Skip to content

Looking for something to play? Various lists of modules

LyraVrenLyraVren Member Posts: 21
edited February 2018 in NWN:EE Modules
Here are some links for compiled module lists, for those who don't know how to get started on finding something to play. Note that the lists may not be up to date, check the projects on the Vault for newer releases.

Lists with up-to-date links for migrated Vault pages:

* Hall of Fame modules: list of the highest rated modules before the old vault vanished.

* Campaigns and module series list: Adventures consisting of multiple modules.

* Hero's Path Module List: individual modules grouped to lengthy adventures.

* Unusual module list: something different from the typical heroic adventures.

* Romance Module List: list of modules that feature romancing NPCs.

* Adult content modules: just what it says on the tin.

Lists with outdated/archive links:
Use the search box on the Vault to find new/working links!

* Modules listed by prime material plane: if you're seeking an adventure placed in specific setting.

* Class-specific module list: adventures specifically designed for certain playable class(es).

* A to Z module list: just to see how much playable content there actually is!
Post edited by LyraVren on
JuliusBorisovAndarianAtrophiedericGrymlordeDerpCityStaranDrakonMatronaClopscytheRik_KirtaniyaProontredline[Deleted User]VivienneLricoyungIsewein

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268
    Here's an installation guide with some further ways of finding the best campaigns.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1309774090
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Funny thing is, now there will be so
    Many fragmented (imho) ways of getting modules, it will be hard.

The steam workshop is awesome, but it has very little modules.
    The vault is terrible but has endless amount of modules.
    Soon there will be a download tool exclusively for iOS that will have even less stuff.

BelgarathMTH
  • Can these NVWN 1 EE modules, be played on Android 7.0 Mobile?

Also I only see 3 main mods, 3 premium mods, 3 pay mods, 3 free mods, and Multiplayer/PW list on the game.

If mods like Aerolith, World of Greyhawk, Aielund, etc, can be played on the Android Mobile, then I dont know how, and how do you play these type of mods? And where find these type of Mods?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Staran said:

Funny thing is, now there will be so
    Many fragmented (imho) ways of getting modules, it will be hard.

The steam workshop is awesome, but it has very little modules.
    The vault is terrible but has endless amount of modules.
    Soon there will be a download tool exclusively for iOS that will have even less stuff.

The Steam workshop makes it so easy to install mods, I really don't want to ever go back to the old way of doing it from the Vault, where you had to separately download, unzip, and install every hak and tileset. With the Steam workshop, you don't even have to have an unzip utility, and all the files automatically go to the right places with a single click. They can also be completely deactivated with a single click. I think it's amazing.

If I understand the comments I read correctly, a lot of mod authors are not using it because they don't want to deal with learning how to upload their work to Steam, which is challenging. Also, I think a lot of mod authors moved on years ago, and have no interest in continuing to support their work with updates.

At least we have @Savant1974 's Aielund Saga available on the Workshop. That's the main, highest quality user-created epic adventure I would ever want to play.

Besides all the manual downloading, one of my issues with the Vault is searching and finding anything. You have to sift through an enormous amount of poor-quality junk to find the few buried treasures there. The old Vault had some really good search-by-category and search-by-rating functions that we lost when it was shut down. Again, Steam has search-by-category and search-by-rating, making it easy for end users to find offerings they might find interesting.
    If you refer to my installation guide above, you'll see several methods for finding the best modules on the Vault, which has by far the most comprehensive selection.
  • HimmelweissHimmelweiss Member Posts: 72
    edited January 2019

Besides all the manual downloading, one of my issues with the Vault is searching and finding anything. You have to sift through an enormous amount of poor-quality junk to find the few buried treasures there. The old Vault had some really good search-by-category and search-by-rating functions that we lost when it was shut down.

Agreed, the old vault was so much better when it comes to searching.
    Really don't like the new vault at all, it's quite annoying to find what you are looking for there.

BelgarathMTH
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i would add Tales of Arterra to that list. this one is heavily inspired by baldurs gate just like daggerford was.
  • NumysNumys Member Posts: 18
    Try, Ashen Realm(old) Nums 2019_003

A very good mod lots of fun.

Nums
  • Carlo_OneCarlo_One Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2019
    Two multiplayer lists:

DM-Friendly mods - some of which don't require a DM, see the mod descriptions

Neverwinter Connections recommended multiplayer mods (no DM required)

[EDIT] The latter list now has updated links to Neverwinter Vault.

It's worth mentioning that some of the top-rated module series (Aielund Saga, etc.) work for multiplayer.

I'd like to get a new multiplayer mod list put together for the new Neverwinter Connections, not just to update the links, but also to include more (good) MP mods since the last one was put together. Suggestions based on experience with particular mods are welcomed.
    Post edited by Carlo_One on
    a good rule of thumb to find the good modules is just go into the hall of fame section. that way your not shifting through the lesser ones to get to the good stuff.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Huh, didn't see you released a new version, Andarian! Suffice to say I will definitely play it once I get around to switching to EE. Thanks for the hard work in advance! I still hope you will find the time to finish the series in module form, one day... ;)
    Andarian
  • HonounHonoun Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2019
    I've uploaded two modules now to Steam. Also I don't get why some of you are saying its hard. It's so simple its almost laughable. There's a guide to how on the workshop which explains it and it's only a single page long. By contrast I've always found the Vault method to be convoluted and confusing. I've tired to upload to there a few times but there are so many fields to fill out I got confused so I gave up. In Steam once you have everything set up right on your own HD all you need to do then is start the game in Steam open the console with ~ key and type WorkshopUpload <file directory> and you're done.

