Skip to content

I've found an answer to question: Why when charname dies it's game over?

2»

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    1° - Because when a children of the god of death dies, they can't be ressurected. The right question is why when Imoen dies, we can ressurect her.

2° - and the answer to your question and the question raised above: for playability, the game should have a minimum risk involved to make it fun, for that reason the main char make a game over when he dies, also for that reason they allow us to ressurect Imoen.

At least that's what i think about this issue.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    Kirkor said:

Ducktales! WOOHOO!

Imagine this song while fighting Sarevok.
    Most. Epic. Thing. EVER!

Imagine Pat Benetar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" playing to the final fight: "You're a reeeeeeeal tough cookie, something something something.... HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT"
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    Actually, I think the answer is quite simple:

Assuming your character could be resurrected (He's the son of a God, afterall) by mortals, I doubt he would retain any of his godlike powers upon resurrection. Otherwise, don't you think Sarevok would have been surrounded by 50 clerics? You killed him and the game ended, and he shares the same godly lineage as you.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Does it need an answer? Thats a mechanic found in most games, one which adds a sense of excitement and thrill when being brave in encounters etc.

That mechanic is very important to me.
  • NullCascadeNullCascade Member Posts: 5
    So, there's always the "You're a child of Bhaal, if you die it's over!" theory. However, how does this explain the other Bhaalspawn(s) that travel in your party throughout the games.

Honestly I think it's like that just because it would be annoying to design most of the game if almost every quest dialog didn't assume that the PC was alive. They'd have to do quite a few odd story things if each encounter took into account that the player character could be dead.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2012
    spoiler: It's because your essence is absorbed into Bhaal's essence. Why do you think Sarevok melted at his death? The death sequence for charname shows it as well.

and about Imoen... I believe she could be a second generation Bhaalspawn. or it's a retcon
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    It's only Imoen @NullCascade, that can die and be ressurected. Sarevok in ToB already lost his power by ressurect himself by his own forces.
  • AberdashAberdash Member Posts: 42
    edited November 2012

So, there's always the "You're a child of Bhaal, if you die it's over!" theory. However, how does this explain the other Bhaalspawn(s) that travel in your party throughout the games.

There is only Imoen. She originally wasn't a bhaalspawn and when BG2s story was written she was supposed to have been killed by Irenicus.

• BamBam Member Posts: 38

Kirkor said:

Ducktales! WOOHOO!

Imagine this song while fighting Sarevok.
    Most. Epic. Thing. EVER!

Imagine Pat Benetar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" playing to the final fight: "You're a reeeeeeeal tough cookie, something something something.... HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT"
    From memory, I believe it goes...

You're a real tough cookie/with a long history/Of breaking little hearts/like the one in me/Well, that's all right/Let's see how you do it/Something something something/Let's get down to it/ Hit me with your best shot.

I can't believe I forgot part of it. And yes, it would be amazing final fight music.