Skip to content

Thinking about choosing a half-elf instread of an elf fighter/mage

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    I know that's a lot to digest in the post above. To highlight a general question from it:

For BG:EE (i.e., approx. level 1-7) for a half-elf Fighter-Mage equipped with all the most advantageous gear, do you think the following spells will typically match the damage deliver from weapons in a round or two?

Magic Missile
    Larloch's Minor Drain
    Shocking Grasp
    Burning Hands
    Melf's Acid Arrow
    Melf's Minute Meteors

A reasonable estimate for the PC's Strength ability score is around 16. I intend to use the THACO reducing gauntlets (weapons expertise, I think it is) versus Ogre Strength for this character. It's questionable whether I'll be able to spend a spell slot on Strength. Likely not. I use buffing potions liberally, though.

I'll probably dual-wield a katana (is there a katana + 1 in BG1 other than Tamoko's?) and Varscona.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I didn't think there were *any* katanas in BG1
    BTW one other factor when comparing elves and half-elves to bear in mind (though this depends on how you roll) is that elves have higher minimum stats for some attributes than half-elves, so because of the way BG works, are a little easier to roll good stats for (the easiest race/class to roll high for us a elf ranger). Fighter/Mages have quite demanding attribute requirements, as you need decent scores in at least Str, Dex, Con and Int, so this could be a factor to take into account.

Am still undecided which to go for, but I think both races have their merits.

I'm expecting BG:EE to make some available.

Lemernis said:

I'm expecting BG:EE to make some available.
    Have the developers indicated elsewhere that they would? If not, I wouldn't bank on it, remember BG1 is on the Sword Coast.

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,344
    If they don't it would make it sort of awkward to invest proficiency points into katanas at character creation only to realize you won't be able to get your hands on any until BG2.
    Shin said:

If they don't it would make it sort of awkward to invest proficiency points into katanas at character creation only to realize you won't be able to get your hands on any until BG2.

Indeed, scimitars aren't much better, although at least you can buy some non-magical ones in Candlekeep
    Aye. I would expect them to add weapons of all kinds mainly for that reason. But if not, it's still an easy matter to edit/mod them in.
    Btw what's that sword in BG2 that gives you extra spells, is it a katana? I still wouldn't take this as my first pick I'm BG1, though.
    If you're thinking of Dak'kon's Zerth Blade, yeah. Definitely a fighter/mage kind of weapon.
    Shin said:

If you're thinking of Dak'kon's Zerth Blade, yeah. Definitely a fighter/mage kind of weapon.

Cool, thanks - can you pick this up relatively early on? Might go for Katanas in my last 2 picks in BG1, after long swords or axes and two-weapon fighting, though might go the two-handed swords/staves route instead.

It's sold by one of the bonus merchants in adventurer's mart, you should be able to buy it quite early if you don't spend your gold elsewhere.
    edited November 2012
    Well, if katanas aren't available in BG:EE I'll just use long swords (+2 amd +1). But in BG2:EE I will want katanas and long swords, so I'll add profs accordingly. No biggie.

I'm also seriously thinking of profs in missiles this time around for darts of stunning.
    Lemernis said:

Well, if katanas aren't available in BG:EE I'll just use long swords (+2 amd +1). But in BG2:EE I will want katanas and long swords, so I'll add profs accordingly. No biggie.

I'm also seriously thinking of profs in missiles this time around for darts of stunning.

You'd have to pick the very specific "Darts" weapon proficiency in BGEE, there is no generic "Missile" proficiency in BGEE, unlike BG1, as far as I'm aware. Also be aware that enemies will get +4 to hit you if you don't have a melee weapon equiped in close combat.

BTW I found an interesting thread on the merits of longswords vs. katanas and scimitars etc. for figher/mages on Gamebanshee here:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/threads/fighter-mage-longswords-or-katanas.117066/

I still like the idea of longswords as my main hand weapon (especially for The Answerer, which lowers magic resistance on hit), but am undecided whether scimitars (mainly for Belm) or even short swords (for Kundane) would be better in the off-hand than katanas, for the extra attack (which the main hand would get), though I do like the idea of the extra spells that the Dak'kon's Zerth Blade katana would give...

• RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    I'm not sure anymore either. I usually started as a Human Mage and then after getting a few pure mage levels under my belt I'd dual class to mage/fighter. It's been so long now though since I've even played I can't remember what the specific reason was for that I did that, just that there was one.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited November 2012

But they (gnome fighter/illusionists) can't cast necromancy spells, no Horrid Wilting etc.!