Anyway, with my two uploads... I was told once that if you make the game you want to play others will want to play it also. Well only 300+ on the first upload and 35 as of this post with the second and only 8 votes for the first. One of the things I don't like about modern single player RPG is that the area's you get to explore are really small, they appear that way to me anyway. So I made the area's in mine quite large and expansive. I love to explore.... Well seems I'm one of those rare people who likes to spend hours checking out every nook and cranny of a zone cause that's the one comment I was getting in IM, your area's are too big O_o Either that or the story is lackluster at best and boring at worse... Meh whatever, I had fun building them so I guess that's all that matters in end. Not like I'm getting paid to build them :p
    Post edited by Honoun on
    SirYugi007Naitaix
    The Neverwinter Connections multiplayer module list (no DM required) was recently updated:

https://neverwinterconnections.org/pages/multiplayer_mods

Additional recommendations based on firsthand experience are welcomed.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    https://neverwintervault.org/blog/greg/2019/mar/best-nwn-modules-according-greg-ad-2019

This is my favourite module list - if your criteria are originality and story, you can't go wrong with any of these.
    AndarianGusindamegamike15SirYugi007
    Isewein wrote: »
    https://neverwintervault.org/blog/greg/2019/mar/best-nwn-modules-according-greg-ad-2019

This is my favourite module list - if your criteria are originality and story, you can't go wrong with any of these.

Runes of Blood seems to not work with the ee. it uses installers and those were made for the original nwn. this did help me find some more modules to playthrough tho.
  • Shia_LuckShia_Luck Member Posts: 39
    megamike15 wrote: »

Runes of Blood seems to not work with the ee. it uses installers and those were made for the original nwn. this did help me find some more modules to playthrough tho.

You should find that the .exe installer can be treated exactly the same as a .zip file with whatever utility you use. I haven't tested it with that particular module but it works normally with others with an installer.

I made a thread on Steam for the best module suggestions: https://steamcommunity.com/app/704450/discussions/0/1626286205687011593/

Have fun :)
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited January 2020
    Just a few thoughts here. As to finding modules on the vault. Let's be honest here the tag based search sucks. However the search box that is on all the pages of the vault (but not on the forums) does work. Also, you can use google to search just on the vault - just put this in front
    https://neverwintervault.org:

Example -
    https://neverwintervault.org: what_you_are_searching_for

If you want a download tool that replaces the steam (aka stench as I like to call it) workshop for the vault, @Surazal has written and maintains with regular updates the "Neverwinter Nights Mod Installer Tool - NIT". So instead of complaining give it a try.

My final thought gets back to the original purpose of this thread. Now as I see it, there is one list of modules that could be useful and yet does not as yet exist (I thought it did but I can't find it anywhere). That is a list of the myriad of old TSR PnP modules that have been implemented as NwN modules. Almost all of them have been done. So anyone feel like creating such a list?

TR
    AndarianCalgacusIseweinTerrorble
    Shia_Luck wrote: »
    megamike15 wrote: »

You should find that the .exe installer can be treated exactly the same as a .zip file with whatever utility you use. I haven't tested it with that particular module but it works normally with others with an installer.

I made a thread on Steam for the best module suggestions: https://steamcommunity.com/app/704450/discussions/0/1626286205687011593/

Have fun :)

yeah i found that out afew days after making that comment.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Surazal @TarotRedhand I have a hard time installing Neverwinter Nights Mod Installer Tool. After installation when I run the program I have following error message:
    I have encountered an error that I have not been programmed to handle

I have written diagnostic information to a text file (NWN Installer Tool Error Log.txt) that I created on your desktop.

Please provide Surazal with the information in the test file to help resolve the problem.

I'm going to close the program now to avoid any risks of causing any issues.

I'm attaching error to help tracking down the issue. I have tried to install it in different locations, but each time result was like the error message above.
    PM @Surazai or leave a message on the Vault page.
  • CakerCaker Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2021
    Can anybody suggest decent modules suitable for existing epic characters (40th level)? Of both types: intended for level 40 or flexible enough to accomodate to this level.

With these restrictions:
    - no CEP required or CEP no higher than CEP 1.X (smartphone cannot handle the volume of CEP 2.X)
    - no permanent item strip (if it takes character's items but gives them back at the end, it is ok)
    - no permanent alterations to character's XP, level, skills, etc

I have tried to play (or aware of) the following titles:

Dragon's Bane: Rebirth of the Surface Alliance
    Endless Nights
    Infinite Dungeons
    A Time For Heroes
    Aldania
    Barbarians at the Gate

Are there any more that worth trying?
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Caker wrote: »
    Can anybody suggest decent modules suitable for existing epic characters (40th level)? Of both types: intended for level 40 or flexible enough to accomodate to this level.

With these restrictions:
    - no CEP required or CEP no higher than CEP 1.X (smartphone cannot handle the volume of CEP 2.X)
    - no permanent item strip (if it takes character's items but gives them back at the end, it is ok)
    - no permanent alterations to character's XP, level, skills, etc

I have tried to play (or aware of) the following titles:

Dragon's Bane: Rebirth of the Surface Alliance
    Endless Nights
    Infinite Dungeons
    A Time For Heroes
    Aldania
    Barbarians at the Gate

Are there any more that worth trying?

They have some good suggestions for high level modules here:

https://neverwintervault.org/article/reference/heros-path-module-list-nwn1
    The Neverwinter Connections community multiplayer module list has been updated and can be found here:

https://neverwinterconnections.org/pages/multiplayer_mods
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    I'm also wondering about modules that might have content for the end game. The Vault link above only shows epic levels from 20th-30th. I think that I remember reaching 40th level in the Aielund Saga, but my memory falls short, otherwise.