Skip to content

BGEE1: Need help analyzing two seemingly corrupted save-files (EET)

Hi guys - first of all please excuse my english,

I've some serious issue with two of my save files (older saves work fine but as you can imagine I don't want to use my Chapter X starting save).
What's strange is the fact that I had no crashes the last time I played. I just finished the Iron Throne HQ bossfight and saved.
The Quicksave is before deciding Thaldorn's fate and the regular save is a few minutes after that point on the fourth floor.

Both saves can be loaded but within ~1 second the screen freezes and if I alt-tab out of the window I see an error-screen pointing to a dump file.
As said before: Other saves or a New Game, etc. works fine.

1. I never had to tinker with a *dmp-file before... these files are HUGE and even the plain editor is working an it's limit to open it. Are there special tools for that sort of file? When a dmp is finally opened there's lots and lots of gibberish stuff and the last lines don't present any error at the first look.

2. Since the other saves are okay I tried to look at the save via EE-Keeper. There I found some strange things, like f.e. Jeheira being checked as "permanent corpse" although she is at full health. So I unchecked that, made a new save with EE-Keeper > same. I tinkered around a lil' bit, f.e. set Jaheira to "dead", make a new save, etc.
> freeze....

3. The only thing I see before the image freezes, is my MC doing a casting animation. There is sadly no text describing what he does. (Strangely enough it's the same animation in the quicksave and in the regular one aswell although they're minutes apart gamewise). Since I didn't do anything from hand, I tried to deactivate the AI for my MC. If I do it ingame (pausing just after loading one of the two saves) it freezes anyway (maybe too late) and setting the AI to "non" within EE-Keeper also didn't work :(

4. It wouldn't hurt to much, if I had to skip the rest of BGEE (I'm at the very end of chapter 5 and finished the 1st game one time normally and one time during an BGT-run) and simply continue with SoD. But no matter which save I import: None of my MC's gear is carried over. I've seen that some other player had this problem aswell but I couldn't use his suggestion, since I don't have any "cleared" BGEE-save due the problem mentioned above :/

>> Could anyone please provide support?
What should I look in the dmp-file? Is it possible that someone else could ship me around that cliff (play the save f.e. until outside of the Iron Throne HQ) or would it simply crash anew if I load it on my machine?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2018
    Can't do much with the dmp file myself. But can you post your bad save (just throw it in a zip file) and I'll have a look at it?
    Also are you running any mods? If so post your weidu.log file (it would be whatever folder you have the game installed)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    This sounds familiar...

Do you have SCS installed? Is there a message in the text box about Zhalimar taking damage from Enrage wearing off?
  • Luceid23Luceid23 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys and thank you for the replies.
    Sorry that I didn't respond earlier.

@Artemius_I: Well, I didn't see anything like this in the log and the save are a few minutes after the fight actually. The normal save is even already on the way back on the fourth floor.

Sooo...
    I zipped the two savefiles for you but beware: It's somewhat modded so I don't know if it will do anything besides crashing on an unmodded game f.e.

