Skip to content

BG2:EE Chaotic Commands

Either these forums don't have all the info on Chaotic Commands or I'm not searching correctly but where can the scroll be found?

Comments

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    It's a cleric spell and you get it automatically when you reach a high enough level as far as I know. I think any scrolls for it are random drops.
  • rosetylerrosetyler Member Posts: 37
    Sigh, what I thought. I hope in the future that the console becomes available for android. I'm hitting roadblocks everywhere and it would really come in handy. Thanks for the info!
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    There are a number of alternatives to chaotic commands that you might be able to use. The first which is available from the beginning of the game is to turn on berserk mode for anyone who might have that ability, such as Minsc. A lot of people don't know that being berserk protects you from most mind-affecting magic. Later on, you can have your mages cast "spell immunity" as long as you know the school of the spell that is affecting you.

Another thing you can do is make sure you've memorized "dispel magic" so you can get rid of mind-affecting magic after it hits your party. If you have Keldorn in your party, you'll want to use his inquisitor version as it is the most powerful in the game. If not, then I believe all the game's casters can memorize it though it may sometimes take a couple of casts to fully free everyone.

You also want to be on the lookout for items that make characters immune to effects like confusion and charm. (These are mostly weapons though there are some shields and other items as well.) When you dual-wield in BG2, you make almost all your attacks with your main-hand weapon so it isn't too much of a sacrifice to put an "immunity" weapon in your off-hand even if its DPS isn't the best. Of course you can do this with shields too if you prefer better AC to higher DPS.

Finally, be aware of particular low-level spells relating to fear and paralysis that automatically work (and in the case of fear may protect you for a period of time against future exposure). Hope this helps!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Any cleric or druid can cast it as a level 5 priest spell once they reach level 9. Shamans can also choose it at level 10.

Mages and other spellcasters may never cast it, unless they also have 9 cleric levels.

The Chaotic Commands scrolls are rare, generally unnecessary, and can only be cast by priests anyway.
    This is some great info guys. Does this all apply to psionics? I'm soloing and was attempting the secret mind flayer base in the sewers, and was gunna bring jaheira along to cast chaotic commands. She can only memorize one or two at a time, so the scrolls would have come in handy.

On that note, any extra tips facing mind flayers?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Chaotic commands doesn't technically protect against all psionic attacks, but it does prevent both charm and the psionic blast used by mind flayers. That means that mind flayers can't hurt you if you stay at range, so makes them easy enough to deal with using a bit of kiting (buffing a single character to ensure saving throws are successful is an alternative to chaotic commands).

If you're high level then the easiest way to dispose of lots of mind flayers is to use a planetar - buff them with globe of blades, improved invisibility and improved haste and watch the carnage. Mind flayers don't have good THAC0, so if you have a well-armored character they can usually get away with meleeing, but if there are several attacking flayers at once there's always the chance that you'll be unlucky.
    rosetyler said:

This is some great info guys. Does this all apply to psionics? I'm soloing and was attempting the secret mind flayer base in the sewers, and was gunna bring jaheira along to cast chaotic commands. She can only memorize one or two at a time, so the scrolls would have come in handy.

On that note, any extra tips facing mind flayers?

I've just done that bit and had the same problem, no cleric.

Shield of Harmony+2.
    You get it doing the Trademeet Quest.

You haven't said what your charname is though?

Other than that if you are a mage, lots of hasted summons and stay back and hit them with a sling. As it happened, although my charname was using the shield, the skeleton warriors blocked the narrow corridors so I didn't actually hit them at all. Edwin is the only other party member and did more damage using the Sling of Everard safely from distance.

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    For mind flayers, you want to use summoned creatures who don't have minds and hence are unaffected by mind flayer attacks. Mordenkainen's swords are the best if you have them, if not then you can use skeletons instead. Hopefully you can also arrange the summoned creatures so they are body-blocking hallways, which lets your ranged characters attack them more or less at will.

Shield of Harmony+2.

Have you tested this? I'm pretty sure it only protects from hold and not stun (such as the mind flayer psionic blast). If you want to go for immunity items then equip Arbane against stun in addition to something protecting against charm (such as the Shield of Harmony).
    Grond0 said:

Shield of Harmony+2.

