Skip to content

New Infinity Engine Game?

This question is To the Devs at Beamdog. I Know there will be no answers on any Projects or Upcoming announcements but as a HUGE Fan of the Infinity Engine Games( BG2EE, IWDEE ect...) is it Possible to create a new game with the Engine? And if so Why not create a whole new Game since All the EE'S are still at this point being updated and there is still lots of interest in the Infinity Engine Games???? At the very least is there even Discussion on a new game with the Infinity Engine????

Comments

• AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) Hasbro will not allow new games to be produced with previous edtions of the D&D rule set. That's why Siege of Dragonspear was done as an expansion to BG1 instead of a stand-alone game. In which case, it seems highly unlikely that a new Infinity Engine game will ever be produced.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Unless Beamdog un-hardcodes EVERYTHING, I don't really want to see a new game with the IE. There are just far too many limitations that make modding a lot of things impossible. I'd rather see a new, fully moddable engine.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    There are better engines.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Short Answer: No.

I am still holding out for another expansion (hopefully for BG2) but a brand new game won't happen.

• unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited December 2017
    ToB is badly in need of expansion for sure. Maybe explain how come everyone hasn't taken thier highly magical +3 everything and conquered the whole land. Maybe give a bit more character to the five who from all anyone can tell are just trying to dominate the world for giggles.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Andraste said:

As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) Hasbro will not allow new games to be produced with previous edtions of the D&D rule set. That's why Siege of Dragonspear was done as an expansion to BG1 instead of a stand-alone game. In which case, it seems highly unlikely that a new Infinity Engine game will ever be produced.

Yes, this was explained when SoD was announced. It would have solved a lot of problems if SoD could have been released as a stand-alone game rather than an expansion pack, not least the iOS port.

But, to @thrudd, what exactly do you mean by an "infinity engine" game? Do you actually mean using the D&D licence and 2nd edition rules? As has been pointed out, that is simply not possible. Would 5th edition rules be acceptable? That might be possible, but it would probably be easier to make it using a modern engine than trying to use the Infinity Engine, which is, frankly, a mess. Would an unlicensed game with it's own rules be acceptable? Because there is at least one of those in development right now (Deadfire).