Skip to content

Mod suggestion for you modders

MasterteoMasterteo Member Posts: 111
Hi,
i would like to suggest you all what i think could be a useful mod.

After many, many gameplays, the whole " spellhold + underdark " scenario gets boring. Plus, it is also long!

So, i was thinking if it could be possible to do a " skipping mod " that could work like this :

1- you complete all Aran Linvail quests. You sail for the island and the screen goes black. Usually now you found yourself on the island, searching a way to enter in spellhold. But with this mod instead...

2- ...you suddenly found yourself outside of Underdark, and start the cutscene of elves that arrest you and brings you to the guy that ask you to find the Lanthorn.

3- In order to avoid bugs, the way to the underdark should be closed permanently. Diary gets properly updated as if you found the eggs and made your way to the surface

4- All your characters get a " X " value of experience point, more or less what you could have earned without this " skipping mod ".

5- A few selected items appear in your inventory. The modder is the one that choose, obviously, but these items could be Gauntlet of crushing, Doomplate, etc ec... , in short some nice items that you cannot find anymore and can make people angry if you don't give these items to them.

( for example, if charname is a monk, he will be mad if this mod forbids him to find the precious gauntlets).

--------------------------

So, what do you think about this idea ?

Is there anyone willing to give this a try and see what kind of mod could be created ?

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited December 2017
    Technically speaking - such a mod would be trivial to do. It follows the tradition of Skip Candlekeep and Skip Chateau Irenicus and Skip Dragonspear and Skip this-and-that...

Don't forget to move Imoen to the exit area, all that earlier fuss to get there was about rescuing her, if I remember correctly.

Story-wise, it just breaks the game. What is your motivation to pursue Irenicus or Bodhi? Did he steal your soul and all while the screen was dark? Who is that guy anyway - or is all of that told in a book-long journal entry?

The mod would be incompatible with about 40% of all other mods as it breaks them and removes their Spellhold/Underdark contents.

Why not just start your game in ToB right away?

Anyway, it would be a mod and as such, it'll be optional to use.
    I prefer those mods that add to those parts of the game that you seem tp know by heart and that surprise and entertain you with new ideas. I never used a single mod that removes stuff from the game.
  • MasterteoMasterteo Member Posts: 111
    edited December 2017
    You are right, i agree with your points.

But, " Spellhold + Underdark " became fast really boring to me because of the following reasons :

1- Game is linear, and so in my opinion extremely boring.

You are on the island, you can only enter Spellhold. In spellhold you can only go to the maze, then there is the fish city and then Underdark. And this linear games last for hours of gameplay !

See where i'm going ? After the first 5 gameplays, i really got fed up with this linear path foced by plot.

In the rest of the game, you are free. I can start the game and choose what will i do. Will i start my story freeing the slaves in Slum district ? Will i go instead to aid Nalia ? Will i go to Trdemeet ?

And so on. Lot's of choices and places to visit in the order you desire.

2- " Spellhold + Underdark " stop romances until you escape from underdark. Or worse, there are romances that can't go further a certain love line because the requiment is having escaped from Underdark.

Especially with romanceable mod characters. This is frustrating, because if you want to romance a npc you can't take your time. You have to rush your gameplay and clear Underdark, else you will find with a romance stuck because further lovelines --> require your escape from underdark.

you say :

Story-wise, it just breaks the game. What is your motivation to pursue Irenicus or Bodhi? Did he steal your soul and all while the screen was dark? Who is that guy anyway - or is all of that told in a book-long journal entry?

Well, after countless gameplays it can be allowed. You have done so much time the game that you don't feel bad if sometimes you avoid a long and linear piece of the game.