Skip to content

Twisted Rune Quest?

AttalusAttalus Member Posts: 156
Now, I know this is a broken quest, one that the devs didn't get around to completing before BG2's release. I found the following info in the FR Wiki: "The Twisted Rune was a highly secret cabal of liches and other powerful undead spellcasters. The inner circle was highly secretive, and employed agents to do their bidding, most of whom were unaware that they worked for the Rune..." and goes on for a time: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Twisted_Rune Note that Shangalar is named.
I also know that in addition to the Twisted Rune compound run by Shangalar in the Bridge District, that the Rejiek Hidesman murders in the Bridge D and that was continued to an IMHO lame conclusion in Trademeet were connected to the Twisted Rune quest.. My questions are these: was it connected to the Guarded Compound in the Temple D? Or anywhere else?

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    The connection between Twisted Rune and Guarded Compound was hinted at by some mod (it is not in the vanilla game and it was nothing more than a hint >>>Yikari mod which in itself appeared incomplete).
    As you point out yourself, *employed agents to do their bidding, most of whom were unaware that they worked for the Rune*, means you can invent a lot of links to your liking.
    Links are with the Tanner murders, Shangalar, and the ToB mercenaries in Amkethran (in a conversation with the innkeeper). In my view, none of them explains anything, it all is apparently unfinished business.
    Not sure what you mean by the Trademeet event?
  • AttalusAttalus Member Posts: 156

@PaulaMigrate. Thanks for the info. The "Event" is where Tiris' mom accosts you and gets you to rescue his gf by killing Rejiek Hidesman disguised as her and his associate. Really easy combat.

Attalus said:

@PaulaMigrate. Thanks for the info. The "Event" is where Tiris' mom accosts you and gets you to rescue his gf by killing Rejiek Hidesman disguised as her and his associate. Really easy combat.

I was not aware there was any relation to twisted rune here, of course it continues the tanner quest.

Anyway, it's good to know that I never missed anything but that battle is really a leftover of something bigger that never was.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if I recall, I heard some where that the twisted rune was in some sort of war with the mind flayer dudes in the temple district, and the mind flayer peeps where going to build an army, also that one noble couple was involved with the mind flayer peeps as well ( the noble couple you visit after the beholder quest in the temple district, their last name starts with a "j" and there is some "y" and "s" in their name as well)

plus I think darcin cole ( is his name?) makes some mention of the twisted rune when you bring him the human flesh and blood of a silver dragon to him, so that is how you can make the connection between the twisted rune and the tanner skinner dude
    The mind flayers, interesting. Another singular event that is never further explained, neither why you find that key in Firkraags dungeon.
    Of course you can take all those odds and ends and try to tie them together. Maybe this was planned or maybe not. Or both are stubs of different plots-that-never-were.
    sarevok57 said:

if I recall, I heard some where that the twisted rune was in some sort of war with the mind flayer dudes in the temple district, and the mind flayer peeps where going to build an army, also that one noble couple was involved with the mind flayer peeps as well ( the noble couple you visit after the beholder quest in the temple district, their last name starts with a "j" and there is some "y" and "s" in their name as well)

plus I think darcin cole ( is his name?) makes some mention of the twisted rune when you bring him the human flesh and blood of a silver dragon to him, so that is how you can make the connection between the twisted rune and the tanner skinner dude

@sarevok57: Fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting, as I have never fought Adalon nor have any idea where one could find human flesh. There was human skin armor in the vanilla BG2, but that seems to have been edited out.
    The assassins in the cellar of the Tanner shop make some reference to the Twisted Rune IIRC

Attalus said:

sarevok57 said:

Thanks for posting, as I have never fought Adalon nor have any idea where one could find human flesh.

