Skip to content

Casting magic should cost gold

IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
In D&D you need certain materials to cast certain spells. (diamond dust for stone skin for example)

However, BG series removed this all together resulting in ridiculous ownage by mages. A level 20 mage can toy around with level 50 fighter using a timestop, and a level 30 mage can kill 2~3 level 50 fighters alone with a timestop and chain contingency. and spells are literally infinite since you can rest as often as you like without time constraints.

I suggest we emulate D&D magic material requirement by requiring gold to cast magic, depending on its level.

a practical formula could be something like gold spent for casting: 10 * square of spell level.

So level 1 spell will cost 10 gold each time its casted, level 5 spell 250 gold, and level 9 spell will cost 810 gold each.

This will enable players to use magic without throwing 10 high-level spells in each fight.

The game doesn't make much sense in a way that you are casting rare magic spells way too often rather than saving them up for tough fights. What's the point of encounters against weak monsters if each time you just throw a horrid wilting and the fight is over in 1 sec?

If this is to be implemented, cleric spells will have to use gold as well for balancing reasons. They will cost less(since they only have up to level 7) though.

With a mage you don't need a tank. Solo mage can beat the entire game(from BG2 start) without taking 1 hp damage. A mage can replace rogues with protection from energy, elements + stoneskin and magic deflection which will ignore all traps(even better than a rogue, IMO!) I can simply run through traps without taking any damages at all. A mage can also become an insane DPS *warrior* with tensir's change + vampiric touch + dark blade+haste which will grant the mage 2 times attack per round with 250HP and 30~40 damage per hit.

A mage is potentially better stealth, tank, warrior, rogue than specialized classes..... that's just plain wrong.

I play a mage/sorc most of the time and if you know how to use them they are gamebreakingly powerful.

This power should come at a cost.

Post edited by IntoTheDarkness on

Comments

• SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    I'd even be fine with needing materials for certain spell, would add a whole new level of in-depth gaming. But there would have to be a large holding bag for spell components. I actually like this idea, this is coming from someone who plays a mage/sorcerer 90% of my campaigns.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I'd prefer they added in components rather than spells. Honestly, the gold thing would make being a mage in the early levels nearly IMPOSSIBLE. Not to mention I'd feel totally cheated every time I had to cast a spell that traditionally only needs verbal and somatic components. Not to mention most spells have such common material components that DM's tend to write them off as negligible and just assume the mage has the components needed. Now, for certain spells that have major required components, like the aforementioned stoneskin, it might be interesting to incorporate components or the gold equivalent. But I'm just not willing to pay 90 gold to cast, say, a fireball, when in actual D&D all it takes is a pinch of bat guano and sulfur (nasty, yes, but probably worth like 1 GP, if that).
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118

*snip* But I'm just not willing to pay 90 gold to cast, say, a fireball *snip*

Apart from relevance as in D&D, I would say one fireball is worth more than 90 gold even in BG1 portion of the trilogy. One fireball can devastate enemy ranks without much effort, and I would say its well worth it.
    Hmmm, wonder what Irenicus would have to pay for those spells? >_>
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    When you get all those high level spells you are talking about, you have more then enough money to pay a little 810 gp per spell, it would only nerf low levelled mages
    edited November 2012
    @IntoTheDarkness
    My point is, if you want to simulate the difficulty that was lost when spell components were eliminated, it makes no sense to charge 90 GP for a spell that only requires components worth less than 1GP. It would only make sense to charge for spells that actually had spell components that were WORTH something. It's easy to look at the source material, it will usually show a monetary value for components that actually HAVE monetary value, the rest is more just for flavor. For example, Raise Dead requires diamonds, worth 1,000 GP. Stoneskin, which you mentioned earlier, requires 250 GP's worth of diamond dust. Restoration also uses diamond dust, but only requires 100 GP's worth.
    Implementing a system that charges more than ACTUAL D&D is only tacking on false difficulty and just being plain annoying and inconvenient, ESPECIALLY at the earlier levels when mages are fairly weak and money is hard to come by. Most higher-level spells, the ones that REALLY unbalance the game, do require components and I wouldn't object to seeing that implemented. But if they're gonna do it, they'd better keep it true to the source material. I don't want to be paying out the freaking ears for spells that are only supposed to require stuff like a wave of the hand, a pinch of dust, or a ball of bat poop.
    edited November 2012
    I got your point. I am less concerned with D&D implementation but rather with nerfing mages in some way. I am being honest when I say that BG is the most unbalanced RPG game I've ever played, and I hope EE will do something about it.

