Skip to content

Toolset crashes upon area load

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what is going on with my EE toolset.
Everything works fine, but as soon as I open an area within the toolset the application hangs and then crashes.
Even Windows itself isn't able to tell me exactly why it crashes.

I'm running Windows 10 x64 with an i7 7700K and GTX1080 running on the latest NVidia drivers.

So far the following changes have made no difference:

*Running as admin
*Changing the setting in the toolset that says "Render at same graphics as game"
*Turning off Geforce Experience/Overlay

The odd thing is, the game itself is running just fine. Even the toolset of the old "Diamond Edition" from GOG is running normal so I'm not sure what is going on anymore.

Am I the only person in the world having this problem right now? :p

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
  • DaviiDavii Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2017
    Hi Julius,

Thank you for the link, however disabling both and only one of them resulted in the same application crash.
    Here is what Windows Error Log is reporting in case it might be somewhat helpful:

Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    System>
    Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    EventID Qualifiers="0">1002
    Level>2
    Task>101
    Keywords>0x80000000000000
    TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-12-14T15:35:13.345988200Z" />
    EventRecordID>645
    Channel>Application
    Computer>DESKTOP
    Security />
    /System>
    EventData>
    Data>nwtoolset.exe
    Data>1.4.2.6
    Data>3068
    Data>01d374f0b5ca0339
    Data>4
    Data>D:\BD\00829\bin\win32\nwtoolset.exe
    Data>b2d2a7c8-e480-4e73-be5b-42fc20d6d5f0
    Data />
    Data />
    Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000
    EventData>
    Event>
    //
  • GorgonGorgon Member Posts: 22
    The only Nvidia card I have is a pretty old one that uses older drivers, so this might not help, but it had the same problem with EE opening areas in the toolset.

In the Nvidia control panel, I had to set "Threaded optimization" for it to "Off" to make it work. 1.69 worked fine with it on and even at auto, but the EE toolset would crash trying to open many areas, even on auto.

If the latest drivers have a similar setting, give that a try?
    DaviiJuliusBorisov
  • DaviiDavii Member Posts: 3
    Gorgon said:

The only Nvidia card I have is a pretty old one that uses older drivers, so this might not help, but it had the same problem with EE opening areas in the toolset.

In the Nvidia control panel, I had to set "Threaded optimization" for it to "Off" to make it work. 1.69 worked fine with it on and even at auto, but the EE toolset would crash trying to open many areas, even on auto.

If the latest drivers have a similar setting, give that a try?

Gorgon, you saint!
    That totally worked! Thank you so much! Back to building (and breaking) :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • Dethangels_ShadowDethangels_Shadow Member Posts: 10
    Having a similar issue with the toolset, except I'm getting an Access violation:

Once that error happens, I'm stuck in an endless loop of the error message. I tried all of the things suggested in this and the other mentioned thread. It doesn't happen until actually trying to load an area.

My hardware is a little different - HP Pavilion Laptop, Intel Core i3 w/ Intel HD 3000 graphics, 12Gb of memory. This appears to be isolated to the toolset, as the game loads fine (other than it not finding my CD key.) I tried turning off the aforementioned options, ran as admin, tried compatibility mode to previous versions of Windows (8, 7, even XP.)
    Any other ideas?
    Dorrian
    Still getting Access violation after updating to latest build. :(
    So, I pulled my desktop out of mothballs... it's been sitting for 10 months (ahh..how I've missed it!) Pulled down the Beamdog client and installed NWN:EE... the toolset works fine (still had to manually install the OpenAL on a fresh install.)

I tried updating the build on the laptop as well, no such luck. I'm thinking it has to do with the video hardware. Unfortunately, there are no more recent updates for the Intel video drivers than what Windows 10 had already.

I know they were wanting to test all sorts of hardware. Should I submit a bug report for this toolset issue? I'd be happy to keep testing on my laptop as well as my desktop, if it would be beneficial.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713

I know they were wanting to test all sorts of hardware. Should I submit a bug report for this toolset issue? I'd be happy to keep testing on my laptop as well as my desktop, if it would be beneficial.

Please, do! :)
  • T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    I just upgraded to a fresh install of win 10x64bit and having this issue as well. My laptop hardware is i5-2410M CPU, intel HD Graphics 3000. It crashes when I hit go to start location and the area starts to load with an access location error 0000000000. Then I have to task manager/end process to close toolset.
    I'm on EE-8156.

• virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    Same here, I'm on Macbook Pro 2016 with integrated Intel graphics. Apparently, the Toolset renderer is broken on integrated Intel GPUs.
    I know it worked before I upgraded to win 10 because I had opened some modules in EE and fiddled.. I remember this because I then couldn't open the same module in 1.69 (due to versions). Luckily I had a backup before I opened in EE.
    #virusman , While I can play EE with intel HD3000, weirdly enough, none of my placeables have shadows. I even opened up "Heir is Human" with 1.69 toolset- added stock placeables-opened module with EE- no shadows on said placeable. Tileset shadows seem to work fine tho. Wondering if this is an intergrated graphics issue also ...
    After further testing, shadows work if placeable is set to static. I was told that this might have been an issue in 1.69.
    ( My 1.69 does not have this issue and shadows are correct regardless if static or not)
  • DorrianDorrian Member Posts: 15
    Im getting endless access violations too.
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    edited May 2018
    Dorrian said:

This particular issue has long been fixed now. If you’re still getting access violations on recent builds, please file a bug report on Redmine. If it only crashes in a particular module/area, make sure you attach that module to the report.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BeaverMageBeaverMage Member Posts: 20
    I'm able to log into the map editor just fine however when i try to view an area I get the message

"Access violation at address 63A7D4C3 in module 'nvoglv32.dll'. Read of address 00000000"

If I click ok enough times this message will then change to

"Access violation at address 6330DA77 in module 'nvoglv32.dll'. Read of address 00000004."

If I continue clicking ok eventually it will cylcle through to the first message but no matter how many times you click ok the error message will continue to pop up.

I uninstalled the game then reinstalled. The same problem happened so I went ahead and copied and pasted the module I had been working on into a new folder and deleted it from the game's folder thinking maybe there was something wrong with the module.

The same problem happened so I went ahead and uninstalled then reinstalled again just to be sure. There were no modules in my folder that didn't come with the game and still I get the same error.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    nvoglv32.dll is NVidia's OpenGL driver. Check to make sure your NVidia graphic card is running the most up-to-date WHQL driver. You can also just download the most recent OpenGL driver for your OS/graphic card https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver

As a long shot, if you happen to have installed Duet Display (lets you use your iPad as an extra monitor through USB), uninstall it. Duet Display uses a display driver (OSBASE idisplay) which causes a conflict with the OpenGL driver, generating a failed OpenGL context during glDrawArrays or glDrawElements.
  • BeaverMageBeaverMage Member Posts: 20
    Thanks, I went ahead and updated my driver though I appear to still be having the same problem. Additionally I don't have duet display.
    @BeaverMage
    virusman said:

Dorrian said:

This particular issue has long been fixed now. If you’re still getting access violations on recent builds, please file a bug report on Redmine. If it only crashes in a particular module/area, make sure you attach that module to the report.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085

Thanks, I went ahead and updated my driver though I appear to still be having the same problem. Additionally I don't have duet display.

What NVidia graphic card are you using?
  • bf3bf3 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem listed at the top of this thread--toolset crashes once an area loads. Every forum has the same advice for NVidia graphics, but I have an Intel Graphics Card, and I can't find anywhere that people talk about how to resolve this issue on an intel card. Has anyone found any solutions there?