Skip to content

Instead of "Improve summoning", why not D&D - pnp summoning or at least IWD:EE summon?

SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
In trello there are a card ~improve summoning~

https://trello.com/c/HP3BRN2O

But IMHO this isn't enough to make a conjurer or a minion necromancer competitive. A Wizard that specializes on Conjuration have Transmutation as opposite school. That means that a "Conjurer" will unable to use Knock, Haste, Greater stoneskin, Tenser's transformation and Time Stop. They are argue the best spells to deal with someone with very high SR and since the conjurer can only have one summon, he can`t compete with other specialized wizards.

The suggestion of feats improving the "summon cap" is good, but still not good enough to make possible to make a necromancer closer to pnp. In DnD, a lv 20 wizard can control hundreds of undeads. I understand that by performance limitations, if you have 30 necromancers in a server, everyone controlling a small undead army, the game performance can be terrible, but why not allow PC`s to have the same limit as IWD:EE? In IWD:EE you can create an "squad" goblin like monsters with a tier 3 spell. And they are pretty useful soloing at hardest difficulty

Summon a goblin squad as tier 3 spell
source > http://www.gamebanshee.com/icewinddale/spells/magelevelthree.php

EDIT : Summoning should be like the 3.0 SRD

How summon monster works
source http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3e_SRD:Summon_Monster_IX
Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on

Comments

• PlokPlok Member Posts: 106
    Can't say too much about this, but the PRC Compendium has a switch which lets you have more than one summon at once. I can't say I've looked at the code too much, but it looks pretty hairy so I'm guessing it uses some nasty workaround.

It is very fun to play a Dread Necromancer with an army of skeletons murdering everything in the OC. Right up until you realise you're hardly earning any experience. :(
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Plok said:

Can't say too much about this, but the PRC Compendium has a switch which lets you have more than one summon at once. I can't say I've looked at the code too much, but it looks pretty hairy so I'm guessing it uses some nasty workaround.

It is very fun to play a Dread Necromancer with an army of skeletons murdering everything in the OC. Right up until you realise you're hardly earning any experience. :(

Yes, because party size penalty...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Added this thread link to the card.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    First of all, IWD is AD&D 2nd edition, so that is in my opinion not the way to go. Better then to implement (proper) 3rd ed. rules with some logical restraints (no summoning of Celestial Whales in a forest and so on).

First of all, IWD is AD&D 2nd edition, so that is in my opinion not the way to go. Better then to implement (proper) 3rd ed. rules with some logical restraints (no summoning of Celestial Whales in a forest and so on).

I only used IWD as an example. In IWD you can have 6 Efreets(spending all spell slots) while in nwn1 you can have only one summon
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    That is a limitation we agree should be removed, yes. :-)
  • TallisTallis Member Posts: 5
    See I've always wanted to be able to summon multiple undead/demons/creatures etc with one spell. So you could have a choice between several spells, some of which summon 2,3 or 4 weaker summons or a spell that summons 1 like badass summon. (I also think it would be really cool if more of these were alignment based)

It just always felt a bit naff when I wanted to play a badass necromaner or conjurer and then all I could summon was 1 thing (which especially at higher levels is pretty useless). Personally I always found that a little underwhelming.

And I know there's mods that remove the summoning limit, but it tedious to summon skeleton after skeleton, and it just didn't have the same immersive feel I was after. I always preferred the idea of summoning the cannon fodder and then stand behind melting someones face with a fireball :) But this is just my opinion, other people may feel differently and that's perfectly cool, but this, for me at least, is just something that always limited the roleplaying and immersive potential of playing different kinds of magic characters.
    Tallis said:

See I've always wanted to be able to summon multiple undead/demons/creatures etc with one spell. So you could have a choice between several spells, some of which summon 2,3 or 4 weaker summons or a spell that summons 1 like badass summon. (I also think it would be really cool if more of these were alignment based)

It just always felt a bit naff when I wanted to play a badass necromaner or conjurer and then all I could summon was 1 thing (which especially at higher levels is pretty useless). Personally I always found that a little underwhelming.

And I know there's mods that remove the summoning limit, but it tedious to summon skeleton after skeleton, and it just didn't have the same immersive feel I was after. I always preferred the idea of summoning the cannon fodder and then stand behind melting someones face with a fireball :) But this is just my opinion, other people may feel differently and that's perfectly cool, but this, for me at least, is just something that always limited the roleplaying and immersive potential of playing different kinds of magic characters.

