Skip to content

A vocabulary guide to NWN, and NWN EE

Greetings!
I have been reading through these forums for a few days now and have noticed in some of the requests some uncertainty of what to call specific parts to NWN. This is a guide for those unfamiliar with the large number of parts to NWN, and NWN EE.
PC- the player character. -this is a players toon, the one they have full control of.

NPC- Non Player Character/Creature this is any creature in the game that is not controlled by a player.

Item- this is something the PC can pick up in game, and possibly equiped. There are items that can not be equiped, these can be held in the PC inventory.

Placeable- these are the extra decoration items that are added to the areas of the game. A placeable can be a set to open with an inventory, or be static and not clickable by the player.

Script- this is the code that makes something happen. Scripts can be "fired" (set to run) when a PC enters, acquires, un-acquires, dies, re-spawns, or rests.

Area- The areas of the game are made with Tilesets. Tilesets can be indoor, outdoor, and even inside large creatures. Check the vault for that last one- there is a stomach tileset available!

O.C. The Original Campaign, the set of Modules that came with the initial release of NWN.

S.O.U The first expansion to NWN, Shadows of the Undrentide, which added new content and a new set of Mods to play.

HotU The last official expansion to NWN, Hordes of the Underdark. HotU added new content and new levels 21-40 to the PC.

Premium Module Mods made and released by Bio ware, Kingmaker, Witches Wake, Infinite Dungeons are all Premium Mods.

Hak: a hak is new content for the game. a hak can be a single item, creature, sound, portrait for a creature, or placeable, or a large combination of all of these things.

Mod: This is short for Module- a Mod is the file contains the areas that the player plays. A mod is the story- or lack there of that contains the areas, or area a PC explores. A Mod can be a single area, with nothing, or an entire adventure of hundreds of areas, monsters, and placeables. The O.C. S.O.U. and HotU stories are Mods.

P.W. Persistent World, this is a Mod that is hosted for play for Multi-player. A PW usually has some sort of consistency. As an example, many PW have the scripting in place that if you log out with a dead PC, that PC will still be dead when the player logs back in. The PW is multiplayer, but multiplayer is not necessarily on a PW.

C.E.P The CEP is a Hak set. It contains a large amount of content made by members of the NWN community. The CEP has had a long time status of the popular Hak to have for PWs, and has had several updates and additions, along with changes of management.

Project Q Q is also a Hak set that contains a large amount of content. Much of the base of that content was made by the Q team, some of who worked on the Darkness over Daggerford Premium Mod. Q in my opinion has better quality than the CEP, all be it less quantity. Q tends to asthetically match the Castle Rural tileset that was apart of the 1.69 patch.

The Vault This is the place to get community made content for NWN. there are thousands of haks, mods, scripts, portraits, and starting builds that are free to DL and use. there are active community members who answer questions and offer help with scripting needs. The vault is your friend! https://neverwintervault.org/

Feel free to add to this list!

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    excellent idea!
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    What is NWNX?
  • mlkent22mlkent22 Member Posts: 41
    NWNX is a supportive script system that runs outside of NWN. NWNX is used mainly by PWs to help make the PW persistent. NWNX allows for many functions that NWN simply can not do. When I used NWNX many moons ago, it allowed for a PC to log back into the PW I scripted for, at the exact location point that the PC logged out from, even after a Mod was reset/reloaded. Another function of NWNX was a way to introduce new spells to the game. At some past update in the development of NWNX, the ability to use NWNX in Windows lost support and most NWNX is focused on using Linux rather than Windows based operating systems. When the Windows support was lost, NWNX became problematic to continue to use with Window based servers.

• StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    LoL= Lots of Liches
    WTF! = Wizards To the Forums!
    GTFO = Gnomes Truelly And Frankly Overpowered
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    TS = Trents Scripting
    FU = Falchions Useless
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited January 2018
    Nice start.

Mod often means "modification" i.e. any sort of fan-made contribution to NWN. Module is just one kind of mod, in that sense. Using the whole word is unambiguos.

The wiki is a really useful glossary & guide. I find it best to search with Google or whatever:

nwnwiki [keyword]
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    Proleric said:

Nice start.

Mod often means "modification" i.e. any sort of fan-made contribution to NWN. Module is just one kind of mod, in that sense. Using the whole word is unambiguos.

The wiki is a really useful glossary & guide. I find it best to search with Google or whatever:

nwnwiki [keyword]

Perhaps I'm nitpicking (sorry!), but I'd say module is not a specific type of modification, but something different altogether. You don't modify the game by downloading and launching a module, you add to it.
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2018
    I think Proleric's point (referencing the definition of mod in the OP) is that while in NWN, mod is a common abbreviation for module, anyone coming from most other games might be confused, as modification covers a lot of other things. So if you think about it, your opinion that modules don't even count as mods in that sense, is only supporting his recommendation to avoid ambiguity :P

Calling NWNX a "script system" is similarly confusing, I think :) Script system brings to mind, well, scripts, that use all the cool existing functionality of NWScript to make neat things happen. This can be anything from new spells to hunger/thirst/fatigue systems to custom death/respawn systems, including some persistence using the Bioware DB (ack) and/or tracking using persistent items.

NWNX is an open-source, community-made extender of NWN's capabilities, giving you access to new functions, or unhardcoding things that might have been untouchable without it. It's the only way to use an external database, and is where EE's area instancing (and a few other things!) started from. Some have even used it to to allow their scripts to be written in higher-level languages.

Now that NWN is being actively worked on again, more things that were once NWNX-only may well become part of EE, while others may be too niche/advanced or just not fit scope of "base game" - which is where NWNX can shine. The new NWNX that's being developed alongside EE is still working on its* Windows support, but once done it's supposed to be much easier to write plugins that are automagically cross-platform - so in a way, this is just a short-term outage on the way to stronger support! Pretty much a forever-newb in all areas though sooo nothing I say is gospel, hehe.

*Sorry to sherincall and Liareth for making it sound like "Windows Support" is just some process that happens in the background by itself ! :smiley:
  • mlkent22mlkent22 Member Posts: 41
    Module refers to the Pen and Paper D&D game, which was usually run module by module to fill a campaign.
    The term Mod, has been associated as Module since the initial release of NWN rather than as a new content/ change to the game. In NWN this makes the most sense since in the NWN file tree, the mod folder is for modules. It also has been re-enforced with the 3 ways to add new content/ changes to the the base game. Either by Hak, Override, or Patch.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    Here is some terminology from the Origianl Bioware forums. This may help. :)

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    raz651 said:

Here is some terminology from the Origianl Bioware forums. This may help. :)

@raz651 How you do that? I don't think that website has existed for years!
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    The Wayback Machine which is a backup of the internet housed in the new library of alexandria.

:)

https://web.archive.org/web/20050401000000*/forums.bioware.com
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    Done something like this myself, here.