Skip to content

Any chance of adding a 5E option?

Hello,

I spent an insane amount of hours on this game back in the day, from playing the campaigns to playing on persistent worlds and even scripting for one. I really hope this game takes off again and revives some of the absolute best online playing experiences I ever had.

I currently have a very strong 2+ year PnP group playing and loving 5E. I have been very disappointed that no one has created a true 5E NWN/BG style game (SC legends was hugely disappointing). I am curious, given 5E's popularity and D&D resurgence in general, is it possible to implement 5E in NWN (as an option) in the future? Snd I guess the other question is, am I alone in this desire?

Comments

• MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    There aren't that many mechanical differences between 3.X and 5e D&D. If a little bit of hardcoding is removed it would be a feasible mod.

You could do it right now with enough hitting stuff with a wrench and NWNX.
  • UberKudzuUberKudzu Member Posts: 2
    I am excited by this prospect :)
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    edited November 2017
    5 is all well and good, but I would personally prefer 3.5 (like NWN 2). That's my favourite D&D ruleset. Understandable how Pathfinder became so popular because of it.

I would also guess that 3.5 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility given how similar it is to standard 3.

To be fair though, I have doubts that they will be doing this. The best course of action here may be to simply open up the ruleset to be more moddable so that the community can do it.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    I have been playing PnP 5E with a group of friends lately and I am just loving every second of it.

3.5E was too mechanics focused and, while mechanically you can do a lot more than in 5E, that aspect of roleplaying often feels lost due to the heavy emphasis on mechanics (rolling a d20 + a whole list of different skills with different allocation, not even Oghma can keep track of everything!)

5E simplifies a lot of the mechanics in a very good way, allowing players to focus more on roleplaying than stressing over the mechanics, all the while keeping some of the essences of 3.5E (ability score, for example. It's a great step-up from 2E system and I'm glad they kept those bonuses through and through)

Since NWN featured riding whereas NWN2 didn't, this is actually a great game to implement 5E rules provided some of the hardcoded stuffs can somehow be circumvented.
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    whatever changes implemented I hope it will be made with some thinking in advance.

NWN2 with all the expansions had SOO MANY classes \ feats \ skill and races. it took hours to make a build for yourself.
  • MalclaveMalclave Member Posts: 47
    I would have to wonder how much leeway BD has to change versions, even to 3.5.

Pure speculation, but I'm guessing WotC only licensed NWN to do 3.0 and that those terms still apply. If I'm right, going past that ruleset would require BD to negotiate a new license to make the core game 3.5 or higher.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    I hope Beamdog at least puts an “enable 5e” check box in the options and not have any code behind it.
    That would be sweet
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    5e has a lot of good ideas but one thing seems a bit off and problematic for NWN as well.

5e Fighters get multiple attacks per round and most other classes don't. The power bump Fighters get at levels 5, 11 and 20 is pretty crazy, especially at level 5 when you're suddenly twice as lethal. This is something 3e did better. Not only is the power bump with extra attacks in 3e more gradual but Rogues, Clerics and even Wizards get their extra attacks too.

A level 20 Rogue or Cleric with only one attack in NWN would look just as slow as a level 1 in combat.
  • BrastiasBrastias Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2017
    So my original thought when making this post was not to remove 3E but add in the ruleset to the toolset with perhaps an expansion module done in 5E.

It would certainly be much more familiar to the loads on new D&D players out there. Plus I think it fixes some of the sever balance issues (not perfectly of course). I love things like concentration spells and Advantage/Disadvantage plus the natural limit on stats (20 is max). It fixes a lot of classes like paladin and ranger that were dependent on having good scores in like 4 stats to get the full abilities (mostly because spell slots are fixed amounts and not based on stats anymore).

Sorry I rambled a bit there. Again I would not want the current campaing modules to be changed I was thinking more new content with ths ruleset implemented.

Though unlocking the ruleset code somehow to make it modifiable in the toolset would be great too.

5e has a lot of good ideas but one thing seems a bit off and problematic for NWN as well.

5e Fighters get multiple attacks per round and most other classes don't. The power bump Fighters get at levels 5, 11 and 20 is pretty crazy, especially at level 5 when you're suddenly twice as lethal. This is something 3e did better. Not only is the power bump with extra attacks in 3e more gradual but Rogues, Clerics and even Wizards get their extra attacks too.

A level 20 Rogue or Cleric with only one attack in NWN would look just as slow as a level 1 in combat.

Fighters in 5E are powerful short rest monsters in their own merit, whereas in 3.5E fighters felt more of a multiclass option for their weapon specialization before moving on to something else.

5E is meant to be played in turn-based and player's response to encounters rather than in real-time, hence only fighters get beyond 1 extra attack compared to the other classes.

