Skip to content

ALL GAMES: Possible FIX for Lag, Slowing, Graphical Issues.

@JuliusBorisov
@Dee

BACKGROUND
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so first some background. I decided to replay the game this weekend. My set up is not very expensive I game on laptops which are slower then most new phones... so I ive had this experience in the past and feels terrible.

So I went outside, carved a walking stick, and wrote letters to my dear friends that someday I shall return from my journey. I ended up spending a few hours trying to look for a solution checking the forums and did not find anything that worked for me and noticed people still having issues in current posts. Last night after reading Rasaad dialogue I thought maybe Selune was trying to tell me something. Maybe the Dark Moon had something to do with this. There were dark forces at work keeping one of my favorite games unplayable to me.

Jokes aside (Rasaad chat is one of the hardest things to follow lol) I was able to find something that worked since the lag was unbearable for me (single player game no internet needed... and I use the beamdog version of the game which worked in the past, players who use Steam version and still have lag after these changes might have a RAM issue if you have less then 4gb DDR3 or are running stuff like desktop composition or other programs.

Previously I had updated the graphics driver, updated windows, changed the resolution, ran in compatibility modes, ran without desktop composition, changed in game settings like turning weather off ect but none of these worked for me (but might work for you if you this does settings change does not).

THE FIX

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***** The Problem: SHADERS / "Translucent Shadows".. if you are having lag. ******

The Solution:
Go to your BaldursGate folder located in my Documents
Baldur.lua (open in notepad but do not set it as default... dumb windows does that sometimes, dont think it will cause issues but might).
*Uncheck the "Always use the selected program"

IF: You are experiencing LAG... unbearable slowing of the game in single player mode
General housekeeping: Check your laptop or PC make sure it is not overheating (check near the fan to make sure the CPU/GPU is being cooled).

BEFORE YOU DO ANY CHANGES COPY AND PASTE YOUR Baldur.lua file to desktop so you have a backup.
Also make sure you fully exit the game before making any changes.

*** Disable "Translucent Shadows" aka shaders.

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Translucent Shadows','1')
Change to '0'

Additional Settings (Disregard this if your problem/lag is fixed).
================================================================
If you are still having lag or issues... try these settings... I changed them from the default it also might have helped (removes sprites)

SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Show Black Space','1')
Change to '0'

SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Sprite Outlines','1')

Change to '0'

SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Character Highlights','1')

Change to '0'

Possible Non tested thing is maybe try changing this to '0'

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','3D Acceleration','1')

IF: You are having issues with Scrolling... can't use mouse.. make sure value is 1 (the default I had, windows might have a default setting where programs run in windowed mode even games I know its a windows 8 thing for sure).

SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Full Screen','1')

JuliusBorisovGusinda