Skip to content

Near Infinity and my inability to understand rudimentary tasks

Stupid_PunsStupid_Puns Member Posts: 66
It's simple, truly, I can't seem to run Near Infinity for the life of me. I downloaded the most recent version and the most recent version of Java. I run the program, it says "Choose how you want to run the this" I choose Java, doesn't let me. So then I choose Javacpl, then Javaw, then javaws, none of which work. Although, when I re-installed Java because I was blaming my failure on Java, I ran Near Infinity again with Java, but it just opened it as a text document, so then I re-install it AGAIN... and still nothing happens. What am I missing, do I have to go into the cmd? Tried that, still didn't work. I understand I'm not the sharpest tool the shed, but wow. I mean WOW, what am I failing to grasp here? (For those of you curious as to why I need Near Infinity, I'm playing through IWD:EE with Drizzt's party and wanted to add their signature weapons to the game, does that have to do with anything, probably not)

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited August 2017
    Hi @Stupid_Puns, not sure about your PC skills nor what you may have tried already, but have you unpacked the Near Infinity download. I am guessing that you have done this already but just incase.. The file should look like 'NearInfinity.jar'. If the file looks like 'NearInfinity-20170809.zip', then use Explorer (I guess you are using Windows) to unzip.

If that doesn't work, you could try EEKeeper to add the items. Once the pathing is set, you will be able to edit your saved game with ease.

Gus

Edit: No cmd necessary, to run Near Infinity should be a double click once 'open with' is setup properly.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I feel your pain. It took me almost a month until I was able to use NI.

I'll guide you through the road that helped me.

1) You need to have the Java installed and yada-yada-yada. Here you go.

2) Download NI. This was the tricky part because the only place where I could find a functional NI was here. The only file you need is the NearInfinity.jar that is inside.

3) Unzip it, right-click, Open with... Java (TM) Platform SE Binary. IDK if you can setup Windows to always open this kind of file with Java, mine never gave me this option.

That should do the trick.
  • Stupid_PunsStupid_Puns Member Posts: 66
    Well would you just look at that, I mean look at it! Thanks to you Mr./Mrs./Ms. @Gusinda and @Raduziel (not saying the two of you are together, just you know...uh...) I've successfully overcome my disability of severe stupidity. The name says it all. Anyway... I'll be here...in case...I don't know...
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Gusinda here's my number, so call me maybe.