Well said. Necromancers, Summoners, etc are popular in PnP and should be viable in nwn1. IMHO your HD should limit your summons.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    The issue with pick your own composition style of summon spells is that there's no good way to let you set exactly how your summon spell works without having the same kind of baggage as the current systems have. So think conversations or menus that need to be used instead of just casting a spell.

The issue with pick your own composition style of summon spells is that there's no good way to let you set exactly how your summon spell works without having the same kind of baggage as the current systems have. So think conversations or menus that need to be used instead of just casting a spell.

Fair point, and that was pretty common in the PRC, and I get that's kinda clunky though, but I get that in some situations it's the only way of doing things.

But even modifying the outcome of spells by alignment, which is already part of the game, does allow some variation. Then this could be taken further by having a greater variety of spells that use it but either summon one or multiple creatures. So for example as well as having planar binding, (which would act similarly to before, summoning one planar creature) there would be another spell of the same level, or close to it, which would bind multiple less powerful creatures instead, and then the same for spells which summon undead etc as well. This gives the player more choice and versatility while utilising a game mechanic which is already in place.

Then as SorcererV1ct0r said the power/amount of creatures summoned would be limited by the HD of your character, which is also a current game mechanic (eg. if you cast animate dead and either summon a zombie or skeleton champion)

Then what would be awesome is if further customisation could be achieved by adding new prestige classes (or improving pre-existing ones) which primarily focus on certain types of conjuration or necromancy. Eg. I always thought pale master was a bit naff but if you could animate multiple undead, and different kinds of them too, I think it would be much more enjoyable to play. Then a similar class could be created for planar summoning, which would be frickin awesome. I think it could be achievable and really add a new dimension to gameplay.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    One problem would be if you were up against an encounter that adjusted itself. You against a palemaster/necromancer. You come in with your mob of summons (lets say 10 summons) the encounter adjusted itself to 10 palemasters/necromancers and they all got there 10 summons. Right away that would be 121 npcs plus you.

No multiply that exponentially if you and 3 of your fiends are playing palemasters/necromancers.
    raz651 said:

One problem would be if you were up against an encounter that adjusted itself. You against a palemaster/necromancer. You come in with your mob of summons (lets say 10 summons) the encounter adjusted itself to 10 palemasters/necromancers and they all got there 10 summons. Right away that would be 121 npcs plus you.

No multiply that exponentially if you and 3 of your fiends are playing palemasters/necromancers.

Well, i don`t think that the game should be balanced in therms of PvP because disarming monks, time stop, etc, etc, etc can be very terrible to deal in a pvp scenario. If you wanna a PvP server, you can set your rules.

Also, a single fireball or any AoE spell can be deadly to an low level ~army~
    Keep in mind that a lot of what is suggested is not pnp/D&D but custom mechanics, which is already possible for modding. I think if you want the official game spell scripts to be altered in custom ways then make a good case why you think it should be changed.
    edited February 2018
    raz651 said:

Yeah a very valid point, I only ever play the single player, campaigns and expansions and stuff so its not something I'd really thought of, or know much about. I may be missing the point, and if so I'm sorry, but maybe there could different rules for multiplayer/self adjusting encounters, where characters/npcs cast the single more powerful summons instead of multiple ones, or more varying npcs spawn instead of all casters. I defo think there should be some sort of limit on summons you can have anyway (I remember this was a feature in BGII), but not like a super low one cause that would defeat the point. Although conjuring a demonic army would be pretty badass it's probably a tad excessive.

I admit I don't have the technical know-how about this kind of thing, so I don't entirely know the limits of whats possible to do but I think it's a cool idea that with some fine tuning could be really fun, if its possible to implement.

Keep in mind that a lot of what is suggested is not pnp/D&D but custom mechanics, which is already possible for modding. I think if you want the official game spell scripts to be altered in custom ways then make a good case why you think it should be changed.

Yeah, i guess it's isn't usual, but I think its cool, if possible to shake things up a bit. By pushing the boundaries, and doing something a bit different, particularly when bringing out a product that people have already played over and over, the unique changes then provide a new way of playing the game from everything to roleplay style to tactics, immersion and just general (re)experience of the game and this therefore exponentially increases its replayability.