Aren't you going to have another mage in the party? Most decent parties have two. :)

Plus for the entire BG1 playthrough, Necromancy basically sucks. Larloch's Minor drain for spell disruption. Skull Trap to blow some shit up. That's pretty much it.
    @HaHaCharade I disagree re: Necromancy in BG1, although it's probably eccentric of me to like the combo of Ghoul Touch and Vampiric Touch for a Fighter-Mage.
    edited November 2012
    Lemernis said:

@HaHaCharade I disagree re: Necromancy in BG1, although it's probably eccentric of me to like the combo of Ghoul Touch and Vampiric Touch for a Fighter-Mage.

Interesting, but as a fighter/mage I'd just use my sword instead of trying to slap someone with a hand - Cool spell effects aside. Just stick em with the pointy end. Besides there's better defensive spells / attack spells at those levels to focus on imo.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    The real loss for Gnomes is Spirit Armor. But since level 4 spells slots are so rare, it's bearable. Bonus to Saves vs Spells and Specialization are way to good to mourn on Necromancy spells anyway.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    They've stated they will be adding weapons for those under-represented weapon types. They mentioned a new club or two, added some elven chain, etc. so I'm quite sure there will be a Katana or two.
    Quartz said:

They've stated they will be adding weapons for those under-represented weapon types. They mentioned a new club or two, added some elven chain, etc. so I'm quite sure there will be a Katana or two.

I pray for a good bastard sword

edited November 2012

Lemernis said:

Interesting, but as a fighter/mage I'd just use my sword instead of trying to slap someone with a hand - Cool spell effects aside. Just stick em with the pointy end. Besides there's better defensive spells / attack spells at those levels to focus on imo.
    Point well taken, although maybe what I should have emphasized more is that I wish to test how well I can integrate melee and spellcasting right on the front line. The character will eventually have two RoWs and the Amulet of Metaspell Iinfluence, so I think he'll have a few spell slots to have some fun with. For major battles this Fighter-Mage will definitely be buffed (in addition to Armor, which he'll pretty much enjoy the effect of all the time). I'm just noting that in the midst of combat I have already found it satisfying in past games to paralyze enemies, draw HP from them, and whittle them down. I'll certainly use more than those two Necromancy spells, though. The character will also cast Sleep, Horror, Charm, Blind, Hold, Slow, Contagion, Chaos, Emotion: Hopelessness, as needed. I'll have Neera and Imoen casting spells from the back row; so those two will probably take care of most of those spells I just listed. But that also means that my Fighter-Mage will have the freedom to be very selective during combat with his spellcasting, using whatever is needed as the battle develops. I expect he will routinely target either enemy spellcasters or the most badass meleers. All that said, I won't be surprised if this Fighter-Mage ends up mainly dual-wielding swords. (Hopefully long sword and katana.) What I wish to see is how artfully/deftly he can manage to fit in spellcasting right on the front line.
    @Lemernis Yeah, I tend to always use a Fighter/Mage (or in my case illusionist) as a secondary caster and therefore honestly don't cast *a lot* of spells with him from the front line with the exception of defensive self-only magics like Shield, Armor, Blur, Ghost Armor, Mirror Image, etc. I will use a magic missle or chromatic orb for range if needed tho and Lightning Bolts can be fun for a Fighter/Mage if u bank em right. -- Run up to a group of baddies cast it on the dude in front that ur fighting and quickly run back lol. Watch them all explode basically if u hit the wall right.
    @Lemernis You know you can cast & attack in the same round, right? So, going melee with your F/M is not only feasible it's recommended!
    edited November 2012
    @HaHaCharade Definitely love me some Lightning--but it can so easily fry one's own party too! But I guess there's Quicksave and reload for that.
    Abel said:

@Lemernis You know you can cast & attack in the same round, right? So, going melee with your F/M is not only feasible it's recommended!

Yep, and thanks. I was just clarifying that he is a meleer for sure. Some might use such a character in the back row with a bow--which in BG:EE could be pretty devastating as well, actually.
    Yes, you're totally right. Strength modified ranged weapons like throwing axes should be pretty lethal too.
    edited November 2012
    This line of thinking has me considering that a dual-classed Mage-Archer might be worth the trouble, much as I hate dual-classing.
    If we could dual-class Archer that'd be indeed great. Makes me think to the Arcane Archer of NWN.
    I don't think you can dual class either to or from an Archer without hacking it using Shadowkeeper or something