Skip to content

Any chance of adding a 5E option?

2»

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Graph depicting the level progression of a character by how many same level encounters they need to defeat in both 3e and 5e. Higher value means more encounters needed, i.e. less experience available relative to required experience to level up.

Matching or exceeding the progression in either case is dependent on both DM's designed encounters and the player's build/items. So it's pretty arbitrary and not considered. Like okay, make your adventure harder, or okay make your adventure easier, do what you like how you like it, but it's more personal preference than systematic.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    Tonden said:

I have already looked over the 2da's and there are a lot of changes that can be made using them. I have found things that can't be changed using 2da's because they are hard coded. So if i went about changing things and unable to changes others then I will not have 5e but something that doesn't work like 5e or 3e and it could be just a BIG mess.

Sounds like what NWN could be seen in eyes of 3.0 DnD rules lawyer :smiley: .

You need to be realist. You will never be able to fully translate DnD rules of any edition into CRPG like NWN. Some mechanics doesn't make a sense at all, some are inpractical, some are very annoying for players (for example, when playing DnD on paper the penalties to movement speed from armor aren't an issue, but in CRPG this mechanics, however justifiable is just annoying as hell) and some are impossible to do because of limitations of the engine (such as flying, jumping - and while jumping can be workarounded if you seen it in PRC you know it is just huge exploit).

If you want a game that translates 5e DnD rules perfectly you should probably make one, it won't happen in NWN even if BeamDog unhardcoded all feats which won't happen since the trello card with unhardcoding feats were moved to icebox, unfortunately.

As it stands now, NWN:EE is not a platform for ruleset modifications especially when you would want that ruleset make work in singleplayer. If you are proficient with NWNX (or you lure such expert into your team) and all you care about is your PW had this and nobody else, you might be able to make something close to 5e if you are willing to make compromises, use ugly workarounds and sacrifice player's comfort (ie. those new features won't be exactly user-friendly).

In other case your only choice is to build for patch 1.69 with nwncx_patch+nwnx_patch and neither that will allow you to do absolutely everything perfectly.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I disagree that NWN cannot or will not be a platform for ruleset modification. NWN2 didn't add too much in terms of what is possible, most of which can be done with NWNX in NWN, but the customization of GUI panels allowed people to create their own rule systems. I believe that if Beamdog comes through on GUI customization it will also be possible to spoof things like the level up process and hide what is really happening from the player.

Whether one rule system or the other is better is a matter of taste. While the expected results and even the promised experience of various implementations of other systems is not easily predictable and requires a lot more analysis.

It may also be that some players feel that if they play NWN they want to play NWN, not D&D, not 5e, and not the cpp, or any other system for that matter. That's fine too, those who like something will like it, those who don't wont like. I also believe that analyzing a system whether rules or otherwise and trying to implement it is a reward in itself, rewarding satisfaction and better understanding of how things work.
  • KranyumKranyum Member Posts: 33
    The problem with any game is that the player needs to know the rules of the game before playing it, or at least have a decent expectation on what he will encounter.

Adding different rulesets will confuse a lot of people
  • TondenTonden Member Posts: 223
    edited July 2018
    Kranyum said:

The problem with any game is that the player needs to know the rules of the game before playing it, or at least have a decent expectation on what he will encounter.

Adding different rulesets will confuse a lot of people

Well the module we are currently working on has

- No paladin class
    - No monk class
    - No Berserker class
    - No Prestige classes
    - No Wizards
    - No Sorcerers
    - No Gnomes
    - No Half-Orcs

New things that have been added

- Half-giants
    - Trikreens
    - Pterrans
    - Muls
    - Defilers
    - Preservers
    - Gladiators
    - Psionics
    - Templars

Now would/could that confuse a lot of people? When looking at NWN as NWN and not as D&D then our module might look like a totally different game.
    Post edited by Tonden on
    Well yeah it would confuse people. It's already confusing me, I have no idea what a pterran is or how psions are supposed to work...

Might be worth it but it's on you to make the player understand what's going on
  • TondenTonden Member Posts: 223
    Right that is my point. Our module is so different that the changes we have made would be more confusing to new players then changing game mechanic from 3e to 5e (in my opinion that is).
    Im not sure I follow your argument.

My point is that, allowing for multiple rulesets in the game is a very tricky thing from a game design perspective. To make it any way palatable to the mass market the devs should add significant development to support the dissemination of information from the mod maker to the player.

Simply put if each mod requires a separate tutorial, then they need to add resources for building those tutorials

It's not a trivial task.

I'm all up for giving module designers more power to their scripts but with great power comes greater responsibility.