Skip to content

How much will your new portrait pack cost? Neverwinter Nights: Heroes of Neverwinter

britishjbritishj Member Posts: 44
edited December 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
Hey, very excited for your enhanced edition, i saw you have a new portrait dlc in the steam store Neverwinter Nights: Heroes of Neverwinter, any idea how much this will cost? Also if you buy the enhanced adition from beamdog do you also get a steam key?

Cheers!

Comments

• Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    edited December 2017
    Well, with the incredible number of custom portraits available on the Vault (my Universal Portrait Collection alone contains 183 portraits), I'd assume a pack of 10 portraits, even of good quality, should be rather cheap. A dollar or two (that's pushing it) perhaps?
  • britishjbritishj Member Posts: 44
    Coming back to this after a few days it seems rather strange that a few portraits is considered too big a feature to be part of the enhanced edition?
    edited December 2017
    Welcome to 2017, the age of small DLCs here and there ;)
    I'm not very happy about it, to say the least, either, but I'll bite. I believe NWN:EE is going to be good, so I can stand a 10-portrait DLC pack not being included in the core game.

But let's wait and see how much it's going to cost - if it's like half a dollar, then I might even buy it. More than that, probably not.
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    It has a cool half-orc portrait. :)
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    Thing is with putting these portraits only in the Deluxe Edition, is that non-deluxe players won't see them. Seems pretty silly really, especially over a handful of portraits.
    This is the only game I've ever pre ordered so I believe its going to be great and will help make neverwinter nights last many many more years :) This isnt a feature of the enhanced adition though and should be considered paid dlc. Im fine with paid dlc however I would like to know the scope of what exactly will be in this enhanced edition of the game if a few new portraits are considered too big a feature for the enhanced edition.

Hopefully the devs will release a roadmap at some point.
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56

Thing is with putting these portraits only in the Deluxe Edition, is that non-deluxe players won't see them. Seems pretty silly really, especially over a handful of portraits.

There's really no good answer there.

Make them selectable to deluxe users, non-deluxe users can't see them. Make them available on both versions, but only deluxe users can select them and now the non-deluxe users can just apply a mod to make the portrait available anyway.

Portraits are not a good currency for NWN.
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    Mordaedil said:

Portraits are not a good currency for NWN.

This is true. Given the sheer amount of them already out there that are free to use it just seemed a little silly to release a pack like this as DLC - it should be included in the base game in my eyes.

DLC should ideally consist of modules, campaigns and stuff like that. I suppose given we don't know the price of the portrait DLC, this is a difficult one to quantify at present. However, if it's less than a quid then fair enough. It's not exactly a deal breaker (or maker) for people when they buy the game.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    If I were to hazard a guess, they probably wont sell the portrait pack separately and just include it in a 'deluxe upgrade pack' along with the modules not in the main edition.
    The pack is already available on steam as dlc under the name Neverwinter Nights: Heroes of Neverwinter. Still not sure how i feel about this being considered too big a feature to be part of the enhanced edition.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    britishj said:

The pack is already available on steam as dlc under the name Neverwinter Nights: Heroes of Neverwinter. Still not sure how i feel about this being considered too big a feature to be part of the enhanced edition.

Ah I see. Didn't check steam listing for ala carte dlcs. Will probably be $1.99 like the Baldur's Gate EE pack. Though I can't imagine why anyone would buy either portrait pack unless they were on mobile. Which NWN isn't. Its easy enough to make them for free.
    Hopefully they expand that to be a straight-up deluxe upgrade so people can play the other modules that deluxe owners get.

Portraits, while the art can be costly as a resource, are not that difficult to make to make it worthwhile charging for.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Maybe it has to do with paying an artist for their work instead of stealing it from the internet.
    Including this content as part of the enhanced addition in no way means not paying the artist. Its the same as paying the coders to code the new enhanced addition.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It is included in the Deluxe Edition.

Standard Edition = NWN:Diamond anything extra will be DLC.

It is up to the consumer to decide if the price the DLC is worth its contents.

Trawling through Deviant Art to find pictures to put in a downloadable mod without asking the artist or properly sourcing/crediting them is theft.
    Standard Edition != NWN:Diamond its not called the "Enhanced Edition" for nothing. The developers keep telling people everything is on the table for this edition of the game when their on the live streams which is why i purchased it and am giving feedback.

I agree with your point on stealing artwork though.
  • IndiraLightfootIndiraLightfoot Member Posts: 29
    fetito666 said:

It has a cool half-orc portrait. :)

Oh, do any of you guys have a link, so I get to check these upcoming portraits out?

• rammurrammur Member Posts: 11
    you know its how they make their money they draw portraits yeah they gonna want a few bucks not sure what world people live it but its labor and it work so yeah they gonna need mula.
  • IndiraLightfootIndiraLightfoot Member Posts: 29
    I really dig that CN halfling, and also that brown-bearded dwarf (I presume) (Hidden by the logo in pic 1). But what is the dwarf holding? A spiked mace?
    I understand they need to make money but that's why their enhancing this edition and re-selling the game as the "Enhanced Edition" and being re-sold under that premise i was thinking a few extra portraits could be included as part of the enhancement in this version. Instead its listed as too big a feature to be included in the enhanced edition.

I'll be happy when the dev's give us a roadmap as right now their incredibly vague with what they want to do with this version by saying "Everything's on the table" but confirming nothing.

Basically i want to know the general scope of what the developers have in mind for this version of the game :)
    What makes paid portraits even less worth it is the fact that no one except for the ones who paid for them will be able to see them.
    Unless, of course, Beamdog allows whole portraits to be stored in character files and not just their names (which I suggested in another thread, by the way).
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited December 2017
    The only way for standard users to see the portraits as well is to include the portraits in the standard edition too. But you know someone will make a modified portraits.2da so standard users can use them, just like with using a modified portraits.2da to select NPC and monster portraits.

No getting around that. It should just be for free.
    Flashburn said:

The only way for standard users to see the portraits as well is to include the portraits in the standard edition too. But you know someone will make a modified portraits.2da so standard users can use them, just like with using a modified portraits.2da to select NPC and monster portraits.

No getting around that. It should just be for free.

Well, to be frank, there's no way to avoid these portraits being used illegally even without 2da tricks. Even if Beamdog DRMs them in the most cunning way, one can literally take a screenshot of two of them from their Steam page right now and convert them to portraits. They'd be of lower quality, but I don't think people would care that much given how small they are anyway in-game.

The only move that would make pirating portraits not (as) trivial is removing the "ConvertPortrait" command in NWN:EE, but I think we all agree no one would want that.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Art is not free nor should it be treated as such.

However, portrait packs are a dime a dozen on the vault. Portraits are free and easy to make on your own and the early access of the EE is very much aimed at nostalgic vets and current content creators so unless the portraits are to sweeten the DD pot or contribute to charity then Im just confused as to what market they are aimed at.
    I never used the ConvertPortrait command because I made a better macro for it in Photoshop.

Artists already work for a really petty dime and it's really hard to get recognition, so I do sympathize, but again... It's really hard to put a price for NWN portraits.