Skip to content

Oh my god the archidruid guy!

SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
Hello guys,
I'm doing no reload runs with Scs in hard. I win bg1 in hardbut without scs. In the cloackwood, I wanted to talk to the archidruid and surprise: he rip my face off in twenty secondes.

I play with the regular good party: me as cleric/fighter 5/5 Kalid Minsc with Lbow, imoen is a MT multi with a short bow, Jaheira with sling and Dyna. The guy, was not alone, 2 druides were beside him. In one second they summoned 3 bears, one panther and one fire elemental?!?! He vanished, casted confusion or chaos or something on my team... Wow I wasn't prepare to that. In scs, I take the first line for the preparation of druids and mages, may be it was a mistake!

Do you have tips?!

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited July 2017
    I haven't played BG1 with Sword Coast Strategems, but it seems like the druid you're facing is an Avenger. Avengers can cast Chaos and Improved Invisibility.

One suggestion I have is to use Minsc's berserk. Send him in alone and wait until you see the archdruid start casting Chaos, then make him use berserk. His berserk ability makes him immune to mind-affecting spells.

Note: I've never played BG1 with that mod, so I don't know what is changed and I'm not sure if this will work. It's possible that the archdruid won't cast it on Minsc if he's berserking, but if you use berserk after he starts casting the spell but before he finishes casting it, it should work.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    That archdruid is pretty nasty. He changes form regularly and can cause trouble in both spider and salamander shape in addition to his spells. If you want to be cheesy you can send a character upstairs under stealth to shoot his companions (coming back down before they react). Alternatively you could try and drag the archdruid downstairs and then outside - once you have the ability to spread out he's easy enough to take down with missiles (make sure you have cleared other druids from the surrounding area before trying this of course). If you're in to using resources you could also protect your party against chaos before attacking.
  • SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    edited July 2017
    Oh yeah before I die, I saw a salamander!
    Ok I'll try your technic to drag him outside !
    Post edited by Souplesse on
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    edited July 2017
    This can be a difficult battle for sure with SCS. I usually tank up my best fighter (in your case Minsc) to make him immune to mind control and then send him in first (perhaps also with positioning a hidden thief/Imoen before sending the tank upstairs so as to go for a lucky kill/poisoning with a dagger of venom backstab after they go hostile).

The cleric (charname + Jahiera) will go up with the tank and use crowd control spells and then wands on the druids. The thief and cleric(s) may have to retreat downstairs during the battle, so use the layout to your advantage.

I usually do not send a mage in as they tend to go down if the druids get off an insect summoning or their animal/nymph summons get going. The mage may come up and cast a damage spell and then will go back downstairs. This also works for the thief, who can retreat downstairs and come back for backstabs or necklace of missile bombings.

I would probably send Khalid up after the mind control spells have been used up so he can support Minsc as an archer.

I find the key to this battle in SCS is using the tank set-up to avoid mind control and to absorb damage. The tank absorbs the attention of the druids. This allows you to use the stairs to enter/retreat with the rest of the party depending upon class and damage capabilities.
    Thank you guys! But just a question, this fight seems to high for the level of charname? I made all the quest and map down FAI!?! Maybe I can kill him later?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I would hope the XP value was raised. In the base game he is worth only 100. That's a poor bit for breakin a glass of water.

Alot of these guys have avenger kits in BGNPC project as well. It's good to hear they are beefed up a little in SCS, although I usually form an alliance with them through Faldorn, for her special reward after flooding the mines.
    Yes the fight is a little beefed up :) I thought I was in BG2 !
    edited July 2017
    I seem to recall he gives a few thousand XP now, e.g. 4000.

Actually come to think of it, I think he is worth the same XP as before. But he does drop that +2 club.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    I don't think you're supposed to fight him before visiting sorcerous sundries in the city later in the game. Frankly not sure how you could win before then. The SCS modder is pretty good at keeping current, I'm assuming he has considered the EE class kit changes and updated the mod appropriately?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Well, I guess that would have to be a special change to make, not in SCS. The other SD Avengers in BGNPC Pro are worth more. I always thought with the club and abilities he has, should be much more. Ogrillions worth more than that. GOT to be a mistake never fixed all these years.
    After 3 reloads I win in hard, but with a cheesy tech obviously... the fight is way too hard for the level, harder than the throne of iron (sorry for the translation "throne de fer") fight. In the salamander form he two shot jaheira with -5 AC ...
    120xp or 100xp Jesus Christ ...
    In fact, I just came into the tree like usual and maybe because there is Jaheira in my group, he began hostile after a short discussion. Maybe I don't have to fight him to resolve JAheira's quest (for my next run).
    Yes, with Jahiera he is automatically hostile. With Faldorn in your group he is neutral.