Skip to content

Companions/Chapter question

KelefaneKelefane Member Posts: 15
Hi there. I'm new to these forums and have a few questions here.

Are certain companions only recruitable at certain chapters? For example, can I get Viconia and Dorn into my party in Chapter 1? Can I go straight to them and recruit them at the very start? I'd like to get my party "set" before I do the main quest(s) of the game.

I assume you could use the cheat console and spawn the companions you want from the very start? Does that have any repercussions though?

the reason I ask and I'll give you an example:

On the wiki it says that Viconia is recruitable in Chapter 3 in Peldvale. So I'm not sure if she only spawns during Chapter 3 in Peldvale, or what. So in other words, I was just curious if you could run straight to Peldvale and recruit her at very start, etc.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Viconia_DeVir

Thanks!

Comments

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    You can get Vic straight off.
    Walk to the right side edge of the FAI map and go to the next area which is Peldvale.

What you have to keep in mind though is that each map is somewhat suited to the level you are expected to get there.
    So don't wander off into Peldvale at level 1, the chill archers will make short work of you.
    Stick to the left hand side of the Peldvale map, go up a way and you'll come across Vic.

Talk to Dorn in the FAI first, then he spawns when you try to travel to the Nashkel mines I think (perhaps the carnival?). But you do have to wait for him to spawn in areas between traveling from map to map.
  • KelefaneKelefane Member Posts: 15

I assume this goes for every NPC? You can recruit them all at first start, huh?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited July 2017
    You cannot get Dorn unless you attempt to travel to Nashkel Mines - which again you can only do from Nashkel at the beginning which will automatically start chapter 2 (cha 2 starts when you either reach Nashkel or the Carnival).
    Viconia's start point depends on the mod you installed (start NPCs at more convenient location), it can be on the road south of Beregost if you chose it. Regardless of that, Viconia does NOT only spawn during chapter 3.
    There are actually no NPCs who delay their appearance, it's just accessability to their starting area that may be delayed. Note also that there are NPCs that do not wait forever but disappear after a certain event or chapter change. You can prevent this from happening if you let everybody you meet join your party and during the joining process just kick them our again right away, This sets the *Have been in party* flag for the NPC so it stays in the game and you can send them to an inn to wait.
  • KelefaneKelefane Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Paula :) Very helpful.

BTW, I'm not using any mods. Just vanilla BG:EE
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Kelefane said:

I assume this goes for every NPC? You can recruit them all at first start, huh?

Not the ones who are situated in areas that you cannot access until later in the game.

So that's
    Coran and Eldoth, Cloakwood
    Yeslick, Cloakwood Mines
    Tiax, Alora, Skie Baldurs Gate.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Quayle is also necessarily a latecomer, as he's on the far side of the bridge to Baldur's Gate. You can go to his area from the start, but you can't get to the part he's on until about 2/3rds of the way through the main plot.