Skip to content

Are the files found in the override folder platform independent?

StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
Is it possible to mod BG2ee on a WIN10 system and transfer the changed files (override folder, dialog.tlk, etc) to a BG2EE installation on a MacOS system in order to have a modded BG2ee installation on MacOS?

Comments

• BrutaleBentBrutaleBent Member Posts: 36
    Override folder, yes, dialog.tlk - no idea on mac, I just know iPad/iPhone iOS doesn't allow for modding dialog.tlk unless it's jailbroken. ;)
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    I don't know anything about Mac, but even between to win10 installs this doesn't work. You need to transfer the whole game, not just the changed files since all the references in chitin.key need to match.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    It's no problem to change the dialog.tlk file on a Mac.

I plan to condense the modifications in a DLC archive using @argent77 DlcBuilder. Transferring the DLC archive to another computer is easy (perhaps possible on IOS too ?!?).

I've successfully saved a complete EET installation in a DLC archive, transferred the archive to another system (both systems are running under MacOS). A very easy way to install EET.

Since MacOS doesn't support BWS I'd like to install the mods with the help of BWS on a Windows system, transfer the DLC archive to MacOS und play it there.

I don't know anything about Mac, but even between to win10 installs this doesn't work. You need to transfer the whole game, not just the changed files since all the references in chitin.key need to match.

I'm transferring modifications between systems for ages now. You really only need the override folder and the dialog.tlk file.
    edited September 2017
    Normally I don't need BWS to install mods. But I like to play the Sandrah Saga For EET on a Mac. The plan is to install everything under windows with BWS help, save the installation in a DLC archive and play the Sandrah Saga on a Mac.

If this is at all possible it would be an easy way to share installations between users.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    Game resources are generally platform-independent. I don't know if Unix/Windows line breaks in text files play a role, but I doubt it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited October 2017
    For those who are interested, transfering /override and /lang folders from a Windows install totally works on a Mac install. I made an BWS install and it works without problems on my Mac. Here's Ascension Illasera against a random charname I made for testing purpose :

I installed a big bunch of mods, from UI to AI, and everything's there. There's hope for us Mac user !
    Post edited by Arctodus on
    Oh, Mac users can stand on their own, I'm sure. One can install almost anything, from the simple NPC mod over SCS to EET. Only the Big World Mega Mods like Sandrah Saga rely heavily on the meta knowledge condensed in BWS and BWP.