But as I said in my first post, this is just my opinion, and it might not even be possible, and other people might not want it and that's totally cool but I think it would be a really awesome experiential addition to the updated version of the a well loved game. I personally have played and played it and it would be nice to play it again with some cool new changes, and this was just one of the things :)

raz651 said:

Well, i don`t think that the game should be balanced in therms of PvP because disarming monks, time stop, etc, etc, etc can be very terrible to deal in a pvp scenario. If you wanna a PvP server, you can set your rules.

Was not commenting on PVP, was just stating a fact of mechanics. NWN was not designed for armies. Think about all the lag when to many npcs spwaned on PW's.

Whether this will be a problem now when they are updating the engine, I do not know. But there will still be resource limits as to what can go into a the game. Going from 16bit to 32bit increases the amount of the available memory, as would going from 32bit to 64bit. There still would be the amount of memory that the operating system would take up as well as the basic game, (for single player, co-op, mult-player and having a dm client).

There has to be give and take. If you were to have this unlimited summoning what would you be willing to give up for it? I am not against having more creatures being summoned, but what would we have to lose? My choice would most likely not be your choice.

This is just something to keep in mind when wanting more.
    raz651 said:

raz651 said:

Was not commenting on PVP, was just stating a fact of mechanics. NWN was not designed for armies. Think about all the lag when to many npcs spwaned on PW's.

Whether this will be a problem now when they are updating the engine, I do not know. But there will still be resource limits as to what can go into a the game. Going from 16bit to 32bit increases the amount of the available memory, as would going from 32bit to 64bit. There still would be the amount of memory that the operating system would take up as well as the basic game, (for single player, co-op, mult-player and having a dm client).

There has to be give and take. If you were to have this unlimited summoning what would you be willing to give up for it? I am not against having more creatures being summoned, but what would we have to lose? My choice would most likely not be your choice.

This is just something to keep in mind when wanting more.
    In IWD:EE you can`t have more than 6 creatures summoned. In non EE IWD you can have unlimited summons and i IWD don`t tend to crash a lot. That is why i have said that at least nwn:ee type of summon should be implemented, but the ideal should be like pnp
    ok we will give you your 6 summons.

NWN is not limited to 1 to 6 players. You can have upwards to (we will say) 40 players.

40 times 6 is 240 extra npcs slots that have to be accounted for.

It may not happen that a pw will be full of summoning classes. But the programmers have to program it that way, otherwise someone may be slighted.

Then there is the UI. Where are they going to display all of these summoned npcs. Oh and not to forget familiars and/or pets. Then we have the monsters who can summon also. They will get their six summons, pets and/or familiars.

As I said before, I am not against more summoned creatures. I am just pointing out, the coding, memory resources that it will take up that can be allocated for other things.

I suggest that if a character specializes in summoning they get 2 summoned creatures otherwise the only get one.
    edited February 2018
    raz651 said:

ok we will give you your 6 summons.

NWN is not limited to 1 to 6 players. You can have upwards to (we will say) 40 players.

40 times 6 is 240 extra npcs slots that have to be accounted for.

It may not happen that a pw will be full of summoning classes. But the programmers have to program it that way, otherwise someone may be slighted.

Then there is the UI. Where are they going to display all of these summoned npcs. Oh and not to forget familiars and/or pets. Then we have the monsters who can summon also. They will get their six summons, pets and/or familiars.

As I said before, I am not against more summoned creatures. I am just pointing out, the coding, memory resources that it will take up that can be allocated for other things.

I suggest that if a character specializes in summoning they get 2 summoned creatures otherwise the only get one.

In servers, should be by server settings, a lot of servers disable or limits the ~range~ of stop time because this can be disturbing to gameplay in a multiplayer setting and lets me honest here. Play in a server with 4 guys casting stop time and resting all time is far more terrible than with 40 dread necromancers . You can play IWD:EE online too and i don`t see any problem with summons in IWD.

PS : Check the PRC servers. They don't have any problem with Dread Necromancers.

How many creatures i can have at time

Two summoned creatures are far bellow what a conjurer/necromancer can do in PNP, in nwn1, in nwn2 and be forced to "specialize" will simple make the class non viable.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    While I would like to see multiple summons added, I cannot bear to imagine how you cam get through hallways when you have 14 bone golems following you.
    DerpCity said:

While I would like to see multiple summons added, I cannot bear to imagine how you cam get through hallways when you have 14 bone golems following you.

