Skip to content

Hayes (Neera quest spoilers)

I saved all the wild mages from the Red Wizards and tracked down Hayes. If I kill him, I can bring his tunic back to his wife, but she gets upset and just says she needs time to think. If I wait long enough, does anything happen? Or is there an alternative to killing Hayes? Would love to resolve this quest.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Nope, you just told someone that you murdered her husband for no reason.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    you can let Hayes live, there's a reward from his wife, a robe that's good for wild mage's, but nothing like as good as Vecna's.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Borek said:

you can let Hayes live, there's a reward from his wife, a robe that's good for wild mage's, but nothing like as good as Vecna's.

@Borek You can get that robe anyways, irrespective of whether you kill Hayes or let him live.
    ThacoBell said:

Nope, you just told someone that you murdered her husband for no reason.

@ThacoBell No reason? Didn't he betray his kind (that is, he himself was a wild mage too) and even his own wife, to the MOST EVIL Red Wizards?
    @Rik_Kirtaniya No reason to the player. While you gain a robe for killing him, you also receive absolutely nothing for informing his wife of the deed. Unless you count further traumatizing someone a perk.
    @ThacoBell Of course, there is a reason to the player... Hayes must be punished for his evil deeds! And you don't get the Robe for killing him. You get it because you saved the wild mages, just that.

@ThacoBell Of course, there is a reason to the player... Hayes must be punished for his evil deeds! And you don't get the Robe for killing him. You get it because you saved the wild mages, just that.

No, Hayes has a unique robe that he drops when you kill him. But that wasn't the OP's question. The op was asking if telling his wife that you killed Hayes gets you anything, and it doesn't. All it does is add to her trauma.
    ThacoBell said:

No, Hayes has a unique robe that he drops when you kill him.
    @ThacoBell All that Hayes dropped when I killed him was a Tunic smeared with blood ("Hayes' Bloody Tunic" as the game mentions it). There was NO Robe of any sort.
    ThacoBell said:

But that wasn't the OP's question. The op was asking if telling his wife that you killed Hayes gets you anything, and it doesn't. All it does is add to her trauma.

Actually, I didn't seek to answer that question. I just wanted to clarify the fact that you can get the Robe irrespective of the fact that you kill Hayes or not. :)
    @Rik_Kirtaniya There is more than one robe. You get one for saving the wild mages, and another, different robe for killing Hayes. He drops it upon death.
    @ThacoBell, can you please name it? :) (I mean what kind of robe does Hayes drop?)
    Its called "The Robe of Goodman Hayes". It basically confers a permant Chaos Shield. I don't know if it has any other characteristics, as I don't use Neera long term.
    @ThacoBell
    Hey, that's really, really surprising! You know what, in my game I went to Telana directly after rescuing the Wild Mages (that is, without going to Trademeet) and it was she who gave me that same robe!
    ThacoBell said:

I don't know if it has any other characteristics, as I don't use Neera long term.

It's other effect is to give a -1 penalty to AC to the wearer (that'll increase the AC).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Robe of Goodman Hayes (ohnrobe1) (Permanent chaos shield on wearer, AC -1 penalty) is indeed the Reward from Telana for freeing the wild mages.
    Rik_Kirtaniya
    Thanks @JuliusBorisov :) for confirming and clarifying the fact (which I'd been trying to prove for so long).
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    @Rik_Kirtaniya "All that Hayes dropped when I killed him was a Tunic smeared with blood ("Hayes' Bloody Tunic" as the game mentions it). There was NO Robe of any sort. "

I completely missed that the first time I read your post. I could have SWORN Hayes dropped a unique robe separate from what Telana gives you. So I guess no, you get absolutely nothing for killing Hayes, and there is no reason to do so.
    ThacoBell said:

I completely missed that the first time I read your post.

Another failed spot check, @ThacoBell? ;) (I tried to reduce the spot DC, by making the letters bold. :D )
    ThacoBell said:

So I guess no, you get absolutely nothing for killing Hayes, and there is no reason to do so.

The reasons for my actions are not just based on material gains. While I agree that telling Telana about Hayes's demise must be shocking to her, justice demanded that he should be punished for his evil deeds. You might not agree, but that's part of the roleplaying. I wish there were alternate options to deal with the quest (so as to have a satisfactory end), but when I talked to Hayes in Trademeet, I realised that he had absolutely no remorse or repentance for his actions, and had absolutely no desire to redeem himself. You see, I just couldn't forgive a man of such nature. Besides that, killing him actually released him from the endless torment that he would eventually face, when his conscience would ultimately awaken. His death was a mercy.
    @Rik_Kirtaniya I blame the quote. When I saw that I was quoted, I reflexively scrolled to the bottom, assuming everything above was quote.