Skip to content

What is the meaning of a supported platform?

Does BeamDog have a public document that explains their definition of a supported platform? I am trying to understand what the promises that the Mac App Store is a supported platform mean.

So far, we are looking at 3 years and 5 patches to other platforms that are not released via the Mac App Store, but confirmation that although the pending 2.4 patch will definitely NOT be coming to MAS, it is still a supported platform. Likewise, the 2.5 follow-up is announced as bringing parity to the other released platforms, but specifically has NOT committed (when asked) to supporting a MAS release - while confirming that MAS is still a supported platform.

My best attempt to diving meaning is that it means BeamDog still imagine releasing such a patch in the future, and as long as they can imagine doing so (without an actual commitment) the platform remains supported. At some future time, they may finally give up on MAS support, and once that is announced, we can know with certainty there there are not future patches. The fact we are still running v1.3 does not change the fact that we were supported through all the intervening years as there was always the possibility of a patch, just no commitment.

It might mean that we can file bug reports, and they will not be closed until either a new patch is released, or the MAS version is officially unsupported.

It may simply mean that the app is available for sale on MAS, and they satisfy the minimum conditions required by Apple to maintain a listing.

It might also mean something more positive - I certainly hope so, and I believe the team does too. However, without some clear definition of the support policy, it is no longer clear what this term means. We know it has never meant a timely release of a patch (c.f., 15 months waiting for critical patch 1.2a, released in around 7 *days* on all other platforms, eventually available as part of 1.3) but the current policy seems to be stretching way beyond that - although the games are at least in (mostly) good working order this time as long as we disable the sound.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    OrlonKronsteenArctodusThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    First of all, thank you to all the users who keep bringing feedback and suggestions regarding the Mac App Store. All your thoughts have been communicated to the team and the team are discussing solutions.

As long as a platform is mentioned on the official site of the product in question, it's supported.

Beamdog are looking into better processes around updates and communications, but these things take time.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Thanks for the clarification - supported means we get a name-check on the main web page; no more, and no less. That should help us set our expectations accordingly.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253

Thanks for the clarification - supported means we get a name-check on the main web page; no more, and no less. That should help us set our expectations accordingly.

It might also mean the Apple is difficult in accepting updates. Beamdog insignificant compared to Microsoft, and updates on Office for the mac have been known to be slow as well
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    It is difficult to accept updates that are never submitted ;) That said, we know it took 3 or 4 attempts to for the 1.3 patch to be accepted, and BeamDog are naturally shy about submitting a patch unless they have budgeted time to follow through on the review process.

However, my comment above was about published policy - what does it mean for a platform to be supported? So far, the only confirmed detail is that it means you are listed for sale on the web page for that app. I did skip the part where Julius says they are working on providing more information ;) but for now, that is the functional definition.
    Antipatiko