Only cheated to see how many i can have at max level, din't played this way. 300 HD worth of creatures. If a lv 20 sorc use the same spell, he will be able to create only 2 of this. The fact that summoning is so limited in non modded NWN makes a Conjurer wizard almost impossible to play....
  • tfoxtfox Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2018

DerpCity said:

Only cheated to see how many i can have at max level, din't played this way. 300 HD worth of creatures. If a lv 20 sorc use the same spell, he will be able to create only 2 of this. The fact that summoning is so limited in non modded NWN makes a Conjurer wizard almost impossible to play....
    When you consider summon monsters lasts 24 ingame hours (unless modified) rather then CL rounds and the fact conjuration focused wizard has more spells then just summons at their disposal, not really. I'd much rather one heavily buffed basically eternal elemental summon with all their immunities that I can use heal kits on for the cost of one spell slot rather then using several summons at the same time that get in each others way and are far to costly to buff with a very short duration quality over quantity I suppose.

That said it's already possible to change the limitations on the spell alongside the NPC/s that's summoned (one could even go so far to setup a conversation menu easy enough that a player can choose from a list what will be summoned if they so desired) and if one truly wishes to change it the number of NPC's brought forth from one casting as well.

From a server point of view, every additional NPC in a party = more lag related overhead (npc path finding, the AI itself all the additional combat info being streamed to the parties combat log and whatever else) and a headache with the way it changes the balance of things they may have already planned around. From a single player module view, either the module creator can change the way such works in their module or the one downloading such could do such, I'm not really for this change and I'm a fan of mages in particular.

I'd much rather see them add more spells for each of the different schools of magic to be honest, both offensive and defensive in nature to move away from summon one creature and then have the exact same loadout of defensive and offensive spells as everyone else uses.
    edited February 2018
    tfox said:

DerpCity said:

When you consider summon monsters lasts 24 ingame hours (unless modified) rather then CL rounds and the fact conjuration focused wizard has more spells then just summons at their disposal, not really. I'd much rather one heavily buffed basically eternal elemental summon with all their immunities that I can use heal kits on for the cost of one spell slot rather then using several summons at the same time that get in each others way and are far to costly to buff with a very short duration quality over quantity I suppose.

That said it's already possible to change the limitations on the spell alongside the NPC/s that's summoned (one could even go so far to setup a conversation menu easy enough that a player can choose from a list what will be summoned if they so desired) and if one truly wishes to change it the number of NPC's brought forth from one casting as well.

From a server point of view, every additional NPC in a party = more lag related overhead (npc path finding, the AI itself all the additional combat info being streamed to the parties combat log and whatever else) and a headache with the way it changes the balance of things they may have already planned around. From a single player module view, either the module creator can change the way such works in their module or the one downloading such could do such, I'm not really for this change and I'm a fan of mages in particular.

I'd much rather see them add more spells for each of the different schools of magic to be honest, both offensive and defensive in nature to move away from summon one creature and then have the exact same loadout of defensive and offensive spells as everyone else uses.

No, as i've said, if you are a conjurer, transmutation is your opposite school. That means that a "Conjurer" will unable to use Knock, Haste, Greater stoneskin, Tenser's transformation and Time Stop. They are argue the best spells to deal with someone with very high SR and since the conjurer can only have one summon, he can't relay on his summons to kill enemies.

And again, using your logic, Time Stop should be removed from the game, instead of limited in some MP servers because time stop is like a "9 seconds artificial lag" and any sorc can cast 6 times per rest.

About balance "but BioWare has declared that the game is not, has never been, and never will be balanced for PvP. Thus, multiplayer servers that encourage PvP typically employ customizations to provide PvP balance." http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/PvP

And again, other games who doesn't have limited summons don't have performance problems and PRC servers don't have performance problems. If summons are that bad, why not simple remove instead of putting something that is soo terrible that is completely useless(mainly in high level) compared to PnP and IWD? Nobody is forcing you to play with multiple summons or to all servers to not limit summons. We only want that a D&D game make pnp classes viable. I played a lot of PRC servers and never experienced LAG. IF summons are badly for server performance, they will be limited in MP games, as time stop is limited in many servers. But if i want in my game control an undead army like i can do in pnp, what is the problem? Even Diablo 2 don't have problems with Necromancers with an army of skeletons, resurrected enemies and etc
  • tfoxtfox Member Posts: 87

No, as i've said, if you are a conjurer, transmutation is your opposite school. That means that a "Conjurer" will unable to use Knock, Haste, Greater stoneskin, Tenser's transformation and Time Stop. They are argue the best spells to deal with someone with very high SR and since the conjurer can only have one summon, he can't relay on his summons to kill enemies.

