Skip to content

Help me find out what game I am looking for.

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
For years now I have been having these really vague flashback of a game that I played when I was reeeaally young (like four years old, maybe). I have no idea what game that might be and I have been asking around my family members, they are not sure what I am refering to either. Maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me and I am having false/mixed up memories. Alas, I am intend to find out!

So here are some things I believe to remember about this game:
- Western Setting
- You played as a young man, maybe even a teenager. I think he was basically Guybrush in the Wild West.
- There was a scene with a draisine (take this one with a grain of salt, cause I also played Hugo a lot when I was little, where you also have draisines, so this may be a mix up)
- There was a MacGuffin in the form of a ruby inside a skull's eye, or maybe it where multiple skulls. I definetly remember there being skulls tho.
- There was an important scene (or maybe the final showdown even) that took place in form of a chase through a desert ravine. Might have been on horseback.
- The game was pretty dark. People dying and stuff. I think the game even ends with most of the characters dying, but not sure. They may even have been blood.

I am reasonably sure the game is not Outlaws by LucasArts (as my family members suggested), but I only watched trailers of that at this point and there is just so much I can get from those. The imagery in them didn't ring any bells tho.

The game must have come out in the early to mid 90s and ran on some form of PC but I couldn't say if it was still DOS or already Windows, definetly not a console game.

So, uh, maybe this rings a bell among the older gamers among you.
Or maybe I am just imagining things.
I hope it's the former :tongue:

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Hmmmm. Maybe take a look at some of the old Indiana Jones point and click games? A desert setting is common, and a pixilated fedora looks a lot like a cowboy hat.
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    Not that it's entirely that helpful, but Wikipedia does have a handy list of Western-related Video games you can sort by date.
    List of Western video games

It's been a long while, but two western games I remember from the 90's that stand out for not being straight-up arcade shooters are:
    Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist (1993)

Silverload (1996)

Freddy Pharkas definitely meets the "Guybrush in the Wild West" criteria. But Silverload has skulls and other grimdark things. Though, it does have werewolves and the occasional first-person shooter segment, so i'm not sure if you remember that as well.
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2017
    I found an article in wikipedia "Category:1990 video games" and it lets you check games published each year till 1999
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1990_video_games
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @ThacoBell I know for a fact it's not Indiana Jones, but good guess ;)

@taclane I highly doubt it was Freddy Pharkas, that game looks way to cutesy and cheery for what I remember. It does look like the type of game I would have really enjoyed as a kid tho. Nothing from Silverload rings a bell at first glance, but that game looks interesting in general, may play this anyway >.>
    I'll definetly look through that list tho, thanks!

@dreamtraveler That is a very handy list, thank you.
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    @Buttercheese Cheers!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    This thread made me watch a longplay of old Alone in the Dark 3, so kudos. Remember that game from watching my older brother and his friend playing it back when I didn't have a comp of my own. Other than that, unfortunately I cannot add anything of value to your search since it seems it wasn't this game (which I had intended to suggest but after watching the longplay now realize it doesn't fit your memories).