In PnP sessions I've found that fighters hardly have fun interactions outside of battles unless you go out of your way multiclassing first level rogue and/or 2nd level knowledge cleric for tons of proficiencies and expertise in skills.

Like what @Brastias suggested, some of the awesome mechanics/changes from 5E can be incorporated into NWN's 3.5E system. The following list may not entail all the differences there are in between 3.5E and 5E, but I imagine the following 5 aspects of the current edition that NWN is running on can be updated.

1. Skills and proficiencies
    2. Prestige Classes -> Class archetypes/domains/oaths/colleges/etc..
    3. Short Rest (1hr), Long Rest (8hr), and Timed Cooldown
    4. Advantage/Disadvantage system
    5. Spells (Concentration and Components: Verbal, Somatic, Material)
  • TawmisTawmis Member Posts: 120
    I would love if there was a way to enable 5e.

I am one of those people that's played every version of D&D (I'm old...) and I was one of the few, mentally challenged, who loved THAC0. :D So when 3rd edition came out and we switched over - the primary reason I loved it, is a lot of our other players in our campaign really enjoyed it and felt like they understood the game better. 3.5 didn't "change" our game too much. And that was as far as I played with the group of folks who I played for, for many, many years. By the time 4th Edition came out, I was now playing with a new group of folks (mostly co-workers) - and I couldn't stand 4th Edition. It felt like WOTC was trying to make a P&P version of MMOs, with the way you can only use some skills/feats daily, or encounter, etc. Then 5th Edition came out, I was skeptical because of 4th Edition - but got involved in the beta testing - and was loving it! Now I own most of the books they've released for 5th Edition (just missing the Princes of the Apocalypse & Out of the Abyss)!

All that rambling said, I think Beamdog's primary goal is to just touch up some of the things in NWN, they probably wanted to touch up back in the Bioware days, and adding a 5th Edition rule set (even as an additional option) would require some extensive coding, and potential bug troubleshooting.
  • NinjamestariNinjamestari Member Posts: 18
    Please no, I'd rather keep 3.x
    In fact, I'd much rather have 3.0 than 3.5, for some reason 3.0 feels better to me, even though 3.5 has some improvements over it.
  • BrastiasBrastias Member Posts: 10

Please no, I'd rather keep 3.x
    In fact, I'd much rather have 3.0 than 3.5, for some reason 3.0 feels better to me, even though 3.5 has some improvements over it.

relax. No one is asking for the removal of 3.0 in this thread.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    zero chance

zero chance

Maybe not from BD themselves, but modders certainly can create a base module of some 5E rules incorporated into the current 3.5E rules for other modders to utilize in their campaigns.
  • TondenTonden Member Posts: 223
    edited July 2018
    I would love to see someone create haks and scripts to change everything that can be changed to make NWN1 play as much like 5e as it can be without having to use NWNX that is.

If anyone sees or knows of someone working on something like this please point me to them.

Thanks
    Post edited by Tonden on
    edited July 2018
    5e

- Slower Leveling
    - Armor Caped
    - Lower BAB - Keeps players from mowing through lower level mobs.
    - All classes don't get multiple attacks
    - SavesThrows - that allow players to still fail at higher level
    - Advantage and Disadvantage - Going away from really high Advantages so high level
    characters can still be challenged
    - Far less feats
    - Spells - the power of spells tweaked / weakened a little.

Changes like these help to keep players from blowing through content. Which allows for content that DM's/Creators create to be used longer, without have to keep buffing up encounters as much and/or pumping out new content to try and keep the game challenging for players. So I see all kinds of upsides to using 5e with computer games.

These are just some of the reasons I really hope someone makes some haks and scripts to run NWN1 like 5e.

If anyone is working or knows of someone who is working on creating 5e for NWN1 could you please point me to them.

Thanks for your time.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2018
    - Slower Leveling

Playing PnP, I find levelling is faster in 5e than it was in 3e.
    edited July 2018
    I can see why you may feel that way when playing PnP, because most PnP game dont last long enough to get to that high of a level. But if you look at the XP tables for both 3e and 5e? You will find that characters do level faster for the first 6 levels of 5e is faster but after that 5e starts taking more and more XP to level.

A 3e character needs 190,000 to be level 20

While a 5e character needs 355,000 to be level 20

There for a 5e character with 190,000xp would be level 16 and 5,000 from turning level 17. So when playing a NWN game where players level up to say level 40 it would take a lot longer to get there using 5e vs 3e.

• ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112
    I don't see how taking longer to get to level 20 and especially fights against low level creatures taking even longer than they already do equals more fun.
    Do you enjoy endless grinding that much?
    edited July 2018
    I don't enjoy beating/finishing a game I really like. I don't enjoy it when a game or movie I really like comes to an end.