And again, using your logic, Time Stop should be removed from the game, instead of limited in some MP servers because time stop is like a "9 seconds artificial lag" and any sorc can cast 6 times per rest.

About balance "but BioWare has declared that the game is not, has never been, and never will be balanced for PvP. Thus, multiplayer servers that encourage PvP typically employ customizations to provide PvP balance." http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/PvP

And again, other games who doesn't have limited summons don't have performance problems and PRC servers don't have performance problems. If summons are that bad, why not simple remove instead of putting something that is soo terrible that is completely useless(mainly in high level) compared to PnP and IWD? Nobody is forcing you to play with multiple summons or to all servers to not limit summons. We only want that a D&D game make pnp classes viable. I played a lot of PRC servers and never experienced LAG. IF summons are badly for server performance, they will be limited in MP games, as time stop is limited in many servers. But if i want in my game control an undead army like i can do in pnp, what is the problem? Even Diablo 2 don't have problems with Necromancers with an army of skeletons, resurrected enemies and etc

What a wondrously pointless post, one doesn't need to choose a specialization to really play a conjuration focused wizard in NWN (Specialization even in PnP doesn't generally grant you much more the a few spell slots, you can be focused in a school enough with spell focus more often then not to say you're a conjurer), but even missing out on your couple of spells, knock is hardly needed with a high INT you've more then enough skill points to spare on open lock, Haste can be acquired via the use of the vastly superior mass haste spell due to a bioware mixed up, greater stone skin is outclassed by premonition anyway, Tenser's Transformation is the worst polymorph in the game and Time Stop is overrated.

I didn't mention anything about PvP Balance, so GG on going on a rather strange tangent with that random bioware quote from what 2003/4 ?, a server and even just a single player modules can be balanced around the what is already present and easily accomplished for PvE challenges for level ranges so that challenges can be challenging.

Thankyou for yet again mentioning the PRC though, it sort of proves my point that it is already easily accomplished and not really needed for Beamdog to add to the game when the community already has ways of adding such. If you wish to play the game with an undead army, good for you, you can already do just that and it's not that difficult, if you dislike the PRC there are likely other options on the vault you can find that'll help you accomplish such in your single player games (or the server you host yourself) or you could look into writing your own and creating your own NPC's (hell the community is made up of that many helpful individuals if you ask in the right place they'd even give you advice on how you could accomplish what you're after).

Regardless of your experience on a handful of PRC servers (I've never seen one with more then 8 people connected at a time, was there ever a point where 20+ players were connected the majority of the day?) there is overhead involved with the path finding for NPCs, the combat info that gets streamed to players in party with such alongside their AI. Diablo 2 and IWD have really nothing to do with any of this, they're on different engines with different styles of gameplay and often played host to less people on a server.

I'm not completely against the idea, but I don't really like it as time could be spent on better things considering this is already a possibility and it'd just be yet another buff to casters, I'd want either the NPC's summoned nerfed or the duration made to match the PnP duration in such a case.

Summon Creatures at a low level are basically the same as having another free party member along getting attacks per round and absorbing damage. At a high level (I'm talking 15-18) with a full alotment of buffs they become a slightly weaker then a comparable leveled fighter in games that have moderate strength magical items for which you can stand behind and cast spells at (Fire/Water elementals getting bombed with fireballs, confusion, stinking clouds and whatever else is significantly more powerful then an equal level fighter all by himself. If you're looking into high epic level play, even having multiple short duration summons out isn't really going to make them useful as they'll just be so far out classed they die effortlessly regardless if the encounter was made to be challenging to a high level epic character.
    tfox said:

What a wondrously pointless post, one doesn't need to choose a specialization to really play a conjuration focused wizard in NWN (Specialization even in PnP doesn't generally grant you much more the a few spell slots(1),(...)greater stone skin is outclassed by premonition(2) anyway, Tenser's Transformation is the worst polymorph in the game and Time Stop is overrated.

(...)

Thankyou for yet again mentioning the PRC though, it sort of proves my point that it is already easily accomplished and not really needed for Beamdog to add to the game(3) (...)

I'm not completely against the idea, but I don't really like it as time could be spent on better things considering this is already a possibility and it'd just be yet another buff to casters(4), I'd want either the NPC's summoned nerfed or the duration made to match the PnP duration in such a case.

