Skip to content

An interview with Trent Oster about NWN:EE at pcgamesn.com

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,748
edited November 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
A fantastic interview with Trent Oster about the history of NWN and hints at plans for the future of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition.

Don't miss!

https://www.pcgamesn.com/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition/neverwinter-nights-modules

Comments

• Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    edited November 2017
    “We’re trying to tread really cautiously in terms of the features we move forward with,” Oster tells us. “Our mandate is, ‘Don’t break anything that exists. Only add, don’t subtract, or revise’.”

I'm not complaining at all about adding (even if I'm curious on how BD will add new 3d assets in the same NWN style, if planned at all), but why no revision, @TrentOster ?
  • sandronejmsandronejm Member Posts: 70
    Yeah, should be a good to revise somethings at least with a community pool request.
    They could do a poll and check for the most voted revisions positive and don't revise the negatives ones.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Revisions could break compatibility with older modules, possibly.
    Eventually necessary.
    What is eventually necessary?
  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59

Just to clarify, updating assets / artwork won't break anything - which is what most people want.
    When beamdog says it will break older modules, they mean it will break the aesthetics of the modules.

The only thing stopping it is $$$.
    Trinital said:

Just to clarify, updating assets / artwork won't break anything - which is what most people want.
    When beamdog says it will break older modules, they mean it will break the aesthetics of the modules.

The only thing stopping it is $$$.
    Uh huh. I'm sure they totally meant what you wrote and not what they actually said.
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155

I'd also quietly like to add that NWN's blocky old graphics are a big help for giving newbies the courage to try messing with them. I'd be somewhat sad about upgrading NWN to modern-day professional standards, just because it'd mean losing a 3d modeling "nursery room" of the world. I've benefited from it, and it'd make me very happy if others would have that opportunity in the future.

This is a very good point, and one that shouldn't be overlooked. The ability to create new models, tilesets, etc. and easily add them to the game is a huge part of NWN's appeal. It shouldn't be stifled by changing the fundamental systems to be overly complex, or by using third-party programs like Granny or their ilk. NWN has always been a gateway for many to learn modeling and texturing skills, and while I do obviously agree that the game can look better, I don't want to see those people locked out because of it.
    Ancarion said:

I'd also quietly like to add that NWN's blocky old graphics are a big help for giving newbies the courage to try messing with them. I'd be somewhat sad about upgrading NWN to modern-day professional standards, just because it'd mean losing a 3d modeling "nursery room" of the world. I've benefited from it, and it'd make me very happy if others would have that opportunity in the future.

This is a very good point, and one that shouldn't be overlooked. The ability to create new models, tilesets, etc. and easily add them to the game is a huge part of NWN's appeal. It shouldn't be stifled by changing the fundamental systems to be overly complex, or by using third-party programs like Granny or their ilk. NWN has always been a gateway for many to learn modeling and texturing skills, and while I do obviously agree that the game can look better, I don't want to see those people locked out because of it.
    I found adding new models immensely difficult.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited November 2017

Uh huh. I'm sure they totally meant what you wrote and not what they actually said.

I must admit I fail to see how updating e.g. an ogre model can break things - so long as the same resource names and file structures are kept.
    I had # x community models in my override folder in my NWN "heyday", and they never broke anything - not the OC, not SoU, not HotU, or any other mod for that matter.

I must admit I fail to see how updating e.g. an ogre model can break things - so long as the same resource names and file structures are kept.
    I had # x community models in my override folder in my NWN "heyday", and they never broke anything - not the OC, not SoU, not HotU, or any other mod for that matter.

IDK, ask Trent.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I remember how in the first livestream Trent pretty clearly worded it in a way that said " we don't want to break things for mods that have the aesthetics down juuuuust the way they want them".

Paraphrasing here, of course.
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    In game design terms, something can be considered broken if the increase in polycount and multiple models cause a crash of the client due to the increased complexity of the model.

This is something they usually handle through extensive testing and have certain constraints on what is considered acceptable.

I mean, you can just ask Thri-Kreen why he hates the guts of horses and trees, one of which I am pretty sure is a pure polygon problem.

Of course the problem with updating, say skeleton models is that it'd break the really cool skeleton model mod I use and that you shouldn't be playing NWN without. Ogre is just a bad example, because I don't think anyone made a "better ogre models" mod, but there you go.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited November 2017
    Mordaedil said:

Of course the problem with updating, say skeleton models is that it'd break the really cool skeleton model mod I use and that you shouldn't be playing NWN without. Ogre is just a bad example, because I don't think anyone made a "better ogre models" mod, but there you go.

Maybe. This one never caused any problems for me, at any rate (admittedly I've never tested it in neither EE nor DE - only the original disc versions).
    Though in retrospect I realize it was far closer to the 3.5 version than the 3.0.
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/ogre-override

• MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    Hah, so there is one. It's a pretty good example though, that'd be broken if NWNEE overwrote ogres
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited November 2017
    Mordaedil said:

Hah, so there is one. It's a pretty good example though, that'd be broken if NWNEE overwrote ogres

No it would not be broken because it is a hak that overwrites Ogres.

If the hak is used from that link it overwrites stock NWN Ogres. That is how haks work. Beamdog can change the Bioware Ogre and make it purple with a white hat. The hak will still overwrite that and work as designed.

If you like your Ogre to be purple with a white hat you do not use the hak.