Skip to content

Just wondering what people's views are on what NPCs form the best party

I was just wondering obviously when playing the game, what kind of party do you like to form in general and what characters you tend to make your party up of......... I would like to know your preferences and reasons why.

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    BG1?

I'd maaaaybe go with:

Kivan, Imoen, Edwin, Yeslick, Viconia. Charname is either some form of Fighter/Mage, Ranger/Cleric, Fighter/Thief, Mage/Thief etc.

The NPCs give you two mages (once Immy duals), two clerics, at least two fairly decent meleers, two potential tankers, several archers, and Imoen has most of the basic thief vitals covered, leaving room for CHARNAME to fill several roles without really leaving a serious gap.

Kivan and Viconia will bicker, but nothing should come of it, and the Dark Elf penalty should hopefully keep you from ever losing Edwin or her. Imoen is arguably the second best mage in BG1, and Edwin is still unmatched. Viconia is the best cleric, whilst Yeslick is one of the better tanks.

If your CHARNAME isn't going to be part thief, you may want to sport another thief in your party and drop Kivan for Coran (who can fulfil largely the same archery role, though his thievery is fairly lackluster), or hold off on dualling Immy until BG2, your call.
  • MarricMarric Member Posts: 53
    When planning a party I like to split them evenly between ranged and close combat, five dudes trying to swing a sword at one monster just doesn't work/gets all jammed up in halls and such. I also like this breakdown of "jobs":
    2 Fighters
    2Mages
    1 Cleric
    1/2 a thief (all you ever need, usually a fighter/thief for backstabbing or a thief dualed to mage)

Favorite party of all time (BG2):
    Cassandra Veldrin: Fighter dualed to Mage at level 9, primarily using a bow - simulacrum + arrows of detonation = awesome
    Anomen: Way stronger fighter than I thought he'd be, and I think I'm one of the very few people who actually doesn't find him annoying
    Valygar: Backstabbing + decent fighter, although not as durable as Anomen
    and of course Imoen: couldn't go without my sis + second mage and thief.

4 characters, fulfilled all the roles, and leveled fast.

perferred BG party:
    Gnome F/Illusionist with 2handed sword and bows - he's kinda comical, but effective
    Imoen: dualed to mage at lvl 4 (or maybe 5)
    Khalid: Solid fighter, Jaheria I find annoying though so...
    Brawen: Cleric + decent backup fighter
    Coran: Fills in for thief duties while Imoen is dualing + fantastic archer!
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I actually play the game as multiplayer singleplayer, as in I create a multiplayer game in order to roll my own party (I almost always play with 6 characters), and play the game with no players aside from myself.

I do this for a few reasons.

A: The game does not have enough desirable characters for me to use in a single alignment group, as I want all of my party members to be Good. Not Good and Neutral, not Good and Evil, just Good.

B: I like my characters to be designed a certain way. I know what I want in terms of ability scores, chosen spells, and weapon proficiency, and I refuse to yield or alter from that.

C: I really hate in-party fighting, be it actual violence or verbal, regardless of if it's intended to be "all in good fun". Here's a great example of why I do not tolerate bickering: If you've ever played Dragon Age 1, you had to listen to Morrigan and/or Alistair whine about just about everything. Morrigan whines about me, her mother, Alistair, and even my awesome and faithful Mabari Warhound, who is truly Man's best friend.

I'm here to enjoy the game and quest around, while ridding the world of evil. I don't have time to listen to senseless nagging. If you are in my party, you either say something with a clear and relevant point, or you keep your mouth shut. It really is that simple. Then again, zealous crusading Paladins of Righteousness never had much time for nonsense, be it bickering or recreation. Let everyone else drink, feast, and be merry: I will be roaming the world, ridding it of evil scum, and ensuring that they CAN be merry.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    edited November 2012
    BG1 usually consist of me being a mage of some sort, Kivan, Branwen from the carnival, Kagain/Yeslick and Xzar. I usually run 4-5 person parties.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think the party choice has a lot to do with your PC. They balance needs, essentially. For instance, a rogue PC doesn't get a lot from having Imoen, even if she is family/friend. In some ways, it holds the party back, really. Similarly, a PC cleric is probably better than any of the available options in that realm.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I usually try to ensure Imoen and Viconia are both in my party, whatever party I have
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Uhhmmm ... various. Depends on what sort of party I'm going for.

When I first beat the game I had a single-class PC Cleric, then had Kagain, Imoen, and Edwin. So basically I made an awesome cleric, and picked up the best fighter (debatable), thief, and mage. It was powerful although obviously it wasn't super interesting.

I prefer to have mixed parties, it's fun and gives me lots of options. I like to experiment with all the NPCs honestly, they all have their uses, only exception being I can't stand trying to use Tiax as a normal Thief, because his Dexterity is too bad to pull that off, not enough points to go around. So yeahh, I really can't say too much on this thread because I tend to do bloody anything.

