Skip to content

How to stop movement / cancel action for single party member?

It's weird -- I can't find a way to tell a single selected party member to stop moving or cancel their current action. The "S" key will stop a group, but it doesn't work if only one character is selected.

I see in the manual for the classic BG2, it says that right-clicking "cancels current action", but in EE, right-clicking on the ground just causes the character to walk there the same as if I'd left-clicked...

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Thats a good question. I don't know if there is a way to just stop a single character.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    I haven't seen a way either. The right-click behavior of BG2EE is identical to classic BG2 though. It can be used to move a character (or group of characters) to a new position on the map without the danger of accidentally activating some trigger or dialog.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @Nerva Please, report it on support.baldursgate.com
  • NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
    OK, I submitted it as a feature request. I can think of two ways of implementing it:

1) Have the "Stop" command (default "S" key) work for single characters rather than just groups.
    And/or
    2) Since movement can be done by either left-clicking or right-clicking, add the gameplay option to have right-clicking cancel the current action of the selected character(s), and move would only use left-clicking.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    Nerva said:

OK, I submitted it as a feature request. I can think of two ways of implementing it:

1) Have the "Stop" command (default "S" key) work for single characters rather than just groups.
    And/or
    2) Since movement can be done by either left-clicking or right-clicking, add the gameplay option to have right-clicking cancel the current action of the selected character(s), and move would only use left-clicking.

1) seems sensible to me - it's always seemed odd that you have to select more than 1 character to be able to cancel their actions.

I wouldn't go for 2) though as left-clicking and right-clicking perform different functions in the game. Right-clicking allows you to move to a particular spot without interacting - so for instance you can move on top of some treasure and then pick it up via the inventory screen (allowing you to maintain stealth or invisibility). Changing that would be a significant move away from original game behavior.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    Right-clicking also allows you to specify the formation orientation for a group of characters. Very useful when traversing narrow or winding passages, or to strategically place your party in front of enemies (e.g. to protect your weaker characters).
    Yeah, I forgot that -- and I use that feature all the time.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Right-clicking a creature will also cycle through its 'common' soundset.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    If you have more than one selected, tgere iscthat big ‘X’ button at the bottom of the screen.
    Yes, but my question was regarding when only one character is selected -- that's the problem.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Left click to make him move just one step or even less . Not perfect, but it works for most situations. For the ones where it doesnt, like hide in shadows or turn undead, is possible to stop the action using its button.