Early level mages are tough to play, but if you are playing with a party your mages will be protected so their vulnerability won't matter and if you are soloing they will reach a high level very quickly anyway. In my eyes mage/sorc seem flawless and definitely overpowered. <= from someone who played BG blind with sorc and finished every fight in TOB(... including the final boss fight) in 1 sec with multiple chain contingencies fired in volley.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    In ToB, you already have an overabundance of gold, so a "pay-as-you-cast" magic system wouldn't be much of a deterrent to the kind of game playing you mentioned. Why not create limits for yourself, like requiring a certain amount of game hours to pass (8-12 hours?) before you can rest and renew/re-memorize your spells? That would require you to ration your spells and use them cautiously.

I agree that the game can be easily manipulated as a solo mage if you go all out in every battle and then rest directly afterwards (especially if you're in a dungeon or other area where there are enemies nearby). But just because you CAN do something in the game doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

I got your point. I am less concerned with D&D implementation but rather with nerfing mages in some way. I am being honest when I say that BG is the most unbalanced RPG game I've ever played, and I hope EE will do something about it.

Early level mages are tough, but if you are playing a party game your mages will be protected so their vulnerability won't matter and if you are soloing they will reach high level very quickly anyway. In my eyes mage/sorc seem flawless and definitely overpowered
    Dude, I agree with what @Wolk said though. You'd only be nerfing mages at low levels when they were already pretty weak, and pretty much making them unfun and damn near impossible to play. Once you get to a point in the game where your mages start getting overpowered, you already have enough money to pay that fee like it's nothing.
    Well magic is over powered. It goes beyond the realm of limitations. It's tapping into powers far beyond sword and arrows. Of course magic is over powered. It's pretty much meant to be. It's one thing to grab a sword or bow and hit stuff, it's another thing to be a magic wielder. Even then there's only a few exceptional casters. Magic should not be on the same playing field as a fighter or an archer.
    Mortianna said:

In ToB, you already have an overabundance of gold, so a "pay-as-you-cast" magic system wouldn't be much of a deterrent to the kind of game playing you mentioned. Why not create limits for yourself, like requiring a certain amount of game hours to pass (8-12 hours?) before you can rest and renew/re-memorize your spells? That would require you to ration your spells and use them cautiously.

I agree that the game can be easily manipulated as a solo mage if you go all out in every battle and then rest directly afterwards (especially if you're in a dungeon or other area where there are enemies nearby). But just because you CAN do something in the game doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

However, it would be nice if there is something to force the restrictions on me..

Don't you only get to rest once per day in D&D? I think something like 1 rest per 24 hours won't be too far-fetched, but I will take your advice for my next playthrough.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279

However, it would be nice if there is something to force the restrictions on me..

Don't you only get to rest once per day in D&D? I think something like 1 rest per 24 hours won't be too far-fetched, but I will take your advice for my next playthrough.

No, you can rest as much you want in a day
    Wolk said:

No, you can rest as much you want in a day

Thanks, didn't know that.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    edited November 2012
    Well. First off, chain contigency doesn't stack, that is a bug in BG...50th level?what?...lol.....you are probably right that certain high level spells should be costly, though not so much that the campaign breaks. Lower level spells I say leave free.
    There is a cost to the power, though - a d4 hitpoints, and etc.
    It's not a mistake, or an imbalance, that a 20th level fighter is probably doomed against an Archmage. But the Archmage still needs a group to survive. The fighter has to be there to fight off the horde of demons while the wizard casts, and protect him when he rests, which is more than 8 hours, I think by 1st edition anyway...
    also, I doubt that solo mage in BG2/ToB is a cakewalk, especially if you go no-reloads, make the character stick with they're % to know spell, etc.

edited November 2012

Well. First off, chain contigency doesn't stack, that is a bug in BG...50th level?what?...lol.....you are probably right that certain high level spells should be costly, though not so much that the campaign breaks. Lower level spells I say leave free.
    There is a cost to the power, though - a d4 hitpoints, and etc.
    It's not a mistake, or an imbalance, that a 20th level fighter is probably doomed against an Archmage. But the Archmage still needs a group to survive. The fighter has to be there to fight off the horde of demons while the wizard casts, and protect him when he rests, which is more than 8 hours, I think by 1st edition anyway...