You find the flesh under a bed in the tanner's house. For the blood you don't have to fight Adalon. Install a mod *Adalon's blood* and you can convince her to give you a few drops if you use the right dialogue options.
    Alas, PaulaMigrate. As I said, the Human Flesh armor seems to have been edited out. Thanks, though
    edited June 2017
    Attalus said:

Alas, PaulaMigrate. As I said, the Human Flesh armor seems to have been edited out. Thanks, though

Really? I have it:
    Leat22.itm. You click on the bed in the tanner's room. First time you click you get a message *There is a revolting stench coming from beneath the bed. It smells of decay. You could search beneath the bed if you wish to.* Click a second time and get the item. Check Bedclick.bcs in area ar0502.

Then you meet the guy in Umar and make a deal with him. He needs silver dragon blood to finish his work. You agree to learn about the people he works for. You get the blood. You discover the rune assassins. Everybody gets hostile and you kill them. The end still feels incomplete somehow.
  • SunderSunder Member Posts: 56
    edited June 2017
    Attalus said:

nope, just created it this last week & I am fully patched playing BG2EE. Definitely still around

Spolier

I'm guessing the issue is that the bed it is under is not your typical "lootable object". No blue highlight from tab or anything. Instead it is the sort that displays the "broken circle"? icon when moused over and you have to be right next to the bed to activate it & retrieve the flesh.

perhaps someone with a better grip of the BG2 vernacular can clarify this is my explanation is not clear enough, but hope this helps.
    Post edited by Sunder on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, the flesh is available in both the vanilla and EE.
    Sunder said:

Attalus said:

nope, just created it this last week & I am fully patched playing BG2EE. Definitely still around

Spolier

I'm guessing the issue is that the bed it is under is not your typical "lootable object". No blue highlight from tab or anything. Instead it is the sort that displays the "broken circle"? icon when moused over and you have to be right next to the bed to activate it & retrieve the flesh.

perhaps someone with a better grip of the BG2 vernacular can clarify this is my explanation is not clear enough, but hope this helps.
    The explanation is in my spoiler in the post right above yours.
    You have to stand close to it click once for a message then click twice to *pick uo* the item, i.e. you don't actually pick it but it appears in your inventory after the second click.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286

The mind flayers, interesting. Another singular event that is never further explained, neither why you find that key in Firkraags dungeon.
    Of course you can take all those odds and ends and try to tie them together. Maybe this was planned or maybe not. Or both are stubs of different plots-that-never-were.

You should check out this thread then :smile:

You should check out this thread then :smile:
    Yes, those theories. The great secret conspiracy. Some elements may belong together, some not. Trying to tie it all together (e.g. by a mod) will show the weakness of that theory. I stll think those are stubs of different plots-that-never-were.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I think that all of this is tied together by The Illiterati who hired the Freemasons to brainwash Nixon to put fluoride in the water supply and magnetic fields in cell phones.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    tbone1 said:

I think that all of this is tied together by The Illiterati who hired the Freemasons to brainwash Nixon to put fluoride in the water supply and magnetic fields in cell phones.

Huh, that actually sounds interesting!

Would you mind meeting me later in that dark alley behind the parking lot? I'll be the tall bald guy in the black suit, just walk up to me.
    edited June 2017
    Sunder said:

Attalus said:

Interesting. Thank you for your insight. I admit I am usually too much in a hurry to investigate that place minutely. But I will insist that it was easier to find in the vanilla edition

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Attalus said:

Sunder said:

Attalus said:

Interesting. Thank you for your insight. I admit I am usually too much in a hurry to investigate that place minutely. But I will insist that it was easier to find in the vanilla edition

Nope, it was the same process.
    Okay, I just found it in a savedgame, but I still remember it being more obvious. But I will admit, I have had a drink or two since then
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

tbone1 said:

Huh, that actually sounds interesting!

Would you mind meeting me later in that dark alley behind the parking lot? I'll be the tall bald guy in the black suit, just walk up to me.
    No, I'll only meet a tall bald woman. (I always had a crush on Persia Kimbata.)