Skip to content

PC / MAC Multiplayer

A friend and I just purchased BG last week to play through it together in multiplayer, but he has a MAC and I have a PC. Both are recent hardware and operating systems. Having played NWN for years, I had hoped it would be similar and a fairly simple thing to accomplish, but so far, no love.

In an attempt to host, I began by opening the router ports suggested in the sticky (2300-2400, 6073, 47624).

When we tried to connect the differences in the MAC version of the game (v1.3.2053) and the PC version of the game (v2.3.67.3) became apparent. By sharing screenshots, we noticed that the multiplayer screens are very different and he sees a very different set of options. I was counting on using the Direct Connect option and providing my IP for him to go directly, but he doesn't have a Direct Connect option.

We also noted that he and I don't see the same set of available multiplayer games being served so it's unlikely he will be able to connect that way.

We tried the Virtual VPN as suggested on the sticky in the Multiplayer forums, but that didn't help either.

NWN doesn't have a Character Arbitration page, one player just starts a game and provides an IP for direct connection (the gamespy servers went down long ago) and players log in via Direct Connect. Should I be waiting for him in the Character Arbitration page or just go all the way in and wait? Do I need to populate more than one character in that page for a multiplayer game?

I think I could use some (more) detailed instructions on how to serve a game and definitely better instructions on how to client in from a MAC with completely different screens.

Thanks!

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hello
    Multiplayer requires the same version of the game to be used, trying to connect between different versions will not work. The Mac store is at version 1.3 while other stores have more recent updates.

If you have purchased on PC via Steam you can revert to v1.3 via the beta facility (right-click the game in the library, select properties -> betas then select the 1.3 option.

If you have purchased on PC via Beamdog you can contact support via the link at the top of this page and request a Steam key.

If you both have the same version, one of you would host and the other should be able to join from either the arbitration screen or within the game if you have listen to join requests enabled.

Work is underway on updating platforms to v2.5, there is a brief update in Octobers Beamblog and a bit more detail from September.