Skip to content

Disagreement with the proposed 4th class

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199
This discussion was created from comments split from: The Add the ability to have a fourth class card discussion.

Comments

• BlessedAdversaryBlessedAdversary Member Posts: 14
    I don't want four classes either because I am also a NWN/NWN2 player and I prefer 3 classes over 4.
    Thank you for your valuable insight. Do you work here? Should I run all my thoughts by you first?
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992

Thank you for your valuable insight. Do you work here? Should I run all my thoughts by you first?

Guess someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I have been on the forums for longer than you have BTW. And I am currently on the head start so yes, you'd argue I'm working for BD. For free.

My point is, your argument is non-existent.
    Well thank you for working for free for Beamdog. Perhaps they could enroll you in some customer service.
    Its great that you have developed such a grand sense of self importance on your video game forum alone at home, but it's not going to translate well into real life.
    What argument? That I have an opinion and you don't like it?

What argument? That I have an opinion and you don't like it?

It's not that I don't like it. It's nonsensical.
    How is my preferring the 3 classes availabe in NWN to the 4 classes in NWN2 nonsensical?
  • badstrrefbadstrref Member Posts: 124
    it should be allowed but with an option to opt out, even without it is easily scriptable restriction thanks to the OnLevelUp event. so I don't see any problem here
  • britishjbritishj Member Posts: 44
    I've never used 3 classes but i don't see anything wrong with letting people who want to use 4 use 4 if thats how they want to play.
  • badstrrefbadstrref Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2017
    britishj said:

I've never used 3 classes but i don't see anything wrong with letting people who want to use 4 use 4 if thats how they want to play.

Problems arises when balancing PvP online, it will eventually settle with compromise and softcode restrictions
    Post edited by badstrref on
  • britishjbritishj Member Posts: 44
    I suppose allowing creators to edit this limit would be the best option with this.
    Fardragon said:

How is my preferring the 3 classes availabe in NWN to the 4 classes in NWN2 nonsensical?

I think the point is, having a CAP of four classes does not prevent you from creating a character with three, or two, or one. However, having a cap of three classes DOES prevent someone from making a character with four.

So you are saying "Because I don't want this, I want to stop you from having it".
    Exactly.
    Not once did I ever say anyone couldn't have it, or shouldn't have it. Nor did I say I'm not going to buy the game if it has 4 classes, I thought the point was to get as many opinions from paying customers as possible. And my opinion, is that I don't like the 4 class setup, I wasn't a fan of it in NWN2, so my opinion is that I prefer 3 classes. I'm not sure why my opinion matters so much.
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    This should be low on the priority list. And, as I said in the other thread, all this would do is allow the power builders to throw weapon master into all the melee builds where it didn't fit before.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Not once did I ever say anyone couldn't have it, or shouldn't have it. Nor did I say I'm not going to buy the game if it has 4 classes, I thought the point was to get as many opinions from paying customers as possible. And my opinion, is that I don't like the 4 class setup, I wasn't a fan of it in NWN2, so my opinion is that I prefer 3 classes. I'm not sure why my opinion matters so much.

No one forced you to take a forth class in NWN2, why do you care about the existence of an option that you never use?
    Fardragon said:

No one forced you to take a forth class in NWN2, why do you care about the existence of an option that you never use?
    Again, exactly.
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190

This should be low on the priority list. And, as I said in the other thread, all this would do is allow the power builders to throw weapon master into all the melee builds where it didn't fit before.

LOL. Not the dreaded powerbuilders (TM)!

I'll let you into a secret - if they really want WM they'll get it in 3 classes. And it's not really that strong unless Devastating Critical is enabled, which it isn't in most PWs. And who cares what happens in SP?
  • MalclaveMalclave Member Posts: 47
    Not sure if I'd ever use the 4th class (the PW I play on only allows 1 Prestige Class per character), but I don't see why it should be prevented. Can someone opposed to it explain the problems foreseen?
  • DhraaxDhraax Member Posts: 6
    I think it could be interesting extend to four classes, but that you can also limit the number if as server admin (PW) wants it.
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    I think that limiting PrCs makes some sense, as the source books make it clear that these are both hard to achieve and at the DM's discretion. However, that's probably best left to the "DMs", i.e. the PW admin or module builder.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Now here's the rub. As far as I'm aware more people play single player than use pw's or play in multi-player. With the possibility of a single player having 4 classes what is the point of having hench persons when a pc can be fighter/rogue/cleric/mage all in one build?

TR

Now here's the rub. As far as I'm aware more people play single player than use pw's or play in multi-player. With the possibility of a single player having 4 classes what is the point of having hench persons when a pc can be fighter/rogue/cleric/mage all in one build?

TR

Why do you care how other people play single player games?

I could swear I posted about how a fighter/rogue/cleric/wizard would be a terrible and weak character and that henchmenwere optional.

I'm suprised you would need too! It seems pretty obvious that you never need a henchman as the game is at the moment, which is why I am more interested the poster's motives than addessing thier clearly spurious argument.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Fardragon said:

TR

Why do you care how other people play single player games?
    I care because it makes spending time lovingly crafting henchmen pointless. Have you built a module? I can tell you it takes a lot of work even to come up with an average module.

TR
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    edited December 2017
    "And it's not really that strong unless Devastating Critical is enabled, which it isn't in most PWs. And who cares what happens in SP? "

Wrong. Improved critical threat range is far better than anything the other melee classes get.