Skip to content

Complaint about being Electronic Artsed over $2 in pre-ordering

I strongly support this project, as Baldur's Gate and the other infinity engine games are my favorite games of all time. It is a shame that this branch of RPG development was stunted in favor of unsightly 3D action genre nonsense without gripping storylines masquerading as RPGS.

That being said, here is my complaint.

Y'all raised the pre-order price from $18 to $20. I was planning to pre-order because the price was better. I assumed the prices would remain constant as they were announced. $18 to pre-order, $20 after launch. I figured I would wait a little longer to pre-order since the release date got pushed back.

But suddenly the pre-order price has changed. So why pre-order? Why not just download the game for free out of spite? I'm still going to buy the game, just like I did every other infinity engine game. And Baldur's gate II EE. And whatever else is churned out by this team. I support the cause.

I do ask that you the developers act with honor and treat me the fan/customer with respect. I put on pants in the morning. I stand up when I go to the bathroom. I don't take a long time in the shower. I keep my cars and guns oiled. I eat vegetables.

Don't electronic arts me over $2. This is not a case of "too bad" and "tough luck" and "stop complaining about nothing." Does this portend more Maddenesque behavior by Beamdog, or can we reach an accord of future upright conduct?

Sieur de La Cornbread

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    trinit said:

sarcasm aside, discount was for people that preordered before original intended ship date. sounds like you took your sweet time, and got less appealing deal because the discount ended. sounds like a standard business practice to me.

This sort of sums it up.

• ElofElof Member Posts: 42
    edited November 2012
    So they raise the price by $2 to a price they always said they would be moving to anyway ($20), and you think that justifies pirating the game out of spite? (I know you'll buy it anyway, but you still made that comment)

It's a bit rich to call out the developer on respect as well. What respect have you shown to them by 1) not pre-ordering earlier and 2) making an off hand comment about pirating the game?

And anyway, it's $2. You probably earn that in the time it takes to turn up to work and take your coat off. So don't make a big deal out of it.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited November 2012
    Sorry Sieur, you just got Electronic Arted! I haven't pre-ordered the game yet either. I'm just waiting for it to cost a bit more than its current price. So, you see, if price goes back down I'm screwed. I thought about buying more than one copy but then I only need one, so that would be silly to buy more, right? I don't know what to do... Maybe I just need to get properly Electronic Arted too.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Viva la Revolution!
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    And yet another troll whining about nothing. Don't you have, like, a job or a family to attend to? People have too much free time on their hands nowadays. Leads to bullshitting on the interent. *goes back to work on her German assignments for next Tuesday*
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Oh my god people are being overcharged by $2!

To quote Imoen, 'I care not'.
  • I don't follow the forums or normally have time to. I did that when I was in college with the original games. Now I have to put in a hard day's work and make an honest living to put food on the table. I have purchased every infinity engine and ad&d 2nd edition game and will continue to. That's hundreds of dollars of respect and support I have shown which will extend indefinitely until the greys take me back up to the mother ship. Please ad hominem criticize my support and respect ad infinitum.

I ask for pricing consistency for the general public. The fanboy knowledge obtained from faithful forum adherency is irrelevant to me. A sudden pre-order price change is unfair to people like me who planned to pre-order but postponed the pre-order after the release date was postponed. Potentially it increases profits at the expense of alienating people like me. That's why this is an electronic artsing.

It's not about the money of course, but principle. I would buy the game whether it was $18 or $50. The problem is the act of profit-motivated price increases. This is not a surcharge to offset rising corn prices to feed the Beamdog hogs. Bioware was not perfect, and neither is Beamdog. Beamdog carries a mandate from the fans, but that mandate can be lost. I'm asking for future virtuous behavior.

I will swat the sycophantic forum gnats if time permits. The video is wonderful. I'm more interested in a response from the developers though. Are you going to Electronic Arts us a second time?

Sieur de La Cornbread
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    Um, when has EA ever raised a price of any of their games? Or do you just blindly hate EA so much that you assume every business practice you don't like is something they do? Either way, should have pre ordered sooner. Better get out the Guy Fawkes mask and start your revolution.
    @OP so what if you've paid so much money for past infinity games? Beamdog didn't earn a single penny from any of that, and this remake has nothing to do with the original degelopers or publishers.

The game is being enhanced by a new studio, and if the enhanced editions make enough money, they might make a BG3. If thats not a good enough reason for you to pay an extra $2 then simply don't buy the game.
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    This is ridiculous...

Nothing further.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Sieur, I tend to agree with you about the unexpected price increase. The FAQ still says 17.99$. I don't really know why the price increased and why a difference is now made between pre-delay buyers and current buyers. To be honest, all this marketing annoys me. So I'll just buy the game when it's released.
  • SieurdeLaCornbreadSieurdeLaCornbread Member Posts: 21
    edited November 2012
    I did scapegoat EA unfairly. They had to be nailed to the cross so that I could create a new verb, Electronic Artsing. Doesn't quite roll off the tongue. Regardless, I should not have pre-ordered sooner. Beamdog should have kept their pricing consistent. If they wanted $20 for pre-orders, they should have charged that from the start of the pre-ordering period.

Instead, they said pre-orders $18, $20 after release. That's an honest handshake. $18 until we magically raise the price to $20 one day while still in the pre-order period, negating the most obvious reason to pre-order? That's not logically sound nor transparent to a consumer. It may or may not be good business on Beamdog/Overhaul's end. It does hurt their image and reputation in my eyes.