Regarding the WeiDu.log: I have two of the actually - one is in the SoD-folder containing all the stuff for BGEE & SoD and the second one is the BGEE2-folder. Since the problem occurs in BGEE I guess we only need the log for BGEE+SoD:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~SETUP-WEIDU.TP2~ #0 #0 // 24200
    ~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #0 // 20161130 - Updated by agb1 (installation started 28.11.2017)
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Slime Quest: v15
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Beregost Family Quest: v15
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Installing the Babysitting Quest, including the Carnival Encounter...: v15
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #3 // Nashkel Monster Quest: v15
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Fallen Paladin Quest: v15
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #5 // Undying Love Quest: v15
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Orcish Lover Encounter: v15
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #7 // Unexpected Help Quest: v15
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #8 // "Many Little Paws": v15
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Drunk near Beregost Temple: v15
    ~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #10 // A Warm Place for Noober: v15
    ~SOA/SETUP-SOA.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Stone of Askavar for TotSC/Tutu/BGT/BGEE -> Default version: areas connected by travel triggers: 2.0
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content): v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content): v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content): v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content): v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content): v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content): v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #17 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location -> Alora Starts in the Hall of Wonders: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #20 // The BG1 NPC Project: Eldoth's Starting Location -> Eldoth Starts on the Coast Way: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #22 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location -> Quayle Starts at the Nashkel Carnival: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #24 // The BG1 NPC Project: Tiax's Starting Location -> Tiax Starts in Beregost: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #26 // BGEE Banter Timing Tweak: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #28 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #31 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary: v23
    ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v23
    ~BG1NPCMUSIC/SETUP-BG1NPCMUSIC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project Music Pack -> Install All Audio: v6
    ~CORANBGFRIEND/CORANBGFRIEND.TP2~ #0 #0 // Coran's Extended BG Friendship Talks: v4
    ~AJANTISBG1/SETUP-AJANTISBG1.TP2~ #0 #0 // Installs Ajantis BG1 Expansion Modification: 10
    ~FINCHNPC/FINCHNPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Finch NPC: v4.0 BETA 7
    ~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Gavin NPC for Tutu, BGT, and BG:EE: 13
    ~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #1 // Gavin: Romance (mature content): 13
    ~GAVIN/GAVIN.TP2~ #0 #2 // Gavin: Flirts (adult content): 13
    ~VALERIE/VALERIE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Valerie NPC Mod for BG1 Tutu: v1.1 BWP Fix
    ~ISRA/SETUP-ISRA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Isra NPC Mod for BG:EE, BGT and TuTu: 2.0 BWP Fix
    ~ISRA/SETUP-ISRA.TP2~ #0 #1 // Install Valerie/Isra crossmod banter?: 2.0 BWP Fix
    ~ISRA/SETUP-ISRA.TP2~ #0 #2 // Install Gavin/Isra crossmod banter?: 2.0 BWP Fix
    ~WHITE/WHITE.TP2~ #0 #0 // White NPC for BG:EE, BGT and TuTu: v1.4 BWP Fix
    ~SIRENE/SETUP-SIRENE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
    ~SIRENE/SETUP-SIRENE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Sirene NPC for Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear
    ~VERRSZA/VERRSZA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Verr'Sza - the rakshasa NPC for BG1EE
    ~VERRSZA/VERRSZA.TP2~ #0 #1 // Verr'Sza: Siege of Dragonspear
    ~VERRSZA/VERRSZA.TP2~ #0 #2 // Crossmod: talks between Verr'Sza and Sirene
    ~SIRENE/SETUP-SIRENE.TP2~ #0 #8 // Crossmod: Sirene-White - banters
    ~SIRENE/SETUP-SIRENE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Crossmod: Sirene-Verr'Sza - banters
    ~NEERA/NEERA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Neera Expansion: v1.1
    ~NEERA/NEERA.TP2~ #0 #4 // How much time would you like between talks (approximately)? -> 1.5 hours (default): v1.1
    ~NEERA/NEERA.TP2~ #0 #6 // Make Neera romanceable by women?: v1.1
    ~NEERABANTERS/NEERABANTERS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Neera Banters: Dialogue Banters and Interjections: v0.9.1
    ~GARRICK-TT/SETUP-GARRICK-TT.TP2~ #1 #0 // Garrick: Tales of a Troubadour: 1.26
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ice Island Level Two Restoration: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Mysterious Vial: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #10 // Place Entar Silvershield in His Home: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #11 // Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #12 // Quoningar, the Cleric: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #14 // Edie, the Merchant League Applicant: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #16 // Creature Corrections: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Creature Restorations: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #18 // Creature Name Restorations: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #19 // Minor Dialogue Restorations: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #21 // Store, Tavern and Inn Fixes and Restorations: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #22 // Item Corrections and Restorations: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #28 // Prism and the Emeralds Tweak: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #29 // Duke Eltan in the Harbor Master's Building: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #32 // Svlast, the Fallen Paladin Encounter: v15.1
    ~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #33 // Mal-Kalen, the Ulcaster Ghost: v15.1
    // Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-BWS_FINAL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Make quick-logged WeiDU-entries visible

(I'm not sure if you need the log for BGEE2 aswell since this one contains overarching stuff like fixpacks, etc.)
    To cut a long story short: I didn't install big mods like Stratagems, Drizzt' Saga, etc. - mostly some NPC-related stuff and some smaller adventures. And I tinkered a lil' bit around concerning the classes, just for some serious cheesy powergaming (MC = Berserker/Mage, Viconia Assassine/Cleric and stuff like that *rolleyes*)

I surely encountered some sporadic crashes while playing but it was like 4~5 in the whole play through and nothing that wasn't fixed by reloading the last save and simply move on.
    And as I said before: I had no crash or anything strange in the Iron Throne HQ. I simply had to stop playing and saved.

It wouldn't hurt too much to import the save into SoD and adjust stuff by hand via EE-Keeper (see #4 in the opening post + some stuff like the Tomes I still have to collect like Candlekeep Catacombs, Durlag's Tower, etc.). But it's still a lot of work and I guess I would have to use the console for some stuff like continued NPCs that react differently if you met them earlier/ in BGEE (f.e. the Sirene-mod, a.s.o.)

I'm glad for your help, no matter the results :)
    Have you installed anything like EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy)? Even at some point in the past? Because the area names of every single area code I'm seeing in your quick save file is wrong (at least according to what they should be in an unmodded game). That's not to say this is anything to panic over, but basically BG1 and BG2 use many of the same area file names so mods that merge the two games need to come up with new area codes.

I'm not pretending to be an expert on EET in any respect, but if you are trying to play a game that was created using EET, but without having it installed, it's likely to run into a few issues because of this.
  • Luceid23Luceid23 Member Posts: 3
    Yup, I have an EET-Installation, which was generated without any error via the Big World Setup.

So I'd say it's not the main-cause of this issue. I guess it would have crashed f.e. as soon as I entered the Iron Throne f.e. but it didn't to that.
    I can freely switch between my Campaigns, so the EET itself shouldn't be the reason.