Have you tested this? I'm pretty sure it only protects from hold and not stun (such as the mind flayer psionic blast). If you want to go for immunity items then equip Arbane against stun in addition to something protecting against charm (such as the Shield of Harmony).
    In this run they threw everything at my charname who was using it and nothing got through. I was quite blase about not being caught so didn't even try and avoid anything.
    And the reason I thought of it for this run was because I'd noticed that when NPC have used it before.
    But I wouldn't like to say that for sure now you've pointed it out.

Have to see what happens in the underdark.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Shield of Harmony+2.
    You get it doing the Trademeet Quest.

I cannot upvote this enough. By the time you get to BG2, shields are, generally speaking, not as useful as dual wielding. However, there are some Exceptions, and the Shield of Harmony is definitely one of them.
    Nevermind actually, I needed to rest one or two times but it worked. Jaheira used CC on my player, and I ran in and killed everything. It was a good plan.

Grond0 said:

Shield of Harmony+2.

In this run they threw everything at my charname who was using it and nothing got through. I was quite blase about not being caught so didn't even try and avoid anything.
    And the reason I thought of it for this run was because I'd noticed that when NPC have used it before.
    But I wouldn't like to say that for sure now you've pointed it out.

Have to see what happens in the underdark.
    I did a quick test on this. The Shield of Harmony does not protect against stun in BG2EE - which I expected. What I didn't expect was that Arbane doesn't either. It definitely did in vanilla, but it was an undocumented feature, so presumably Beamdog have decided that was unintended and should be removed. If you want to protect against stun in BG2EE then your options are:
    - low saving throws
    - sword of Arvoreen (Mazzy or a high level thief)
    - chaotic commands
    - Greenstone Amulet
    - various forms of rage / berserk
    - Slayer change
    - magic resistance will protect against some forms of stun (but not psionics)
    - some mods also allow you to change free action to protect against stun
    Since I had a nice amount of people contribute, what are the best strategies against beholders? CC is effective but not as well as I hoped
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    rosetyler said:

Since I had a nice amount of people contribute, what are the best strategies against beholders? CC is effective but not as well as I hoped

Shield of Balduran =D
    rosetyler said:

What class are you playing?
    Area effect spells from out of sight. If just one beholder you can mob them with a full party. Mage buffs locked in by spell shield. For high level characters deathblow / greater deathblow works an absolute treat.
    edited August 2017
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Fighter/Mage (lv. 12/13) Master of a longsword+defensive spells+haste+breach. Would spell shield be something worth to cast as well?

Edit: Just saw that bit about the Shield of Balduran. That seems like the simplest route to go :)
    rosetyler said:

@UnderstandMouseMagic Fighter/Mage (lv. 12/13) Master of a longsword+defensive spells+haste+breach. Would spell shield be something worth to cast as well?

Edit: Just saw that bit about the Shield of Balduran. That seems like the simplest route to go :)

nah.

Cloudkill from out of sight, recharge a wand, 50 charges, Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt.

Staff of the magi from the Twisted Rune for never ending invisibility, skeleton warriors for any who get adventurous, and the belt from the Sauhagin.

Just stand back and watch that lovely XP mount up.

It's so cheesy in comparison, it makes the shield look like a decent fair playing tactic. :D
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Grond0 said:

I did a quick test on this. The Shield of Harmony does not protect against stun in BG2EE - which I expected. What I didn't expect was that Arbane doesn't either. It definitely did in vanilla, but it was an undocumented feature, so presumably Beamdog have decided that was unintended and should be removed. If you want to protect against stun in BG2EE then your options are:
    - low saving throws
    - sword of Arvoreen (Mazzy or a high level thief)
    - chaotic commands
    - Greenstone Amulet
    - various forms of rage / berserk
    - Slayer change
    - magic resistance will protect against some forms of stun (but not psionics)
    - some mods also allow you to change free action to protect against stun

Arbane was all over the place in vBG2 with a very sorta, kinda, psuedo, not-really-free-action with random bits removed. Fixpack--and by extension BG2EE--try to bring some sanity to it and actually make its abilities line up to its description. Shield of Harmony doesn't protect from Stun, and didn't in vBG2 either.

Stun protection is exceedingly rare, and @Grond0 has done a good job rounding up the few sources that provide it.