D&D isn't meant for getting to max level.
    It is meant for RPing.
    It is meant to tell a story.

I never understood people who just wanted to level fast get all the best items and beat the game. There are all kinds of games out there for that. But that isn't what D&D was meant to be.

I don't have time for PnP D&D now days, which is why I really love what all can be done with NWN. So yes for me as an old PnP gamer I like slower leveling, I do not like becoming a supper hero. I want combat and a few levels and items. But no I don't want to rush to max level and beat a game I'm enjoying playing. Like I have said as an old PnP AD&D gamer (before 3e) it was about telling a story and you didn't have to be level 20, 15, or even level 7 to tell that story. Over time you would get a level here or there and find a few items. Players should be just enjoying the journey the DM or creator is taking them on.

To think about it we would play all night and only get 3 or so combat encounters in. While at the same time you can do that in less then 20 minute with NWN1. So I guess its all bout what your comparing it to, because its't far far faster then PnP

Shoot part of the reason why they came out with 5e was because they wanted to take out all the number crunching, all the many different choices, mid maxing, and just streamline the game so groups could focus more on the story.
    Post edited by Tonden on
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    You can already customize the XP required to levelup by modifying a 2da, if you're so inclined.

Different strokes for different folks, eh?

-Dave
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I think there are a lot of misconceptions about systems and how numbers in one system relates to another. As there are even misconceptions about 3e rules to this day by people who have used it for more than a decade.

Leveling in 5e by numbers is certainly not numerically comparable to 3e any more than 3e is comparable to 2e. There are also usually misconceptions floating around about ability scores, as 2e it was an exponential system and 3e was linear, while 5e is linear but the numbers are lower, however you get many more point allotments than 3e so your stats overall are much more powerful.

There are ways to break 5e which usually makes use of stacking different features to exceed limits of bounded accuracy on opposing rolls. Other strategies include repeated use of certain spells in every encounter to diminish the opposition.

Feats are also for example much more powerful. In 3e the toughness feat gives +3 hp (in NWN it's 1 hp per level) while in 5e the tough feat gives 2hp per level. Everyone gets more hp overall, recovers their hp quickly, death turns into a revolving door or wack-a-mole experience where allies go down and party uses long ranged bonus action healing to recover them.

It's interesting to discuss but at the same it's not at all that interesting to discuss too much.

What's needed to make a good 5e conversion is unhardcoding the character progression for feat gain and ability score gain.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    I checked 5e briefly and I don't understand this hype.

@Tonden You don't need 5e to make gaining experiences/levelling harder.

As for other features, 5e is very very simplified. I understand the tension for a PnP session where 3.5 could be a big nuisance with so many attributes and rolls, but all the rolling does game for us so this is not a problem. And for me the big variety of classes, spells, feats and combinations is what appeals me on NWN. (overstatement) If i would want to choose from 5 classes with no choice behind maybe except choosing a one of five skill trees/specializations then I wouldn't play NWN but WoW.

There are some good ideas in 5e but overally I don't see it suitable for NWN at all. Not just because of many hardcoded mechanisms that doesn't allow to implement 5e properly but also because of the general design and options we now have and 5e doesn't have such as epic levels and prestige classes. Sure one could just keep these options and maybe house-rule them in a way it somehow matches, but the end result will be ugly hybrid that won't be used by many.

And NWN:EE doesn't give as any feature which would help make alternative rulesets yet and won't give as alternative rulesets itself either. I don't understand this need to have alternative rulesets in core game anyway. Why? Why it must be part of the game? Why cannot you download alread existing fan content (at least in case of 3.5 rules) ?
    edited July 2018
    NWN is D&D and there were a lot of editions before 3e and there were no feats, prestige classes, or class jumping at different levels to get this or that. The mid/maxing was nothing like 3e. As someone who played D&D for years before 3e, I look at it as the supper hero edition and i do not like it.

There are a lot of little things I like about 5e over 3e
    - A lot lower BAB
    - Takes longer to get to level 20
    - Saving throws are set up in a way that even higher level characters have a nice chance to fail.
    - The advantage and disadvantage system isn't over powered.
    - A lot less Feats

There are others but you should get the point. 5e makes it so players aren't playing supper hero's and you can use lower level mobs against player longer without them just mowing through them.

If your a fan of what 3e did to the game then 3e is for you. However I liked it years before 3e so i like what 5e has done.
    Oh and @FreshLemonBun the long and short rests doesn't really apply to most NWN modules/servers where players can rest when ever or as much as they want because its a video game.

