Skip to content

Help with multiplayer

Hi:

I'm not sure whether this is the right place for this.

One of the reasons I am most excited for NWN EE is to play NWN multiplayer with my son who I've told so many stories about the Neverwinter Nights from my pre-kids gaming days. My plan was for us to play over LAN. He's ten and is already planning his character.

I purchased the pre-order, downloaded the Enhanced Edition, but I have no idea how to run a multiplayer game anymore :-(

Would it be possible for someone to post a walkthrough for hosting and connecting to a LAN game on MacOS? I can't tell you how much that would be appreciated as I really looking forward to surprising him with NWN for Christmas!

The couple of times I tried to click host new internet/lan game, the game hung saying it could not connect to server. Since I could not alt-tab out of Neverwinter Nights, I had to shut down my computer. I have no firewall running on my Mac.

If this is not the right place for this, sorry. Please direct me to the right place.

Thank you!

Comments

• superfly2000superfly2000 Member Posts: 76
    Not completely sure it would help but you could try this informative site: http://www.neverwinternights.info/
  • superfly2000superfly2000 Member Posts: 76
    Hmm...after reading it I realised it perhaps doesnt give so much information for you. But really, I think its pretty straight forward. You just set up one of the computers as a "host" and then have the other client connect and thats about it...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Check How do I play multiplayer? in https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq#38
  • silverbellosilverbello Member Posts: 16
    Thank you both for your replies.

I will follow these instructions when next at my computers and report back.

As I recall, the problem I was having was after the step "On having all options set as is desirable, click the module / chapter name, or the 'load' button." I would be prompted for a player name, enter in a name, get a message that player was not found and server was not found.

I'm doing this from memory, so I will follow these steps and see if I can replicate the issue.

Thank you again!
    JuliusBorisov
    Finally got to test this out.

After an update, the problem I had creating a new internet/LAN game on Computer A went away. I was able to load a new game into the server.

When I tried to connect from Computer B, it looked like I was able to connect, but then I got a message that my "CD key was already in use." I take it that's because I was using the same Beamdog account on both computers? Regardless, this seems like a good sign, no?

The only way to know for certain that all was working would be to buy another copy under a different account?

Thanks for your help!
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Yes, in order to connect from the second Computer you will have to buy the second copy (not sure you want to do that).
    Hi Julius:

I finally got around to purchasing an additional copy for my son. When he goes to connect to my server instance, the message he gets is "Connection Error: The server has refused your name." This happens regardless of what name he enters.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help.
    Edit to above post: The actual error is "Your Player Name Has Been Refused By The Server." And I noticed that if I try to start a new Internet/Lan game from his computer, I get the same error. At that point the game locks up on "Loading Module" and I need to force quit it.

So, in summary: Able to load new game into server on my machine, but unable to connect to that game from his or start server game from his because of name rejection.
  • FangirlFangirl Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm currently having an issue when I log into a server. I get error code 1 or a message that says "sorry we have crashed hard".
    Again, tagging @niv here
    Has anyone else encountered this issue with being rejected from a server for player name?

I know it's late and the EE is in beta and I should have tested this out earlier, but just wondering if anyone else has encountered this and, if so, has anyone found a workaround?

Was hoping to play multiplayer with my son over Christmas. But I understand that we're still in beta so maybe it's not possible. Just hoping for some insight or possibly the NWN version of Miracle on 34th Street.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited December 2017
    Have you tried loading up your module through the server program(it should be in the same folder as the game starting program)? Just password the server and you will not be bugged. If you both on the internet you should be able to play the module together. Network games are having some problems, from the last patch. Another option is to try a person here hosting a server and only giving you two the password and you playing the module on their server game.
    These are good suggestions. Thank you!

I will give them a try. I had been trying to direct connect, but if I understand you correctly, you're suggesting to host the game on the internet so it will be listed and connecting that way with a password.

I need to forward port 5121 on the router to my machine, right?

