Skip to content

GTX 1060 and NWN EE Problems

The game is running fine, but in Certain areas (caverns) it starts to get Very Laggy. It will eventually freeze, and then the issue will start to even make it freeze when "reloading" the game.

So when it freezes in the caverns, I "End Task" and reload the game. It will freeze reloading.

If I wait a while it will start up normal, and if I can get the character out of the caverns will play fine.

I have another PC playing the game on a 1080 with no issues so far.

Anyone know of a fix?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2017
    Do you know which caverns?

In any case I would go onto Nvidia's website/start Geforce Experience and make sure you are running with the latest video card drivers.
  • QuilistanQuilistan Member Posts: 177
    Thanks for the input. I did check drivers, and updated everything. Still having the issue.

The nice thing is I have several computers all different set ups at my disposal with the game installed, so we got to rule out a lot of things pretty fast.

I got sometime last night to start trouble shooting more, and it could possible be an issue with a certain tileset like you asked. It was the "dwarvenMines" set, so a custom hak.

His character was able to run through and play in a cave created with the normal boxed cave tileset, with no issues.

It is odd that his PC set up was the only one that had the issue. Everyone else ran perfectly.

I will be messing with it more today, to see what I can do. (working with a memory that hasn't messed with the game in years, so slow to remember/relearn).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ok to test the tileset. I downloaded the "all-in-one" version of CEP1, on both his computer and the server.
    rebuilt the module with it, and restarted.

I did a play test in the cave for about 5 minutes (fought a battle, and looted corpses) with no issues! We will do a full play through this afternoon, with the party. Hopefully that was it.

Still strange it was only his computer though, since 3 of them had the exact same files installed from a flash drive.

I will post back here after the final play through.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    If still not fixed, try swapping the 1060 and 1080 between the PCs (leaving the same drivers). If it turns out that the 1060 is still the one having issues, file a bug with NVIDIA.
    I really doubt that's the cause though.
    Thanks for the advice.

It currently seems to be an issue with actual custom tilesets, but it IS strange that ONLY the 1060 computer has the issues.

we updated a few of the tilesets, and those started working well. We have recently found another tileset causing the same issue on the Same PC only (the one with the 1060). I have quite a lot of tilesets used on my PW, so this might take me some time, as we just began playing through it.

It could take me a long time to play all the areas. The world is difficult, and long term based.

If I discover more. I will post here.

I am almost convinced the GPU is not the cause, but rather some other way your two PCs are different. If you manage to confirm that it's the GPU (e.g. by swapping the GPUs between the PCs and observing the issue following the GPU), please report (@tag me) and I'll make sure it gets looked at.
  • badstrrefbadstrref Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2018
    is there memory leaks with nwn EE ?
    Post edited by badstrref on
    I haven't noticed any. If running win10, you can see both CPU and GPU memory usage in the task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE). Run it for a while and see how it behaves. You'll only start getting the FPS drop if both reach 2GB if it is the memory issue.
    (If running win7/winblue, the task manager only shows CPU memory, GPU should be available in the NVIDIA control panel).

What actual FPS numbers are you seeing? What kind of areas are you playing? What's your CPU (much likely to be a bottleneck in NWN)

Again, are you sure the issue is in the different GPUs? If you can verify that (by swapping only the GPU, leaving the rest of the system as is), it's an NVIDIA bug, not a NWN one. If that's the case, just send me a PM and I'll look into it.
  • 1nspirare1nspirare Member Posts: 1
    been having similar issue

just not that severe

game occasionally stutters (lags) for a brief moment ( screen, music and everything freezes for a brief moment) it looks like a CPU spike of some sort..

I'm running it on i5/GTX1080

Solution that did help me - before I start the game I do "verify game" option, unless I do that game keeps lagging continuously
    thanks. I think for my son it is a CPU spike thing also. It is an older Quad Core CPU (maybe original quad core, lol) . I was just figuring it would run NWN on it, since I used to build/play/and host a NWN2 server on it with no issues.

it is obviously a new GPU though so maybe it is sort of bottle neck.

I will have him try the "verify game" option, to see if that helps.
  • ninjazninjaz Member Posts: 13
    I am guessing that because the newer cards are so powerful, they are waiting on the older cpu to feed them more info. However, since the 1080 has much higher bandwidth and memory size, it is able to render the whole frame before the stutter would kick in, unlike the 2GB 1060. Does that seem plausible to you all?
    edited May 2018
    i didn't play last few months, and Im sad to say that I have yet again encountered unplayable and unbearable gameplay even with absolute lowest graphic options enabled and all post process effects disabled (Ao, DoF, vibrancy, etc) - using i5 2500k, gtx 1060 (can play GTA V without any graphic restrictions)
    1nspirare said:

been having similar issue

just not that severe

game occasionally stutters (lags) for a brief moment ( screen, music and everything freezes for a brief moment) it looks like a CPU spike of some sort..

I get these kinds of freezes anytime a player is rendered in front of me (walking toward them), even with lowest settings, its really annoying, its almost a crash

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    @badstrref Did you report these issues on support.baldursgate.com? This is our bug tracker where you can hear back from QA.

@badstrref Did you report these issues on support.baldursgate.com? This is our bug tracker where you can hear back from QA.

I just did, hope it helps,
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37205
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2018
    1.75 coming, still no feedback, also performance needs testing versus 1.69, because in 1.69 the only problem was the lack of master server, not performance