Skip to content

Suppressing the glowing (spell turning) shield effect

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
The Disable Visual Effects opcode (291) is handy for getting rid of the underfoot circle, that other reflective visual for something or other, but the chest-level mirror stays. Is there some trick to it? I'm using stat value 1 for 291 as the Guide says. Order of effects, intervals, special durations? I've got this list that I apply:

The disabling is right on the top, then the effects to apply, a little later the reflecting. The idea is for the target to feel the effects and then return the spell.

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    The graphic that displays every time it reflects a spell can be suppressed by using timing mode 2 for the various Spell Turning effects. This is only useful for passive equipped effect, or for single-use, instantaneous reflection. If it is used for instantaneous reflection, you just need to make sure whatever it is reflecting is enough to end the effect so that it does not linger.

You would still need to use opcode 291 to suppress the under-foot graphic.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    kjeron said:

If it is used for instantaneous reflection, you just need to make sure whatever it is reflecting is enough to end the effect so that it does not linger.

You mean adding a Delay/Permanent 1-second removal?

The only practical one is Spell Turning(200), you just set it to reflect a single spell level, so it expires from the spell itself.
    So the ability would look like this:
    Spell Turning(200), power=0, param1=1, param2=[1-9]
    (Effect[###]), power=[1-9], etc...

Just make sure the param2 of Spell Turning matches the Power level of all other effects.
    edited November 2017
    A good suggestion it seemed, but didn't work. For one thing, the spell got reflected by the spell-turning effect! I didn't want it to work, I just needed an animation squasher. The target instantly got the glowing disc underfoot, too, which wasn't even appearing before. The actual effects of the spell were delayed by a good second. And finally, the "spell expired" sound played.
    chimeric said:

For one thing, the spell got reflected by the spell-turning effect!

That's what I meant by an instantaneous reflection, to reflect the very spell applying it.
    chimeric said:

The actual effects of the spell were delayed by a good second.

Reflection always has a random delay. It can be between instant and a couple seconds.
    edited November 2017
    kjeron said:

Reflection always has a random delay. It can be between instant and a couple seconds.

Not with a lone Reflect effect. It takes a second at most. With spell-turning now, yes, that's long... And the expiration sound, no... I'm going to replace that mirror shield BAM in my mod with a blank and supply a version of Spell Turning that uses a lookalike BAM. Any reflecting effects, for anything, even for weapons, that people make are going to have to get rid of that shield, because it's a dead giveaway.