How does HP matter when you are virtually immune to all damages with protection spells? Even if you don't pre-buff, stoneskin and contingencies can buy you time to cast a timestop. once timestop is fired, the battle is over. a fully effective level 50th fighter(with exp remover and unnerfed thac0, saving throw table) will be slaughtered by a level 20 sorc, no matter the circumstances. Give me a sorc who can cast 9th level and I can kill as many fighters, regardless of their level, as the number of timestop available. (a little exaggeration. but no doubt they are immensely powerful in high levels :p)
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    No.

Warcraft had a reagent system for casters, which was gradually minimized and in some cases eliminated, because reagents end up being a HUGE pain in the butt for players. They're not fun, and don't create any meaningful restrictions on mages.

I agree that BG's rest system is borked, and BG2's rest-until-healed is even worse. Because they're easily exploited, they make a caster's single biggest limitation -- spells per "day" -- totally meaningless. Any caster at any level has, functionally, unlimited access.

If you're looking to curb late game power, I'd start there.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    You know, this isn't going to do what you want it to do. It isn't a well reasoned argument or a well thought out execution. You come across as a raincloud trying to ruin everyone's parade.

If you don't like how it works now, don't abuse the magic system. Or find a mod that does what you want and just "fix" your own game.

Isn't it enough that you can play by your own rules? Do you have to force everyone to play by them as well?

You are like a man who moves into a town where the speed limit is 35mph. It is well known for it's low speed limit and the fact the children play in the streets. And then trying to get the speed limit raised and balls outlawed to get the town to conform to his wishes.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    Mages are meant to be overpowered in D&D. They are also overpowered in DAO. This is what makes these games glorious and fun. This isn't an MMO where every class needs to be balanced, and when in DDO, wizards and sorcerers are the most powerful classes.

You cannot swing a sword with the same amount of power that my fireball will hit your face with, there is no need to change what works brilliantly.

If you find mages too powerful and want them nerfed, then a better solution would be not to play a mage, and not to take mages on your group.

By saying you would need these restrictions 'forced upon you', ask yourself why is that? Obviously you enjoy playing mages so much in BG that you can't even force yourself to stop using OP spell combinations on them. Another solution is to play a sorcerer and pick no NPC arcane casters. On your sorcerer only take gimped spells and buffs.
    Post edited by Mungri on
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Spell components are one of those 'authenticity vs fun' things. Un-fun trying to buy wool, a leather strip and candlewax, for instance. I say no thank you. It's either MAGIC or it ISN'T...
    Casters are spreads balanced. When their spells rumour mid fight they are useless. Other classes can carry on dealing damage constantly without needing to rest all the time, but you casters need to rememorize spells after every few battles. Tell me, if they implemented the 'rest once per day only' restriction, how would your clerics manage to heal your party in each fight?
    CaptRory said:

You know, this isn't going to do what you want it to do. It isn't a well reasoned argument or a well thought out execution. You come across as a raincloud trying to ruin everyone's parade.

If you don't like how it works now, don't abuse the magic system. Or find a mod that does what you want and just "fix" your own game.

Isn't it enough that you can play by your own rules? Do you have to force everyone to play by them as well?

You are like a man who moves into a town where the speed limit is 35mph. It is well known for it's low speed limit and the fact the children play in the streets. And then trying to get the speed limit raised and balls outlawed to get the town to conform to his wishes.

Or maybe he knows the speed limit is 35 mph, but his cars maximum speed is much higher, so he drives around at 60 mph demanding that it isn't his fault, and that all cars should be hard limited to 35 mph max.
    Mungri said:

You cannot swing a sword with the same amount of power that my fireball will hit your face with, there is no need to change what works brilliantly.

I don't know if it works 'brilliantly,' because this is an ongoing issue across all sorts of different RPGs. And it keeps coming up.

I don't think we should interpret the collective failure of developers and writers to scale caster power as "oh, yeah, working as intended." That's a bit too easy a rationalization.

