Skip to content

Modding Custom Races in NWN:EE

I have always wanted to use a custom set of races for a module and the legacy NWN made that extremely difficult.

I was told by wonderfully helpful people over in this thread that NWN:EE loads 2da/tlk info before loading character creation which opens up all sorts of possibilities.

However, I have hit a couple of small road bumps and was wondering if this is a current limitation or if I am doing something untoward.
  1. I can't seem to change the dialog in the UI character select panel. So even if I change every other aspect and description the player still has to select "Dwarf" in the character creation screen. Is this a UI editable piece, hardcoded or can this be edited from a 2da/tlk reference that I am just not seeing?
  2. I wish to change the body type in character creation but Appearance in racetypes.2da will only show the new model in game but uses the default model in creation.
Thank you for your help,

- Jamie

Comments

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited December 2017
    I just tested it and names in race can not overridden yet, sorry I figured they were because their description can be overridden. Maybe someone else knows a way. Ahh I cannot wait til the unlock races, that my number item. If was working proper, you just change the racialtypes.2da column name number to point to your custom tlk file, but I just tested it and you right it does not change the name.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Thank you for confirming @ShadowM!

I do not wish to intrude but could you possibly test for me if you can prevent base races from being selected?

I tried setting player race 1/0 in the racetypes.2da but 7 shiny base races still showed up in character creation.

Like you, I would be sad to think we still can't easily work with custom races but It's nice to know it is very much on the ToDo list!

- Jamie
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Confirmed that method doesn't work, race have always been really hard-coded. You may have some hard-coded issue with base classes too, suggest you start new base classes lines there.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Thank you so much for helping me confirm!

I have been pecking away at this all morning looking for a workaround.

I was thinking of making the edits and overwriting the base models but that's going to be an ugly workaround and for now it's enough to know custom races are a matter of when, not if they will be an upcoming feature.

For now I am going to get everything worked out on paper and return to the puzzle when things are opened up a hair more.

Custom Spell Book and Custom Races seem to be the two big features people ask for so I would put money that we are going to see one of those features soon™ and the other to follow!

- Jamie