The Mac version doesn't have a GUI version of the server, right?

I'll give this a try and report back.

Thanks!

Still having no luck. :-(

I've forwarded port 5121 to my machine from my router. I've tried loading a module both through the dedicated server program and through the game, but either way, the server does not appear on the list of servers available. I've checked "post to internet." Tried this on both MacBooks.

Not sure what to try next. I've been trying this with two Macs. My hope is that this is a Mac-specific problem and maybe my son's new laptop, which is a windows machine that he will receive for Christmas tonight, will be able to host a server to which I can connect from my MacBook.

Holding out hope.
  • GarenRunebladeGarenRuneblade Member Posts: 13
    I'm not sure about file setups for Mac's, but for the windows computer, once the EE is installed, go to C:\Documents\Neverwinter Nights and find the NWNplayer.ini file in the root directory make a backup copy (just in case :) ) open it with notepad, scroll down to History or Favorites find the first blank server line and edit in 127.0.0.1:5121 (every Windows computer's Home Machine number for NWN Lan games)...the entry should look like this: Server0=127.0.0.1:5121(assuming no listings are showing)...save the file. After loading what ever mod you want to play into NWserver, when you launch the EE and select multiplayer go to favorites. It should show up highlighted in blue and hopefully you can join and play. I played Lan games before the update that broke Lan direct connect, but you can connect just as well if its showing in your History or Favorites listings. Maybe let the Windows Computer host. I hope you get to join and play:).
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Ports Required for Neverwinter Nights

The network ports that need to be forwarded for Neverwinter Nights are as follows:

Neverwinter Nights - PC

TCP:
    UDP: 5120-5300,6500,6667,27900,28900

Thank you all for your help. Son was over-the-moon excited about laptop which he got tonight. We will install NWN tomorrow and try these steps. Fingers crossed! I'll report back.

Happy Holidays and thanks again!
    Well...we never got as far as multiplayer. After installing the head start on his new Windows computer, we repeatedly got a message:

"The Beamdog Client encountered an error trying to run Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition (English - Head Start). Please contact Beamdog Support and mention exit code: 3221225781."

Any thoughts to what that might refer?

Don't they say that the journey is half the fun or some such? :-)

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
    Thank you, Shandaxx.

The option to Verify Game under English (no Head Start) didn't do anything. There was an option to install the no-Head-Start version. Do I need to install the no-Head-Start version in addition to the Head Start version?

I was able to Verify Game for the Head Start version.

Thanks.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
    An update: I was able to get Neverwinter Nights to run on my son's new Windows laptop after manually installing OpenAL per the instructions linked above.

But I am back to the problem of connecting to the server. Even after running the standalone server on my son's Windows laptop, he cannot connect to it. The error is again that the server is refusing his name. It doesn't matter what name I enter. It doesn't matter which of our laptops run the server.

Anyone have any thoughts on a next step?

Still holding out hope for NWN in 2018!

Happy New Year!
    Someone on the General Discussions board had the same problem, suggestion was to post a ticket with Beamdog Bug report. At this point, the only way you may be able to multiplay is (like someone suggested earlier) start a new multiplayer game from the main menu (without using NWserver),in the options select post game to internet, password protect it,for the second computer, select direct connect and type in the host computer's IP number. If you don't know the host computer's IP number, run the NWserver look in the upper right corner it will be listed,then close the server. Since it's no longer a LAN game maybe this will get you around the LAN connection bug.
    I will post a ticket and try to connect over the internet.

A couple of questions:

(1) Do I need to forward ports on the hosting computer?

(2) When I use direct connect, do I use the local IP address or our external IP address?

Thank you.

I know zero about port forwarding, sorry. Since it will be posted to the internet, it should show in the password protected click on it to see if it lets you connect. If not click server details and enter the IP address it shows in Direct connect mode.
    I posted this as a bug report: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34791

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'll let you know if we ever get in game together!
    JuliusBorisov