Skip to content

NWN - Multiplayer v Campaign - What is your preference?

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
edited December 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
The original Neverwinters computer game released in 1991 was a Goldbox game (The Goldbox engine was the way you played D&D on the computer before the Infinity Engine) specifically made for multiplayer.

When Neverwinter was released for the second time with the aurora engine, multiplayer was once again at it's core. Yet... Yet, it also came with its own OC, the original campaign.

Some loathed the OC. Some loved it. Shadows of Unrentide and Hordes of the Underdark expanded it.

Some loathed the multiplayer. Some loved it. Worlds spawned on the internet and the NWN Vaults heaved under the copious amounts of input...

The question is... Who do you love more, Multiplayer or Campaign? Which is better? Why?

Choose one... Make a decision... Pick a side on the great NWN debate!
  1. NWN - Multiplayer v Campaign - What is your preference?57 votes
    1. Multiplayer - (Includes all types of environments with more than one player, PvP etc)
      61.40%
    2. Original Campaign - (Includes SoU, HotU and the premium modules.)
      38.60%

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Whilst I enjoyed playing the OC, I loved the multiplayer. It worked on the aurora engine far better than the infinity engine, possibly due to the set-up. You could become part of a party and guild. Plus you could laugh at all the stupid ways your friends could die...
  • HipsterHipster Member Posts: 39
    There are so many types of nwn players, it gets confusing sometimes. I play PWs because they don't fade.
  • SaintPhillipSaintPhillip Member Posts: 59
    IDK, I enjoy both.

I mainly play single player campaigns but I'm seriously considering grabbing my wife a cheap computer to play this together.

Back in the day I had several friends who played and it was a blast running through adventures together but these days I dont really know anyone who plays.

As far as persistent worlds- They just dont appeal to me...The idea behind them is stellar but I'm not into RPing at all and that part is a bit of a turn off to me- Plus for my mmo(ish) fix there are tons of choices these days from the survial style games with pws like 7d2d (shaping up to be one of my favorite games) to WURM Unlimited right up to full blown mmorps like even DDO.

To me, this game really shines when it revolves around the characters and I love being able to play a starter adventure and then browse the modules to find something to play for whatever level I end up and rinse/repeat...Mostly thats done single player for me but I enjoy doing that multiplayer as well.

So idk...I'm torn there-

Playing through the OC again right now and having a freaking ball doing it- Its alot better than I remember it being- My memories of the OC was that it was just terrible but this time its a blast- I guess my tastes changed over the decade of more since ive played it lol
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Multiplayer is NWN's strength.

I would enjoy a single player campaign too, but with a classic D&D party. D&D doesn't really work playing with a single character.

With full party control NWN would be effectively expanded into offering unlimited BG style single player adventuring.
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266

Multiplayer is NWN's strength.

I would enjoy a single player campaign too, but with a classic D&D party. D&D doesn't really work playing with a single character.

With full party control NWN would be effectively expanded into offering unlimited BG style single player adventuring.

and this the BD problem said it did not want to change the OC, expansions and premium modules ... and yet this debate is making many of the community argue.

Personally @1varangiani I am in favor of all 2 types of game, but since I had to vote I chose the multy for the fact that NWN gives the possibility to create different and varied modules with which you can play in multy but on the one hand the mancaza of love to the OC and the premium modules and expansions makes all this a bit sad ... from that side NWN does not reflect in part the Gameplay of BG, D & D and a group game and in OC this is missing ... you can do it if games in multy but for those who do not have friends or relatives who play NWN: EE how do you do it? the solution already explained in another tread and to implement the dynamics imported in the various SU and HoTU expansions in OC to make the game in step with the expansions.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2017
    I hate all things multiplayer with utmost loathing. Even the awful OC is better than interacting with the most loathsome species on the planet.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • GorgonGorgon Member Posts: 22
    With that last post, I had to say...
    I bought NWN over 14 years ago as a way to play D&D online, and have no regrets (big fan of RP servers). I can see things being different if I was looking for other types of online servers, but the RP community is still strong to this day.

I think the only OC mod I finished was HotU, but I was into multiplayer after a few hours of buying the first NWN CDs. Persistent world stuff hooked me right away.

Multiplayer wins my vote in this poll! B)
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I voted OC, but my real vote would have been for fan-created modules.

I intend to check out some PWs soon, though.
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    I play both, providing we include community made campaigns/modules, but MP is more important than SP, because it's open ended.
    My own preference is for medium magic, medium RP servers, but they were never popular from the get go.

Why medium magic? The problem with high magic is it's all about the items and too little about the character. Low magic problem is that it too heavily favours casters.
  • flyinghtcherflyinghtcher Member Posts: 21
    I really enjoyed going on quest for items in high magic servers, sometimes involving a whole guild or clan of mates. Can't see myself doing that if all you need is the XP.

I really enjoyed going on quest for items in high magic servers, sometimes involving a whole guild or clan of mates. Can't see myself doing that if all you need is the XP.

That sounds like an MMORPG rather than D&D, but one of the benefits of NWN is that it allows for both.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    When you say campaign you should include all player made campaigns.
    Wow! So much feedback...

Some great answers and reasons for their choices.

But I am wavering. I have been playing Shadows of Unrentide.

And I am loving it!
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    Enjoyed the OC and the expansion modules. But if I have to choose and I did I would choose the multiplayer. Back in the day I played a weekly campaign with a group of others from all over the world and it was some of the best play I ever had it lasted around two years. Another part I enjoy immensely is the toolset which I would have to attach to the multiplayer side though I’m no guru like some here. PW’s I also enjoy because they add a ‘human’ randomness to the session which at times is extremely frustrating but mostly incredibly enjoyable.
  • VerilazicVerilazic Member Posts: 20
    I'm not much of a fan of the OC, but I love the single player custom modules out there. That said, I've played a lot of other multiplayer games in the past, so I'm considering exploring that side of NWN soon.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    I would change wording here - it's multiplayer vs single-player. Because many people dislike OC but love HoTU and modules from players. Putting it as a choice kind of misleading.
    Mirandel said:

I would change wording here - it's multiplayer vs single-player. Because many people dislike OC but love HoTU and modules from players. Putting it as a choice kind of misleading.

So would I... Now... The needs of the forumites was hard to predict and I really did not know which or where the poll would go.

General Hindsight is a formidable opponent to battle.
  • PL1PL1 Member Posts: 31
    I only play single-player. I bought NWN for the campaigns, mods, and user-made modules.

And that would be amazing. I don't understand why some people are dead set against implementing FPC.

and this the BD problem said it did not want to change the OC, expansions and premium modules ... and yet this debate is making many of the community argue.

No one's asking them to change any of the official modules. I just want them to add full party control as an option. People who don't want to use it can keep playing with AI-controlled henchmen just as they always did, but now the community would also be able to make deeper/more challenging modules, with the knowledge that players have the level of control required to complete them. No one would lose anything, and a large number of fans would get something they've wanted for years. In my opinion, NWN1's companion system is holding modules back and keeping the game from reaching its full potential, and that's unfortunate. BD wouldn't even necessarily have to implement it themselves. They'd just have to open up the game enough for modders to do it.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @PL1 If technically feasible that would be the single greatest thing they could do
  • jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    Anduin said:

Mirandel said:

So would I... Now... The needs of the forumites was hard to predict and I really did not know which or where the poll would go.

General Hindsight is a formidable opponent to battle.
    Well, multiplayer consists of playing online community-made custom modules so it should have been natural to incude singleplayer custom modules in the choice as well. FIX!!! :D