If I had to pick a party based on *power,* though, I'd probably go with:
    PC - Cleric/Ranger
    Kagain
    Kivan
    Imoen
    Edwin
    Xan
    That would rape.

That said, I'll admit I favor having Edwin, Kagain, and Kivan in parties, usually only having one of them in any given party though. They are all very powerful and enjoyable personalities.

I think the party choice has a lot to do with your PC. They balance needs, essentially. For instance, a rogue PC doesn't get a lot from having Imoen, even if she is family/friend. In some ways, it holds the party back, really. Similarly, a PC cleric is probably better than any of the available options in that realm.

Since you can dual her into a mage as early as level 2, and she has seriously solid stats for a mage, the fact that she's a thief at the start isn't really a downside, just dual her straight away and she loses nothing and gains a little HP and proficiencies from the deal. Unless you're rocking a Thief/Mage already, you'll probably have something worthwhile to gain from including her, especially if you're running an all-good party.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Good: Ajantis, Kivan, Coran, Imoen, Branwen, PC Mage

Mixed: Kagain, Kivan, Coran, Viconia, Edwin, PC Thief

Evil: Shar-teel, Montaron, Viconia, Eldoth, Edwin, PC Fighter

The most powerful group was the "mixed" team. They steamrolled over everybody from early in the game. Nearly every fight was a foregone conclusion.

The most fun I had was the "evil" team, especially figuring out ways to maximize Eldoth's role. A PC Elven fighter can tank the early game and switch to a ranged role later, as a straight up evil comp lacks a good archer.
    edited November 2012

I dunno, Viconia has 65% magic resistance, which a PC cleric can't get, though a PC can select a kit, *all* of which are better than the default cleric (there are no downsides)
    Post edited by Oxford_Guy on
  • BG_ZeroBG_Zero Member Posts: 23
    I normally end up with Imoen, Ajantis, Kivan, Khalid, and Jaheria. My PC alters from game to game, but is normally a fighter class, every now and then a cleric cause of Jaherias multi-class. this notably leaves me very Mageless in BG1 cause I never dual Immy. Makes the game "fun" but I load out on ranged weapons for all my chars so its not totally bad >.>

I dunno, Viconia has 65% magic resistance, which a PC cleric can't get, though a PC can select a kit, *all* of which are better than the default cleric (there are no downsides)

This applies to Edwin for Mage too in my opinion, at least outside of whatever his opposed schools are. You just can't beat that amulet of his.
    BG_Zero said:

I normally end up with Imoen, Ajantis, Kivan, Khalid, and Jaheria. My PC alters from game to game, but is normally a fighter class, every now and then a cleric cause of Jaherias multi-class. this notably leaves me very Mageless in BG1 cause I never dual Immy. Makes the game "fun" but I load out on ranged weapons for all my chars so its not totally bad >.>

Have you ever played with an all evil (apart from Imoen, she stays with you no matter how much your reputation stinks)? It's only quite recently that I done this, and I have to say its lots of fun!

• KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    Brude said:

Branwen's not good, and she complains CONSTANTLY if your reputation gets high. I'd put Yeslick in there instead.
  • Aegir_FellwoodAegir_Fellwood Member Posts: 81
    Anduine said:

I actually play the game as multiplayer singleplayer, as in I create a multiplayer game in order to roll my own party (I almost always play with 6 characters), and play the game with no players aside from myself.

I do this for a few reasons.

A: The game does not have enough desirable characters for me to use in a single alignment group, as I want all of my party members to be Good. Not Good and Neutral, not Good and Evil, just Good.

B: I like my characters to be designed a certain way. I know what I want in terms of ability scores, chosen spells, and weapon proficiency, and I refuse to yield or alter from that.

C: I really hate in-party fighting, be it actual violence or verbal, regardless of if it's intended to be "all in good fun". Here's a great example of why I do not tolerate bickering: If you've ever played Dragon Age 1, you had to listen to Morrigan and/or Alistair whine about just about everything. Morrigan whines about me, her mother, Alistair, and even my awesome and faithful Mabari Warhound, who is truly Man's best friend.

I'm here to enjoy the game and quest around, while ridding the world of evil. I don't have time to listen to senseless nagging. If you are in my party, you either say something with a clear and relevant point, or you keep your mouth shut. It really is that simple. Then again, zealous crusading Paladins of Righteousness never had much time for nonsense, be it bickering or recreation. Let everyone else drink, feast, and be merry: I will be roaming the world, ridding it of evil scum, and ensuring that they CAN be merry.