As for your example: Not necessarily. You can normalize the damage. Eg: Fighters can hit a single target for 10 damage, while a Mage can hit five targets for two damage each.

But while a Mage can hit multiple targets and never miss while a Fighter can't, that doesn't quite feel like enough compensation to justify the Mage's traditional weaknesses, ie lack physical defenses and hard limits on casting (either through a mana system or 'memorization.')

It gets tricky when you try and create classes that are more or less balanced so that no one class is clearly more attractive or superior than any other, and then further scale that balance up and up and up to high levels.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Mungri said:

CaptRory said:

Or maybe he knows the speed limit is 35 mph, but his cars maximum speed is much higher, so he drives around at 60 mph demanding that it isn't his fault, and that all cars should be hard limited to 35 mph max.
    Ha! That's closer to it, methinks. Either way, he knows the deal going in and trying to change something everyone else is perfectly happy with. No one forced him to move there.
    edited November 2012
    Of course mages can miss if enemy suceeds their save. And no if a warrior hits for 10 damage then that doesn't mean that a mage should only hit for 2x5. What about the reduced armor? Lower health? Reliance on spell memorization or in other games mana? Mages are meant to be able to nuke the crap out of egerything in sight, but they have a lot of drawbacks to make up for it like their terrible hit die. People here have a terrible understanding of game balance and this is what leads to most modern RPGs being so boring.

The reason why it keeps on coming up is because most gamers are @#£%£&amp;() and whinge and whine any time that their melee or ranged character is weaker than the spellcaster. You know there's a reason why mages are called nukers? There's a reason for why Gandalf was so much more powerful than ordinary men in LOTR? Because he had magic.
    Mungri said:

The reason why it keeps on coming up is because most gamers are @#£%£&amp;() and whinge and whine any time that their melee or ranged

The reason it keeps coming up is because gameplay that defaults to godmode ends up being deeply boring.

In the context of BG, because of bad scaling, a lot of high level fights must always be prefaced by a few rounds of stripping away spell protections and lowering enemy saving throws. That's not sexy, fun, or powerful. It's just tedious. The only reason it's necessary is because Mage scaling sucks.
    edited November 2012
    But in BG you are eventually supposed to become a god, or at least have god like powers.

There is nothing boring about the gameplay of BG, if it was so boring then why are there still all these fans of the game here today? None of your balanced games have stood up to the test of time as well as BG has.

What would balance the combat in BG would be more challenging enemies, not nerfing the magic. Even better would be a PVP system with one player controlled mage battling another player controlled mage. That would be pure mayhem and fun.

As much as you want to try to convince us otherwise, you secretely love the spells and mages in BG, that's why you can't stop playing them or the game.

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but to me the single most fun and amazing thing about BG is the mage vs mage battles. The strategy and planning involved behind such battles is comparable to a game of chess to me, and I wouldn't want it to be done any other way. I would find it incredibly boring to simply run through the entire game by doing nothing other than poking everything dead with a stick. Any nerfs that you make to mages will nerf the difficulty of the game tremendously, because enemy mages are the games most powerful enemies.

If you genuinely hate the power creep and mage power in BG, then no one is forcing you to play the game that way. Create a custom team of gimps with no arcane casters, turn the difficulty up to full and enjoy playing how you desire.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Here is a suggestion: there are 9 spell levels and 9 schools of magic. At level 1, mages can cast all 9 schools, at level 8, mages can only pick spells from 8 schools.....until at level 9, mage can only pick one school of magic to cast. Specialist mages have an opposition school, so they cast lvl 1, 2 and 3 spells from 7/8 schools, lvl 4 spells from 6 schools, lvl 5 spells from 5 schools....until lvl 9 spell from 1 school. For sorcerers and wild mages, I have no idea how to implement this rule on them.

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure rather this is too restrictive.
    That's a horrible suggestion, at level 9 spells there are hardly any spells per school to make that viable.

Here's a better solution - play a hardcore run on the highest difficulty with no reloads allowed apart from when you exit the game. If you die then you have to start again from the start.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Yea, maybe too restrictive. Maybe relax the requirement by half. At the end, mages get 2 schools of lvl 9 spell. Specialist mages can always cast their spells from their own school in addition to the limit.