Skip to content

Linux version of the toolset?

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fot1fot1 Member Posts: 74
    I just want to bring to attention that while the share of Linux users might not be expressive, it probably is bigger when considering content creators, specially scripters. I don't have the data, but I suggest you guys to open a poll to see how people use the toolset.

But even as a Linux user, porting/rewriting the toolset for linux would be a lot of work and I would prefer this work force being used on another features. I think you guys should try a partnership with crossover. I would buy crossover if it give toolset support.
  • LuticusLuticus Member Posts: 6
    Personally for me, my only interest in NWN is the toolset. I have no interest in playing the game and want to specifically create mods; however, I run only Debian Linux systems and therefore the NWN toolset, as it stands, doesn't help me much. I'll buy 4 copies if the toolset gets supported though ;)
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    The Toolset already runs just fine with Wine without any tweaks. As mentioned earlier in this topic, a 'native' version would mean a complete rewrite, which right now doesn't seem very likely.
    Is the wine support official? Because one of the big problems I have with buying games/software with the intent to run on wine is what runs fine one day may not run fine another. The devs could push an update that completely breaks everything. Unless they are developing it with the intent that it'll work on wine as a "feature" it's too risky. This is a project I would love to support, as I absolutely bought BGEE and BG2EE but unfortunately I don't want to buy a bunch of copies for the whole family and then miss out on pretty much the only feature I care about.
  • WensleydaleWensleydale Member Posts: 1
    This might be a stupid question, but has Valve's new Proton compatibility layer available via SteamPlay made a difference to whether or not the toolset is likely to function in Linux? A lot of non-Linux games seem to be at least partially, if not completely, functional using this new tech. I just wondered if anyone had experimented yet.
    @Wensleydale As far as I understand, Proton is based on Wine, it should work similarly.
    @Luticus There are no official guarantees, but work was done to fix the compatibility issue it had at some point.
    @virusman That's at least somewhat reassuring. Do you know if the toolset can be installed separately from the game? In other words, would it be possible to run the game using the native Linux version and the tool set using the SteamPlay version?
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Luticus said:

@virusman That's at least somewhat reassuring. Do you know if the toolset can be installed separately from the game? In other words, would it be possible to run the game using the native Linux version and the tool set using the SteamPlay version?

I'm not sure how it is if you install it from steam or GOG, but with the beam dog updater, you get the binaries for all 3 OSes, so I have the win32 folder with the nwtoolset.exe in my linux install. It seemed like a good idea to wait for things to settle down before I get further into modding, so I haven't really played around with it. Just tried launching it with wine, and it launches and I can start creating a new module, but just get a black area with no tiles visible. Might just need some tweaking around with paths or something.
  • fot1fot1 Member Posts: 74
    I'm using ubuntu and I have the windows binary installed through steam:

$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Neverwinter Nights/bin/win32/nwtoolset.exe

I just use the system wine and it works fine opening it.

$ winetricks list-installed
    Using winetricks 20180217 - sha256sum: 1b156c616174f41df79d72a90c52eb2b110c63a6e8ecb865d303a8f9f0908924 with wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1) and WINEARCH=win32
    dotnet20
    dotnet30
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    I recommend using lutris or gamingonlinux to install the windows version steam to run the toolset, using the toolset with wine is a bit complicated, it has a lot of problems, I think I could even launch a new version of the toolset in qt5 but I find it very difficult, but I recommend using the two tool
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    for a more technical deepening of the tool and the use in linux I recommend Reading
    https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2256

A NWN Toolset (library / GUI) written in go
    https://github.com/elegos/nwn-toolset-go

https://github.com/nwnxee/unified

NWNSC - NWN Enhanced Edition Script Compiler
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/other/tool/nwnsc-nwn-enhanced-edition-script-compiler
  • Knight_ShieldKnight_Shield Member Posts: 51
    fot1 said:

I just want to bring to attention that while the share of Linux users might not be expressive, it probably is bigger when considering content creators, specially scripters. I don't have the data, but I suggest you guys to open a poll to see how people use the toolset.

But even as a Linux user, porting/rewriting the toolset for linux would be a lot of work and I would prefer this work force being used on another features. I think you guys should try a partnership with crossover. I would buy crossover if it give toolset support.

I prefer linux myself , but I see no need to even bother with this.