I also always made my own team that way, and one of the reasons was that I didn't like most of the npc's persona, many of of them are just too annoying to me lol

The most "epic" and imo interesting team I completed BG2 with was a 3 man party consisting of a stalker, a bountyhunter, and an avenger - challenging but fun ;)
    Kaxon said:

Brude said:

Branwen's not good, and she complains CONSTANTLY if your reputation gets high. I'd put Yeslick in there instead.
    This is her only real drawback, though. I think she trumps Yeslick because she can join early, is in a much more accessible location, and has some of the best stats in the game for a divine caster.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Ignoring reputation, IMO the strongest NPCs are:

Imoen dualed to mage at level 6 thief (might want another thief while she regains thief levels).

Viconia (strongest cleric in the game).

Edwin (strongest Mage)

Xzar dualed to cleric at 6 mage.

Yeslick, Jaheira, Kivan, Coran.

Montaron is good, but not as good as Coran, but which one you pick would depend on your party alignment. Both are great picks as your thief to use while dualing immy.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    It all depends on my mood and I don't care about their alignments [I just play to have no more than 18 reputation].
    The only ones that I ALWAYS take are Jaheira, Khalid and Viconia.
    Ewwww Khalid. Send him off to get killed by some gibberlings, and you can take someone more useful and keep Jaheira :p
    Khalid is quite good, his morale rate can be a small pain but other than that he's excellent.

I forgot to mention Xzar, Montaron, and Coran. I'm partial to those three as well, they're just awesome.
    Even if he is quite good, he is far from the best.
    Kagain. 'Nuff said.
    edited November 2012
    Quartz said:

Khalid is quite good, his morale rate can be a small pain but other than that he's excellent.

He's a gimp and you know it. ;-)

Oddly, I've never once had Khalid run on me. Kagain, on the other hand, will bolt every time he gets badly hurt.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    My team is Imoen, Khalid, Minsc, Yeslick, and I plan on trying out Neera too, hopefully her stats are good.
  • NadroirNadroir Member Posts: 50
    I like having 2 melee warrior types, 1 Cleric or Druid, 1 Thief, 1 Mage, and 1 X. Probably not the "best"... but that's how I've almost always done it.
    Brude said:

Quartz said:

He's a gimp and you know it. ;-)

Oddly, I've never once had Khalid run on me. Kagain, on the other hand, will bolt every time he gets badly hurt.
    15 STR 16 DEX 17 CON isn't gimp. :D

Yeah Kagain has a fairly high morale rate. Khalid has the highest, then Garrick, then Kagain. I dunno who after that.
  • FishFish Member Posts: 38
    I like a melee centric party. In BG1 it's hard not having a archer heavy party but once you move into BG2 they do little relative damage, offer little support and annoy me to no end having to keep feeding them ammo. I'm also a bit of a softy when it comes to the story line so I tend to hold on to the staples. Imoen, Minsc and Jaheria start with me in the beginning and normally finish with me.

I dual Imoen as soon as she can detect traps and open locks at 80%. She is my only back row player. I normally play some type of character that is decent at melee (just finished kensai/mage and now playing elf swashbuckler.)

I like to fill a paladin slot (the Charisma helps in stores; they are normally in slot 1) Ajantis in BG1 and Keldorn in BG2.

The final slot I fill with a fighter/cleric. In BG1 that's Yeslick and in BG2 it's Anomen.

In BG1 I have to find ways to kill off Dynaheir and Khalid so their counterparts don't bolt. Aside from the murdering and Jaheria's whining over high reputation it works well all the way through.

So normally my slots are:
    Slot 1: Paladin (Ajantis/Keldorn)
    Slot 2: Minsc
    Slot 3: Decent PC Melee
    Slot 4: Jaheria
    Slot 5: Cleric (Yeslick/Anomen)
    Slot 6: Imoen
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Hm. My most common final party is CHARNAME, Imoen, Xan, Quayle, and Alora, with either Kivan or Edwin filling the sixth slot. I am aware this is a poorly constructed party, but I do not care.
    Hoping to try something new in BGEE though~
    edited November 2012

Hm. My most common final party is CHARNAME, Imoen, Xan, Quayle, and Alora, with either Kivan or Edwin filling the sixth slot. I am aware this is a poorly constructed party, but I do not care.

Doesn't sound so poorly constructed to me. Alongside those four though, I can't believe I'm saying this (because Edwin is incredible) but I'd definitely go with Kivan > Edwin in that scenario.

Plus it sounds like it would have a lot of fun interaction. I'm guessing your theme there is pink party members? rofl. Just have Coran join and you've got it ...
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Quartz said:

Doesn't sound so poorly constructed to me. Alongside those four though, I can't believe I'm saying this (because Edwin is incredible) but I'd definitely go with Kivan > Edwin in that scenario.

Plus it sounds like it would have a lot of fun interaction. I'm guessing your theme there is pink party members? rofl. Just have Coran join and you've got it ...
    Naw, I just liked their personalities but I noticed that later on in one of my playthroughs and started referring to them as "The Pinkersquad". ...Plus Kivan.