Skip to content

Extras for preorders

Comments

• Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    @PhillipDaigle Thanks a lot for clearing this up! So these two things will be free? If so, I'm excited. I think its better if everyone gets them, less whining involved.
  • MenthroMenthro Member Posts: 85
    Who cares? You are getting the game cheaper then other people, you get a nifty forum badge, and you do get one of, if not the, greatest rpg's ever made. That's enough payment, to me, for a 2 month delay after 13-14 years.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Kristie83 said:

@PhillipDaigle Thanks a lot for clearing this up! So these two things will be free? If so, I'm excited. I think its better if everyone gets them, less whining involved.

Its not like if they had released just to pre-september 18 orderers would stay exclusive for long. Look what happened to the BG2 bonus merchants...

But good to hear of the easter egg :)
    elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Its not like if they had released just to pre-september 18 orderers would stay exclusive for long. Look what happened to the BG2 bonus merchants...

Look at anything that is given as a bonus to people who preorder. If it isn't added as future DLC, ala Fallout: NV, its added by modders anyway. The only real reason to preorder is to get a collectors editions with "feelies" and such anymore, and that's only if you're in love with the game.

• PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Kristie83 said:

@PhillipDaigle Thanks a lot for clearing this up! So these two things will be free?

Yes.
    elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

I'm not familiar with what happened to the BG2 merchants...what do you mean?
    @kristie83
    Okay, I can understand that then, I don't particularly agree with it but /shrug. I still feel that we already kind of DID get something extra by getting it cheaper. I bought myself a starburst with my saved money, totally worth it.
    Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Well in their case they were exclusive to the collectors edition or some kind of bonus edition. Regardless they've been available online for many years now (not sure how long since the game came out a long time ago).
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Well in their case they were exclusive to the collectors edition or some kind of bonus edition. Regardless they've been available online for many years now (not sure how long since the game came out a long time ago).
    They also eventually got added for everyone (who hadn't downloaded them as a mod already) in a ToB patch iirc.
    elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Were they available at a cost, or for free? That's not fair if they were supposed to be exclusive to the CE and then were free for everyone else...
    edited November 2012
    Shin said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

They also eventually got added for everyone (who hadn't downloaded them as a mod already) in a ToB patch iirc.
    Is Joluv added by that or only Deidre? I know with the gog.com version only Deidre is in it you have to actually download Joluv.

It was never an issue of cost with having the merchants once someone just figured out which files they were and threw them online. But to be honest this was soo long ago it stretches even my memory of Baldur's Gate.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    elminster said:

Shin said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Is Joluv added by that or only Deidre? I know with the gog.com version only Deidre is in it you have to actually download Joluv.

Hmm, pretty sure they're both included. Joluv sometimes runs off to another spot if there's fighting inside the Coronet though, but as long as you're patched you should be able to spawn him with the console if so - CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("wmart1").
    @elminster Hmmm...Interesting. I see why people would be a little pissed about this. At least the new extras will be given to everyone when they're finished. For free too! How exciting!
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    *You receive the tome of paying attention* + 1 to Arguing semantics!
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    My GM has a love/hate relationship with my paying attentionness. At least he can count on me not to miss something. I think he's resigned to just trying to make it work for him instead of against him.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Debaser said:

*You receive the tome of paying attention* + 1 to Arguing semantics!

In turn,
    "You receive the tome of Lower Wit" +1 to Spontaneous Sarcasm Outbursts. . . .

. .oh, wait a minute . . .

I also receive the aforementioned tome.

Bugger.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Thinking about it just for fun, the possibility to craft a magical item with your character's name on it would be pretty cool. Nothing fancy, just some personalised +1 or +2 weapon, shield, or armour. No one would want to steal that in a multiplayer game.
    Personally I'm holding out for the easter egg being a staff that you can have the smithy in Beregost forge along with the vampiric sword into some kind of super, possibly cursed (possibly not) swordstaff.
    A Staff of Wild Magic. Hit someone with it and you never know what'll happen.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    CaptRory said:

Thats the kind of advice I could have done with when I met the wife . . .

Anyhoo, moving on swiftly;

If the "extras" are for all. as Big Mr D says, then anything is possible. New quest. New Items. Maybe even another new character ( an evil twin set for Minsc and Boo perhaps?).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    elminster said:

Personally I'm holding out for the easter egg being a staff that you can have the smithy in Beregost forge along with the vampiric sword into some kind of super, possibly cursed (possibly not) swordstaff.

I heard a rumor(tm) that it's a pair of +1 Long Swords combined with the chain of a +3 Flail, resulting in a +4 Sword-chucks.

Only wieldable by unkitted Fighters, of course.
    edited November 2012
    CaptRory said:

Isn't that like Sheogorath's Wabbajack in skyrim?
    Post edited by elminster on
    Never played Skyrim.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Kristie83 said:

jaysl659 said:

Kristie83 said:

I don't give a rat's ass about a badge. I want something, anything for in-game use.

$2 discount if you preordered early enough, and now you can pre-download the game data.

In my opinion, giving in-game items, etc. to those that pre-order or pay more is always an awful policy. Unless they're purely aesthetic, as in some custom version of something available to everyone, just with a different name or something.
    The discount and the pre-download were a given. That's why I pre-ordered. When the delay happened, Trent Oster said "To all who have pre-ordered, we ask for your patience as we move toward our final release date -- and we will be working on something a little extra for you." This is why people who pre-ordered before the original release date are expecting a little something extra.

If not an in-game item, then perhaps a few dollar discount for a future BGEE expansion, or maybe BG2EE...Just an idea...
    I don't disagree that if something extra was promised, then it should be provided. Something along the lines of $2 off a dlc or something seems reasonable, I was specifically commenting on your request for it to be something with "in-game use," which I think is a bad idea, I also think the bonus merchants in the CE were a bad idea, although it was rectified when they were made available to everyone.

But anyway, it's a moot point now as it seems that the "something extra" was intended to be for everyone.
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Wabbajack wasn't just in Skyrim. Does no-one remember the classics? =(

Excerpt from Daggerfall:

Madness and chaos are the trademarks of Sheogorath. The Wabbajack embodies these same traits. Using the artifact on a creature will transform it into something else. The creature can become any one of the following monsters: rat, imp, spriggan, giant bat, grizzly bear, spider, nymph, harpy, skeletal warrior, giant, zombie, giant scorpion, iron atronach, flesh atronach, ice atronach, fire atronach, lich. The problem is the bearer has no way of controlling the transformation. He could change a giant bat into a lich, or a fire atronach into a rat. Wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack …
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    The moonwalking golem! :D
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    How about we all just be patient little children and stop pulling at Beamdogs apronstrings to wait for our surprise?