Skip to content

Half-Elven Ranger/Cleric or Dwarven Fighter/Cleric?

Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
The R/C has stealth option (without heavy armour) and free points in Two weapon style, while the Dwarven F/C has better Constitution and super high saves. These are the most obvious differences I can notice at the moment. Which one would you choose?

(And yes, by R/C, I mean the FIXED one, that is, the one which has access to druid spells only upto level 3.)

I think a Dwarven R/C, if it were possible, would have been the best.
  1. Half-Elven Ranger/Cleric or Dwarven Fighter/Cleric?17 votes
    1. Half-Elven Ranger/Cleric
      35.29%
    2. Dwarven Fighter/Cleric
      64.71%

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    The saves are too good... so I'll choose this as it'll probably help more in the long run. Sanctuary can make up for stealth.

Besides there's the dwarf-exclusive Dwarven Thrower, and the Helmet of Dumathoin that gives +2 Constitution bonus for dwarves and can be imported to BG2 (are there any others?).
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I actually think the dwarf f/c is better in most power gaming scenarios, but find the r/c more appealing from a rp standpoint. I’d also add that the r/c gets a favoured enemy (+4 bonus) which can be incredibly helpful in certain scenarios, eg. if you want to do Watcher’s Keep early in SOA.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    FC could also be half orc or gnome, both excellent choices.
    FD is also very nice.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    lroumen said:

FC could also be half orc or gnome, both excellent choices.

@lroumen, Dwarf F/C is a lot better than Gnome F/C. You see, Gnomes miss out on the shorty saves Vs Death, and suffer that -1 penalty to wisdom.

And with "Draw Upon Holy Might" and later Crom Faeyr, you'd probably not need that extra +1 strength from Half-Orc that much, except for the very early stages of BG.
    Gnome is style points and it still gets enough save bonuses. Death ward will in the end fix the lower save. Wisdom is overrated :p

Half orc gives strength immediately while crom takes half of bg2...

Then again there are plenty of potions and items to make any race fine.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Are you editing the .lua to re-enable druid spells to the R/C? Dwarves make the best tanks typically, but R/Cs are VERY hard to kill regardless and the druid spells make them excellent "I win" buttons. Bees are the true avatars of murder.
    lroumen said:

Gnome is style points and it still gets enough save bonuses. Death ward will in the end fix the lower save.

Sorry, I couldn't get what you mean by "style points". And Death ward doesn't protect against all effects that require a save Vs Death, most notably on-hit effects from weapons and saves Vs poisoning effects (there are others as well, which I cannot recollect at the moment).
    lroumen said:

Wisdom is overrated :p

Really? Even when high wisdom gives you additional level 6 and 7 spells?
    ThacoBell said:

Are you editing the .lua to re-enable druid spells to the R/C?

I did mention about that in the original post.

(And yes, by R/C, I mean the FIXED one, that is, the one which has access to druid spells only upto level 3.)

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Rik_Kirtaniya I failed a spot check :/
    @ThacoBell
    Well, never mind. :)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    lroumen said:

Half orc gives strength immediately while crom takes half of bg2...

Then again there are plenty of potions and items to make any race fine.

clerical spells, potions, a cheap mage spell and items, that you find way before you get crom, make that point of str more less useful, while saving throws are always welcome.

it depends also from if you are willing to do the entire saga or start later, if you want to roll the best possible stats or not, and if you plan a party that needs those items, spells and potions or not.

Sure, if you think you want the bonuses then go for it but since it is for a two player party you will be swamped in gear and levels anyhow so I expect you will rarely notice that you don't have a certain race specific bonus.

Style points: gnomes are funny.