5e wanted to speed combat up for PnP
    - not needed for NWN
    5e wanted to turn down the player power gaming
    - This I like a lot
    5e wanted to make it take more XP to get to level 20 instead of a fast train to get there
    - I like
    5e wanted to make it so higher level players can't mow through lower level mobs like they can in 3e
    - I like
    5e wanted to make saveing throws and the advantage and disadvantage systems in a way to make content just a little more of a challenge then it is in 3e.
    - I like

Its really all about what you like/want out of a system.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    Tonden said:

There are a lot of little things I like about 5e over 3e
    - A lot lower BAB
    - Takes longer to get to level 20
    - Saving throws are set up in a way that even higher level characters have a nice chance to fail.
    - The advantage and disadvantage system isn't over powered.
    - A lot less Feats

And must it be 5e? What you want can be done easily in NWN. I can make "ultra limited and restricted ruleset" for NWN in 20 minutes. Limit and remove options is afterall much easier than to add new options.

- a lot lower BAB - not sure why someone consider swinging once per 6seconds enjoyable but if you want to do this, it is just a simple 2da edit that doesn't even need haks, nwn even allows to grant +0bab/level.
    - takes longer to get to lvl 20 - module related, has nothing to do with which rules nwn uses
    - saving throws - are fine until epic levels as saving throws and especially hostile abililities' DC was never designed with epic levels in mind.
    - a lotless feats - easy to do, just remove 90% feats there are, nwn client allows player to continue without selecting any feat if no feat is available so this is not an issue, you can leave just 3 feats available if you want or none.

imo, the 3.5 is quite balanced (don't confuse with rules under which operates NWN I mean 3.5srd) at least if you limit the level cap to 20. Those superman character are only possible due to the epic levels, lvl 40 cap, skill points saving (which is against 3.5rules) and homebrew nwn mechanics such as PM AC bonus, PM epic spells or homebrew bard song or oversimplified bonus stacking in nwn. Make your module restricted to lvl 20, which if you want 5e you would have to do anyway, and maybe restrict multiclassing (completely, dual class only or just monk/paladin) and you basically get the environment you want and you can call is pseudo 5e.

I am however sceptical about the interest from players... but since there was more peoples who wants 5e I guess it won't be problem, unless they misunderstood what is 5e about...
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    Modders yes. BD no. There are enough bugs and issues with NWN as it is for them to waste time completely overhauling a system most are perfectly happy with.
    edited July 2018
    I have already looked over the 2da's and there are a lot of changes that can be made using them. I have found things that can't be changed using 2da's because they are hard coded. So if i went about changing things and unable to changes others then I will not have 5e but something that doesn't work like 5e or 3e and it could be just a BIG mess.

If you like 3e good for you. I don't and never have and to be one hundred percent honest I never will.

That said I love what can be done with NWN1 which is why I have owned it since it first came out and why I bought all the expansion for both NWN1 and NWN2. Plus I have payed for NWN1 like 3 or 4 times now. I believe in supporting something you want to see do well.

All that said if they are asking what people would like to seen done for NWN-EE and some people would like to see 5e there is nothing wrong with them saying so. There are other things people are asking for that i think is pointless, but we all do not think alike.

Hard coded things is something the community cant really do anything about which is why those things should be to the for front.

Character models - community easy
    Tilesets - community easy
    New Campaigns - community easy

There are a lot of things being asked for that the community can do with out the help of BD.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    @Tonden As I said, it's an interesting discussion but at the same time not at all that interesting. For example the time it takes to level up isn't a 1 to 1 comparison between both systems and in either case NWN is much slower than both.

NWN doesn't even implement 3.0 rules properly so it doesn't seem interesting to discuss NWN vs 5e. If you concede NWN is the base design then alterations towards 5e wont have the expected effect of 3e to 5e, and might exacerbate some of the problems 5e has for example both bounded accuracy and hp glut.

As for advantage/disadvantage, it corresponds to average flat bonuses, the difference is the average roll goes up or goes down but you achieve the same thing as various minor circumstance bonuses and penalties.

It's not really a discussion worth having. It's like folding each slice of bread separately instead of putting one on top of the other and cutting it down the middle, it's still a sandwich. Like sure if it feels significant to ppl I guess that's fine.

@Shadooow It's actually possible to swing more often in a round than it first appears. If you google something like "5e most attacks per round" you can find some discussions detailing high amounts of attacks with some becoming absurd.

I've given it some thought before and the vast amount of work needed would be in removing content from the game. Prestige classes: gone, skills: gone, many spells: gone, many feats: gone. The races would be simple enough, so would the base classes. Slap a concentration mechanic on a bunch of spells, edit the values and effect details used in spell scripts. Reduce bab, reduce class bonus feats, make new feats.

Scripted systems would be needed for things like 5e proficiency rolls and to prevent a character exceeding the ability cap without magic, and magic item attunement.

As I've said before the main issue is you would probably need an NWNX system to remove hardcoded incremental ability bonuses and bonus feats after level up.