Skip to content

SoA to ToB: Save File Compatibility (Game Version, New Mods)

Hi,

I am about to finish BG2:EE SoA. My current install is BG2:EE v1.3.2064 (i.e., the Deep Silver's DVD edition) with mods (listed in install order) Unfinished Business v26, BG2 Tweak Pack v16, Rogue Rebalancing v4.80, Sword Coast Stratagems v30, Wizard Slayer Rebalancing v1.13 and aTweaks v4.42.

I was able to redeem my physical copy thanks to fantastic customer service by Beamdog (thank you, you truly are the best! :blush: ). That means that I have a separate BG2:EE install on my computer via the Beamdog client. The version is v2.3.67.3. I would like to continue to the ToB campaign on this version and also add mods The Wheels of Prohecy and Ascension (I've never played ToB; always stopped at the end of SoA but now I would like to finish the saga and I think I'm going to like the mods for how they enhance the story).

Please is this even possible - can I transfer the final save from SoA to another (newer) install with two additional mods? If it is feasible, please do you have any useful advice? I prefer playing on the older version without the extra mods over playing a game that crashes or is broken because some global variables are incompatible..

Thank you

Comments

• DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Okay, good news and bad news. The good news is it MIGHT be possible. The bad news is, there's no way to tell if it will work unless you try.

The major complicating factor are the mods, of course. While the version jump from 1.3 to 2.3 might cause some small issues, it's the extensive mods that might cause compatibility issues, especially since those mods have also changed since you started your save. Adding more mods on top of that... well it's a crapshoot. You can try it, the game probably won't explode, but honestly, you're less likely to run into compatibility problems if you just started a new game.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Generally speaking - you can install the ToB only mods (Wheels, Ascension) on a running game if you do it prior the transition to ToB. There should not be any problems.

However, your issue is the old 1.3 version you like to use. I am not sure if the current EE versions of those mods are compatible with it. Most EE mods today require 2.3. There is a small chance that it works since both mods are pretty old mods made for the original game and they may not use any of the new functions. I am not sure at which point in EE development they were made compatible. It is worth a try.

What is clearly impossible is to use the 1.3 saves of one modded game on the modded 2.3 version.

If I were you, I would simply try it. Install the mods on the 1.3 before you transition into ToB (or install them and go to a save before transition). In case it goes wrong, so what? You have nothing to lose.