I'm going to buy the game. I do not mean to say that Trent Oster has lost his halo. I just want to be clear that I expect the developer to be fair and stick to their word without Electronic Artsing me again.
    Post edited by SieurdeLaCornbread on
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @Sylvus_Moonbow I can't remember:D I think it was implied he died horribly... but that was before children were routinely killed in movies. Will have to watch it again at some point I guess and get back to you.
    Its not still under the original pre order time frame. The $17.99 price was limited to pre orders up until the original release date in September. After the game got delayed for 2 months, they removed the pre order offer from the original release date.

If you didn't know about the game, or didn't pre order it before the original release date, that's no one else fault that you missed out on the offer. The reduced price was available for as long as it was originally planned.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    edited November 2012
    @SieurdeLaCornbread - I am sorry, but your reasoning is faulty. Beamdog has always been 100% transparent about their pricing policy. If you missed the memo, which is something that can happen, they are not to blame.

They said they would grant a $2.00 discount to people who pre-ordered the game before 18th September 2012. They did not say "before the game is released"; they explicitly said "before 18th September 2012."

When the game was delayed, they did not say the special pre-order price would extend to match the new release date. Instead, they said they would keep it up only a little while longer (I can't honestly remember if they provided an actual date). That was to give the opportunity to people like you, who did not pre-order earlier, to still get the special price.

Like all good things, the discount also got the an end. Not that it $2.00 would be an overly big deal, anyway. The game now costs $19.99, which has always been the game's advertised full price. There will not be further increases—in fact, there was never any increase: just a discount that has naturally expired.

Could they have kept the special pre-order price until 28th November? Yes, and I do not deny that it would have been nice, but they chose not to and they openly made their intentions known to the public.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited November 2012
    I just edited the error in the FAQs.

As has been mentioned, the pre-order discount was only in effect until the original release date (some time in September). Once the game got delayed, the deadline of the pre-order offer remained the same and wasn't extended.

Unless you pressed a button that said you were paying 17.99$ and got charged for 19.99$ (in which case you should contact Beamdog if you want a refund), you don't really have anything to complain about.
  • I have no doubt that the person in charge of pricing took adequate steps to cover the company's rear end including making announcements on the forums (and not on the tab I kept open with the link to pre-order), and that the $18 price may indeed have technically been a "discount" subject to change at any time.

My point here is ethical. I am not an unhappy customer demanding my money back. I am criticizing the decision itself to rescind the $18 pre-order price before the pre-ordering period ended. I do not care that the company covered itself legally, and I do not need to hear this repeated in the Webmasterese tongue, Tanthalas. In the future, I don't want to be Electronic Artsed by Overhaul/Beamdog again.

Sieur de La Cornbread
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I seem to recall paying $39.99 for the original Baldur's Gate when it was released. I paid $49.99 for BG2:Shadows of Amn and ToEE new. I still have the boxes with the prices on them. It's really hard to sympathize with whining about $2 for a remastered copy of a known 'great' game that is less than half the price originally. Pre-orders always give a discount, again... if you missed the pre-order... I have no sympathy. I am planning on paying the full price when released to support Overhaul. I like what I am seeing.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    What we've got here is a failure to communicate
  • ElofElof Member Posts: 42

My point here is ethical.

Why not just download the game for free out of spite?

I'm not sure you have the high ground you know.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited November 2012
    @SieurdeLaCornbread

Being snippy with me isn't really helping your point, I'm just stating things as they are.

The pre-order discount offer was only in effect until September after which it no longer was on offer. There was no "being Electronic Artsed" or any other derrogatory term you want to use.

You simply shouldn't have waited so long to pre-order. There's nothing else to say about this.

Post edited by Tanthalas on
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I fed the cat's this morning, had a light breakfast and even didn't spit into the face of my customer's at work. Beamdog sent me a promisory note for a shetland pony!

• MiahkaiMiahkai Member Posts: 32
    So out of curiosity did you just go based off what the price said or did you actually go through check out and see exactly what the price was? I only ask because I only managed to pre-order the game earlier this month (Nov 1st) and I still only got charged the 17.99 price not the 19.99. So I would perhaps suggest double checking just to be sure.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    You know I bet if Activision overnight decided to change the price of a soon to be released CoD game from $60 US to $62 US there would be almost no discernible difference in sales. Same with a high profile game from EA (the series they have not ruined). Point is, even if Beamdog should have updated the FAQ sooner on this it is really not a big deal.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

@Cuv

Does the kid die at the end of the movie?

Well, hopefully doesn't come back at last :D
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

I have no doubt that the person in charge of pricing took adequate steps to cover the company's rear end including making announcements on the forums (and not on the tab I kept open with the link to pre-order), and that the $18 price may indeed have technically been a "discount" subject to change at any time.

My point here is ethical. I am not an unhappy customer demanding my money back. I am criticizing the decision itself to rescind the $18 pre-order price before the pre-ordering period ended. I do not care that the company covered itself legally, and I do not need to hear this repeated in the Webmasterese tongue, Tanthalas. In the future, I don't want to be Electronic Artsed by Overhaul/Beamdog again.

Sieur de La Cornbread

No, man. The price for pre-order was not "subject to change at any time", but it was a limited offer until a set time that didn't change, ever.
    Brace yourself, In the future, you will see the same again. Pre-orders with a deadline is not "electronic artsing".
This discussion has been closed.