Skip to content

Is the game really just 1.3GB?

The original had 6 CDs, that's shy of 4GB. So what's up?

Comments

• allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    Initial download is but final game is about 3.1GB I think
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Remember that storage media was a lot smaller back then. Those 6cds were later released as 3cds including the expansion. It really is only a little under a gig and a half.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    edited November 2012
    hmm maybe better compression, for audio and so on.. and i think you have to dl the last 500 mb at release.

Edit: and it may be a ziped file that has to be installed..
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited November 2012
    Once the game actually installs it'll occupy more space on your hard drive. (I think)

EDIT: Also, the final download will be 1.8GB, the last 500Mb will be downloaded on release day.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    They've cleared out a source code or something, so the game weight less.
    Someone already said this somewhere on these forums.
  • ThunderSoulThunderSoul Member Posts: 125
    Kirkor said:

Source code doesn't extend in the gigs, it is only text. Something that makes a difference between 1GB and 4GB is graphics / textures / 3D models (if any).

Source code for a large game nowadays may only be about 10MBs or so and back in the day a little over 1 MB.

A game is just text. What gives a game its size is its looks. :D
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700

Kirkor said:

Source code doesn't extend in the gigs, it is only text. Something that makes a difference between 1GB and 4GB is graphics / textures / 3D models (if any).

Source code for a large game nowadays may only be about 10MBs or so and back in the day a little over 1 MB.

A game is just text. What gives a game its size is its looks. :D
    Well, maybe there are less visible pixels. Pixels are heavy! /jk
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    They put BG on a diet. I heard that it's running low on Carbohydrates so it's kinda obvious, it lost weight :)
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210

They put BG on a diet. I heard that it's running low on Carbohydrates so it's kinda obvious, it lost weight :)

Atkins? Poor BG must have terrible wind then.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Id rather be tubby and get to enjoy pizza and donuts whenever I want, than be super healthy and live for a few extra years.

Like 60-70 years of pizza vs 5-10 years more life without pizza ... No thank you, gimmeh Pizza!
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    But eat pizza and donuts AND workout = win?
  • TroikaTroika Member Posts: 36
    Don't worry, they just used better compression techniques for audio/video/bitmaps than the game originally had.
    I tried to work out, but I just can't stay committed to it.

Now I crave my glorious lemon Pizza and its past 2 am ... Now or for breakfast ... Hmmm..
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    They made all NPCs into halflings so that halved the size of the install.
    Hmmm, I wonder ... Would halfling Winthrop and the lady from Sembia still be just as fat but simply shorter? That would look deformed.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    it still takes 4h to download --'
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Tanthalas said:

EDIT: Also, the final download will be 1.8GB, the last 500Mb will be downloaded on release day.

Seriously?? We have to come back here and do this all over again??
    I gotta say I'm excited... :D:D:D
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited November 2012

And you don't even get the source code, you get a compiled executable that's much smaller than all the source code put together. ;)

Zeckul said:

And you don't even get the source code, you get a compiled executable that's much smaller than all the source code put together. ;)

There you go! I wish they would have put some BGT content in this one.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    I remember hearing that the original Baldur's gate had duplicate content on the CDs. So for example town like Beregost was on multiple CDs so you didn't need to swap them all time when traveling.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited November 2012
    I seem to recall Trent saying the old games had a crap ton of duplicated data across those discs.

[EDIT] @Bercon, how the hell did you ninja in there! You weren't there when I posted...
    decado said:

I seem to recall Trent saying the old games had a crap ton of duplicated data across those discs.

[EDIT] @Bercon, how the hell did you ninja in there! You weren't there when I posted...

rofl... How much duplicate data exactly?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Someone give Bercon the Ninja badge ;)