(...) If you're looking into high epic level play, even having multiple short duration summons out isn't really going to make them useful as they'll(5) just be so far out classed they die effortlessly regardless if the encounter was made to be challenging to a high level epic character.

1 - In PnP this few extra spell slots means a lot of more creatures summoned. In NWN means that you lose a lot of spells like time stop.

2 - You are comparing lv 3 spells with lv 6 and lv 6 with lv 8... The fact that a Wiz can spend a lower level spell and have almost the same effect while a conjurer need to wait high level and spend high level spells... And timestop is not overrated. Without timestop, kill Mephistopheles in hotu will be impossible.

3 - No, this is not truth. You can't play any module that you want with PRC. Few modules are PRC compatible. And the community found ways to add this BECAUSE is a demand for players. If Bioware puts conjuration/necromancy like PnP, i will be able to play Ravenloft, EoB and a lot of modules with multiple summons.

4 - Casters aren't buffed in NWN. A lot of spells that ignore SR in PnP don't ignore in NWN. Put casters = PnP is not a buff, is simple a un-nerf.

5 - This isn't truth in IWD. In nwn i agree that summons are useless in high level, but in IWD, see how easy my Earth elementals and Shades destroyed 2 Iron Golems in about 15 seconds(0:30 to 0:45).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsaFosVlEqc
    If you're talking about certain specific class summons in NWN or you're talking about PRC summons then you're not talking about pnp or D&D summons. If you mention pnp and necromancer then I or any rational person familiar with the rules will think ah yes 100 or 300 level 1 human zombies, it's not really that useful at high levels.

What you're asking for in this thread is the opposite of pnp summons, you're asking for regular spells and spell like abilities that summon creatures that exceed pnp limits and scale up to epic levels for free.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't request these things but pnp is not a justification for the request and even undermines it.

If you're talking about certain specific class summons in NWN or you're talking about PRC summons then you're not talking about pnp or D&D summons. If you mention pnp and necromancer then I or any rational person familiar with the rules will think ah yes 100 or 300 level 1 human zombies, it's not really that useful at high levels.

What you're asking for in this thread is the opposite of pnp summons, you're asking for regular spells and spell like abilities that summon creatures that exceed pnp limits and scale up to epic levels for free.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't request these things but pnp is not a justification for the request and even undermines it.

No, i an not asking for anything like pnp. Or 300 summons. Only using PRC as example that is possible to implement without performance problems. I asked for at least IWD:EE summoning. I know that implement something like PnP is too then hard(limiting by HD).
    It is not too hard to implement pnp summoning rules, it's actually quite simple to make them as weak as they are in pnp. The issue is that if you take pnp summon monster then yes you can summon an elder earth elemental provided you have connection to the plane but it will be slightly weaker, and in 3.0 it will never land a scratch on 1 iron golem let alone 2. It will die quickly but if it survives it will only last for 6 seconds per level.

Okay, so ... maybe switch to 3.5? Sure, then iron golem is slightly weaker too but it still beats earth elemental which is also weaker than in 3.0 and also it still only lasts for 6 seconds per level.

The fact is that NWN already has boosted summons, you're really just asking for them to be boosted even more. Keep that in mind when you're trying to make your case.

It is not too hard to implement pnp summoning rules, it's actually quite simple to make them as weak as they are in pnp. The issue is that if you take pnp summon monster then yes you can summon an elder earth elemental provided you have connection to the plane but it will be slightly weaker, and in 3.0 it will never land a scratch on 1 iron golem let alone 2. It will die quickly but if it survives it will only last for 6 seconds per level.

Okay, so ... maybe switch to 3.5? Sure, then iron golem is slightly weaker too but it still beats earth elemental which is also weaker than in 3.0 and also it still only lasts for 6 seconds per level.

The fact is that NWN already has boosted summons, you're really just asking for them to be boosted even more. Keep that in mind when you're trying to make your case.

One iron golem defeats an elemental BUT 3 elementas + 3 shades "buffed"...

PS : No, NWN din't boosted summons. Nerfed in number and in strength. Summon monster IX can summon a celestial roc and a lot of other powerful creatures http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Summon_Monster
    edited February 2018
    Use the right chart if you are trying to make your case. NWN uses 3e rules not 3.5

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3e_SRD:Summon_Monster_IX

Edit: If you want to use the 3.5 rule for summoning. It says it only summons 1 creature with the spell. Not a bunch of creatures.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Summon_Monster_I