Skip to content

Jini romance

ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
Anyone tried the Djinn romance from Black Wyrm's Lair? It also gives a will-o-wisp companion. It's for BGEE +SoD. Modder said he tested it on Beamdog Client. Mine installs but goes to a black screen as soon as a new game is started and GO FORTH is tapped. Also bypasses the "Nestled atop... prologue speech. He cannot reproduce but just wondering if running from Beamdog Client is different than downloading the game direct from BD in the past before the client feature was given (as I have- not sure if that makes sense or not).

http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=5365

Comments

• BrokenkatanaBrokenkatana Member Posts: 47
    I just downloaded the newest version and that happened to me. I figured out if I import a saved character, the game starts like normal. If I try to create a character. The screen goes black when I start a new game.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

I just downloaded the newest version and that happened to me. I figured out if I import a saved character, the game starts like normal. If I try to create a character. The screen goes black when I start a new game.

Yeah, I found I could bypass the 'black screen' by importing a character but While Gregore and Rjali give the talk it only 'says' party gains an item and the lamp does not show up in the quick slot as it should. Without the Jini lamp the mod was still broken.
  • BrokenkatanaBrokenkatana Member Posts: 47
    I did get the lamp. Are you using version 1.4?
    I thought he only had it up to Jini 1.3? Ahh, I see he snuck in a new version in the last two days without mentioning it. Thanks. Will try it on my next go round. Needs to figure out why it crashes a new game start as opposed to importing one.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    I have the same problem with this mod. Only in my case, importing a character would no work either.

I have no idea why some people are affected and others not. I'm suspecting some kind of race condition depending on how fast the system is executing scripts before the game tries to start the cutscene.

I was able to make a simple fix, however. Try replacing this file in the mod's Scripts folder.

Basically, I just added an additional IF condition, G("CHAPTER",0) , Before the mod tries to take over. Presumably, that global variable is not set until after the cutscene starts/finishes. (Err, come to think of it, don't all uninitialized global variables default to 0? Maybe I have the reason completely wrong, but it seems to work.)

edited July 2017
    @rashkae Did that fix stop the black screen thing and allow the game to begin normally?

EDIT: Tried the fix and it works just fine now. A new mod ready to go now. Thanks. :)
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
  • nullsetnullset Member Posts: 38
    Thanks, @rashkae!!! I would never have found this on my own. I will issue a Jini v1.5 ASAP to incorporate this fix. Still trying to get the MAC install straightened out but, not having a MAC to test on, I'm not really happy with it yet.
    @nullset Glad you found this already, I was going to post it to the BW site later today. B)
    @nullset I am finding this to be a great mod and it brings a smile quite often.
    The will-o-wisp companion Fay also fits perfectly with the Witchlight Shaman mod I am running with it (by @LavaDelVortel ). B)
    @nullset A suggestion to improve the mod. The weight of the lamp, 10lbs, is a bit high and makes the mod more or less broken for very low strength characters as they can barely move. Reducing the weight to about 1lb. would help immensely.
  • nullsetnullset Member Posts: 38
    Zaghoul said:

@nullset A suggestion to improve the mod. The weight of the lamp, 10lbs, is a bit high and makes the mod more or less broken for very low strength characters as they can barely move. Reducing the weight to about 1lb. would help immensely.

That was an oversight. Fixing in v2.0, which is where I allow multiple romances in SoD, not that they are any great shakes. I'll issue it in the next week or so.
    edited January 2018
    nullset said:

Zaghoul said:

That was an oversight. Fixing in v2.0, which is where I allow multiple romances in SoD, not that they are any great shakes. I'll issue it in the next week or so.
    @nullset
    Good deal, I'll watch for it. Thanks. :)
    EDIT: Now that was quick fix, nice one.
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BookwormOtakuBookwormOtaku Member Posts: 8
    Question, will this mod only work on the start of a new game? I'm asking since I installed the mod a little while ago and with my current game I'm at chapter 6 and back in Candlekeep and haven't run into anything like the mod describes.
    @BookwormOtaku At start only as far as I know, never tried it any other way. We get the triggering conversation and lamp at the exact moment you exit character creation and begin in CK.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    You could always keeper the lamp into your inventory, using it should start dialogues so long as you're post Chapter 0.
  • BookwormOtakuBookwormOtaku Member Posts: 8
    @Pantalion The thing for me is getting the lamp in the first place
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Pantalion said:

You could always keeper the lamp into your inventory, using it should start dialogues so long as you're post Chapter 0.

• CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    I've included it in my current run. Quite interesting setup, but does anyone know how you can tell when the BG content runs out? The downside of SoD is that line between segments in mods aren't as clear cut as they used to be, and I'm left standing outside the Thieves' Guild in BG, trying to decide if it's time for a little fratricide...
  • TrancingBearTrancingBear Member Posts: 17
    Hi All,

I'm trying out the Jini mod for the first time. Does anyone know when/where Fay appears? Thanks!
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,059
    edited June 2020
    I've not played this mod, but according to the code, it is in Jini's lamp backroom, so one of the custom areas. When thus would be whenever you entered this custom area.