Skip to content

No erf folder?

I got the early doors version yesterday and found that the installer doesn't create the erf folder. The toolset however lets you import and export them. Oversight?

TR
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• dwinblooddwinblood Member Posts: 38
    I copied stuff for ERF into txpk and then created an erf folder just to be safe. I could PLAY the module.

However, the toolset has no clue how to find the hak packs which I copied into hk and I also created a hak folder and it still has no clue where the haks are.

That is my current challenge. I can get older modules I made to PLAY, but I can't actually open them in the toolset yet.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    hk is the wrong folder. You need to look in

C:\Users\User_Name\Documents\Neverwinter Nights

for the hak folder.

TR
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    OK, I won't swear on this, but I actually think that the original game didn't create an erf folder either - one had to manually create it. I think I had to do that when I installed the Diamond version about a year and a half ago, at least.
    So perhaps they can fix this (admittedly minor) oversight this time around.

TR
    fkirenicus
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    I mean, erf's don't serve a functional purpose, they are just hak-archive files renamed.
  • dwinblooddwinblood Member Posts: 38
    Yeah just create an ERF folder, it seemed to work for me.
    edited November 2017
    @Mordaedil Actually they're not. Encapsulated Resource Files are for transferring toolset user made stuff. Blueprints, uncompiled scripts etc. Haks on the other hand are mainly for 2da files, models, art assets and compiled scripts in other words stuff not made with the toolset. Neither of these file formats are archive files strictly speaking.

TR
  • meaglynmeaglyn Member Posts: 146
    They are all in the same archive format, which is usually called ERF. Modules too. So really a hak is just an ERF file with a .hak extension. The archive format is the same. What an .erf and a .hak file are used for is different but strictly as archive files they are interchangeable. There is only the one file format.
    TarotRedhanddTd
    Holds my hands up. I didn't know and was working on faulty information. I just verified that what you say is correct. I made a copy of an erf and changed its extension to hak. It opened with no problem in nwhak (which amazingly ran with no problems in win 10).

Mind you one difference remains and that is that to create a hak file (without manually altering the extension) you use nwhak and to create an erf file you use the toolset.

TR
  • meaglynmeaglyn Member Posts: 146
    Or one of the many tools that can pack and unpack erf format that is neither nwnhak or the toolset :)
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    By default, the toolset exports to the classic 1.69 erf folder (if you have one). Fortunately, it also imports from there.

Is that a bug?

Is there a way to make the toolset use an EE folder?

I'd like to keep classic and EE files segregated, at least until we're out of beta.
    I take it that you mean into the games reserved area and not the user area? If so you ought to report that as a bug definitely.

TR
    edited December 2017
    No, worse than that, it's looking in the legacy c:/NeverwinterNights folder that was created when I installed Bioware's original game from CD. I'll report a bug.
    Logged here, together with a related issue on the Script Set folder.
    TarotRedhandJuliusBorisov
    On the plus side that should be a pretty easy one to fix. Just hope they're not too focused on the game itself to get around to it.

TR
    Beamdog have submitted this to their internal tracker for investigation, so I'm hopeful.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Timmercado1975Timmercado1975 Member Posts: 8
    Has there been any movement on this?

I'm attempting to install the CEP 2.6 to NWN EE and I have NO idea where to install erf files? Can anyone tell me where to do this?

Sorry, this is my first post. I just got the game and I am TOTALLY excited to play this enhanced version, but this game putting everything into documents (and trying to sleuth out how to NOT have them there, but still be usable) is taking up most of my initial forum searching. So I do apologize if this has been answered previously; I'm searching these forums like mad right now, but for a separate issue.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Just put them in [MyDocuments]\Neverwinter Nights\erf, make the folder if it doesn't exist.
    Timmercado1975
    Ok, thank you very much.

That being considered, I've moved my game files from documents to the game install under data/data. So, I've made those changes to the .ini as suggested elsewhere on these forums. But there is no .ini line that shows where erfs are supposed to be. I'm assuming we just don't add an .ini line after we create the folder? And I'm assuming this because the client does not yet understand to look for them anywhere?

Thanks guys.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited May 2018

Has there been any movement on this?

It was fixed in the 8164 build.
    Timmercado1975
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387

Ok, thank you very much.

That being considered, I've moved my game files from documents to the game install under data/data. So, I've made those changes to the .ini as suggested elsewhere on these forums. But there is no .ini line that shows where erfs are supposed to be. I'm assuming we just don't add an .ini line after we create the folder? And I'm assuming this because the client does not yet understand to look for them anywhere?

Thanks guys.

Client doesn't care about .erf files. They are just for builders using the toolset. And I think toolset gets a file open dialog that allows you to navigate wherever. Having it within nwn/erf/ was just common practice, nothing mandates it.

Keep in mind that it is a Bad Idea to keep your user and game data joined like that. When the game updates, it will remove all your userdata. What you can do instead is something like:

nwn/
      hak/
      override/
      modules/
      ...etc.../
      _install/
        data/
        ovr/
        bin/
      nwn.ini
      nwnplayer.ini
    That way, the game updates will only affect files within the _install/ directory.
    squattingmonkTimmercado1975
    Okay, thanks everyone... Been years since I've even tried anything like this. I really do appreciate your comments and help :D