Skip to content

Announcing Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ for Mac OS X

DanBoulosDanBoulos Member Posts: 146
edited June 2012 in Archived News
Overhaul Games is proud to announce Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ for Mac OS X.

imageSince its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer role-playing games ever since.

More of the greatest role-playing game of all time for your Mac

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition runs on an upgraded and improved version of the Infinity Engine. It includes the entire Baldur’s Gate adventure, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, and never before seen content including a new adventure and a new party member. The Enhanced Edition will include a variety of Mac OS X specific features, including widescreen and iCloud support.

Epic story and adventure at unprecedented resolution

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will be available in the Mac App Store in summer 2012. For all information regarding Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition visit www.baldursgate.com.

Post edited by PhillipDaigle on

Comments

• AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Will it support Retina display (for new MBP)?
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2012
    The answer is yes according to these two tweets from @TrentOster:
    "The main multi-resolution solution we are doing is splitting the BG UI into three major components, left-side, right side and bottom bar"
    and this:
    TrentOster: "The game should be able to run at 2880x1800, but the source art will be scaled, so it will not be perfect."
  • greedogreedo Member Posts: 3
    Gonna love running BG on my Mac native :) no need for bootcamp/ crossover dream come true
  • DucalukDucaluk Member Posts: 1
    Will it be possible to play the macosx version together with a friend who owns a pc version ?
    Most macosx games i know today don't support cross platform multiplayer or even multiplayer at all.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @Ducaluk This is From Trent Oster's twitter on June 16:

"Multiplayer works fine. We had an iPad playing with a PC, stable."

So yes, cross-platform multiplayer is supported.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I hope that mod autors remember to make their mods Mac compatible or I'll have to buy the Windows version for mods alone.
  • TBOITBOI Member Posts: 1
    This is too good to be true. I've been using different macs for work purposes now for few years.. Which has eventually led me into situation where I can't play BG. Now my dream is about to come true. Thank you!
  • benukerbenuker Member Posts: 1
    BRING IT OOOOOOONNNN!!!!!!! I can't wait!!!
  • JJ1897JJ1897 Member Posts: 11
    Like there wasn't a Mac version in the first place... C'mon, people...
  • y16y16 Member Posts: 1
    OK - the question now remains: when? I've been waiting for the Summer - it has begun. Any hints?
  • ArkinArkin Member Posts: 32
    Can't wait to play this on my Mac. Thanks for the nod in our direction!
  • More86More86 Member Posts: 13
    Any news on system requirements?
  • SidrynSidryn Member Posts: 1
    I'm so excited I could explode! When When When???
  • pathfindingAlgorithmpathfindingAlgorithm Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2012
    Does that mean that a linux version is more probable?

Although I am a Mac user myself I see no reason why the Mac version development should precede a linux one. Developing for linux and then porting for Mac should be the 'right' way.

I'm pretty much dissapointed....
    Apart from wanting to make more money out of two already successful titles i see nothing more. The very comprehensive list of things that can't be done shows that only minimum improvements can be made to the game which in fact will not "enhance" the overall gaming experience.

My hope lies with the modders to provide new interesting stuff. The industry seems to be recycling... a lot lately...
  • SlaytanicSlaytanic Member Posts: 1
    Can't wait for playing again this wonderful game! It will bring me to the time when I was young, when I played wonderful RPGs as BG :) I hope you'll release it very soon!

BTW: will it be compatible with Mountain Lion? If not, I should not upgrade the OS :)
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Does that mean that a linux version is more probable?

Although I am a Mac user myself I see no reason why the Mac version development should precede a linux one. Developing for linux and then porting for Mac should be the 'right' way.

I'm pretty much dissapointed....
    Apart from wanting to make more money out of two already successful titles i see nothing more. The very comprehensive list of things that can't be done shows that only minimum improvements can be made to the game which in fact will not "enhance" the overall gaming experience.

My hope lies with the modders to provide new interesting stuff. The industry seems to be recycling... a lot lately...

They are bringing back a 12 year old game out of cold storage and giving it premium treatment....and it will cost very little. Not only that, the original designers are on the team, including new content and music. It's unpresidented for an ancient rpg!
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2012
    Slaytanic said:

Can't wait for playing again this wonderful game! It will bring me to the time when I was young, when I played wonderful RPGs as BG :) I hope you'll release it very soon!

BTW: will it be compatible with Mountain Lion? If not, I should not upgrade the OS :)

Since they are using Game Center, iCloud, and releasing it exclusively to the Mac App Store it has support Mountain Lion.
    Besides, BG:EE will come out after Moutain Lion's release.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I hope it doesn't require mountain lion,mi still use snow leopard ...for stability reasons.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i'm probably being paranoid, but here's my question...
    the opening post in this thread says in part---
    "...and never before seen content including a new adventure and a new party member."
    only one new party member?
    the Mac section of the home page says all three new NPC's are available
    please clarify
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Windows and Mac game contents are the same. It's on the Faq and Beamdog's page.
This discussion has been closed.