BG fan, used to play on the PlayStation. Stumbled across EE and EE2 as apps for iPad, but there don't seem to have been any updates since 2015. Do you guys all play on computers or are you iOS or android users? I'd love to play again but don't want to part with the money if the game is unplayable due to ISO updates etc. Is it still worth downloading on a tablet?

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I would advise playing on a computer for a much better experience. Concerning IOS, well, Beamdog is a rather small company, and now that they will have to port BG to 64 bits with the next IOS, I wouldn't expect an update so soon.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited June 2017
    Hi @AlzirDune, welcome to the forum. I have another point of view. Although I don't have an iDevice, I have played the game on an Android platform at 1.3.x and enjoyed it.

I will start by saying that the game on Playstation is vastly different. You might want to have a look on Youtube to see the difference. BG1 and BG2, in which ever variant, is more of a tactial RPG. BG: Dark Alliance is more of a Diablo hack/slash clone.

As for which version, it depends on your circumstances. The games are cheap enough (and come up on discount regularly for PC at GOG/Steam/Beamdog depending on who you buy from) to buy for both platforms. From what I have read, you will get a warning on IOS about the impending change, but I am confident that Beamdog will ship update in time (other discussions have it that the update will be out around September).

Having looked at the differences on Youtube, you could try one of the games (BG:EE for example) for PC, see if you like it and if you do, then don't look back. Grab the others and venture forth.

If you travel, looking for something to play on the lounge chair, or just looking for something to play on a mobile device then go for it again. I don't think you will be disappointed. It will be like playing two games for the price of one. The current 1.3, then 2.x/3.x. You will need to buy SOD when it is released but the others will just update.

Gus

Edit: If you do go down the PC then IOS route, there will be some graphical differences as the PC version is 2.3.x and the IOS version will be 1.3.x.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I play the 1.3 version still on PC, downloaded in 2015, and have no desire to update. It's never given me any problems and I'm not so keen on the changes offered by the latest updates. So if that's whats on offer I'd recommmend it.
  • AlzirDuneAlzirDune Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much guys. I'll look at YouTube and go from there.