Skip to content

EE Keeper HLAs Help

I've decided to run through the full BG Trilogy for the first time. I've played BG2 innumerable times, but never played a single character through the lot of it. Figured this would also be a good time to try out the Enhanced Editions.

I decided I wanted to play a single-class Fighter of some sorts, focused on dealing damage. So Kensai seemed like a great fit. But I'm not a fan of the basic, unarmored avatar. I want armor. Scale/Chain, specifically. In BG2 I would just add Use Any Item and get around the restriction that way and figured I could just do the same here.

So I download EE Keeper. First hurdle. I can't find UAI. I google the issue and find that there are no HLAs in BG:EE. So I install a mod adding them. And voila, I can add UAI to my kensai.

So I load up my dude, go to the Innate tab and find... nothing. So I figure maybe I need to add Innate memorization slots? I seem to remember them mattering. I go ahead and do that. And... still nothing.

I'm kind of at my wits end here. This doesn't seem like a common issue, because I haven't found anyone with a similar issue. I'd appreciate if anyone has any advice on solutions to try.

And before someone comes crying "git gud, stop cheating and play a normal kensai," yes it is cheating, no it doesn't bother me, and besides mages would still be more powerful.

Comments

• DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    cant really help out with with the modding part , however maybe you like the "plain" thief or mage model more , EE keeper does that in a mouse click.

or maybe a modded Fighter2/Swashbuckler (there are a couple chainmails thief's can wear and still use thief skills!) you would lose out on your 1 Bonus attack from Fighter but the thief gets the +1dmg/hit progression and a crap ton of bonus AC. just something to think about.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited October 2017
    I am at work so can't post pictures, but in EEKeeper, go to the effects tab of your character, search for effect called something like "item: use any item", set it to "permanent/undispellable", target "self/imminent" and then there's a 1 in one of the slots to right IIRC. I don't remember the exact phrasings, but you'll understand the choices when you see them.

Once saved, your character will have the effect from UAI but without the actual HLA, so it works for BG1.

Sometimes it can disappear all of a sudden in the game. It's rare, but it happens. Don't know why or when, but then I just save and re-enter the above in Eekeeper and save again.

Edit: btw, you don't need any mods to any changes to the vanilla install to make this work
  • Greensleeve11Greensleeve11 Member Posts: 2
    That worked perfectly! Thank you.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Glad to be of assistance. And btw, welcome to the forums!